Sign in to follow this  
NJDan

Speaking of Lower Division College Wrestlers

I don't follow MMA at all, but I was intrigued about the history of Kamaru Usman, who just knocked out the guy who knocked out poor Ben Askren. Turns out he was a D2 champ and aspiring Olympian despite not starting wrestling until his sophomore year of high school. It's not clear to me if he had any real shot at the Olympic team. Did he? It seems that a lot of top MMA guys were not quite first rank wrestlers, though some, like Askren and Cormier, were first rank.

Here is Wikipedia on Usman's wrestling career:

Usman started wrestling in his sophomore year in high school, at Bowie High School in Arlington, Texas. Because Usman's wrestling coach at the time had trouble pronouncing his first name Kamarudeen, he got the nickname "Marty" when he joined the team and it stuck with him during his amateur wrestling career.[21][22] After compiling a 53-3 record in high school wrestling and placing third at the Texas state championships, Usman wrestled alongside Jon Jones at the senior national tournament before leaving for college.[23]

In college, Usman wrestled in Iowa at William Penn University for one year, where he was an NAIA national tournament qualifier in 2007, but was unable to attend the tournament due to a snowstorm; half of his team and his head coach, however, had left early for the tournament without him, which frustrated Usman and influenced him to leave William Penn.[24] He later transferred to the University of Nebraska at Kearney (UNK), which had previously tried to recruit him under advisement of then-UNK wrestler Tervel Dlagnev, and subsequently helped the Lopers win their first-ever team title in 2008.[24] Usman placed top 3 in the nation all three years he attended UNK, and was a two-time national finalist.[25] He became the NCAA Division II national champion at 174 pounds in 2010, finishing the season with a 44-1 record and 30 straight wins.[26]

Shortly after his folkstyle career was over, Usman turned his attention to freestyle wrestling and became a resident of the United States Olympic Training Center, with hopes of making the 2012 Olympic team.[27][28] Despite making the US University World Team in 2010, Usman was sidetracked by injuries and eventually abandoned his Olympic goal after failing to qualify for the '12 US Olympic Team Trials, turning his attention to mixed martial arts instead.[29][30] Former National Football League (NFL) star Christian Okoye, who has the nickname "The Nigerian Nightmare" trademarked, gave his blessing for Usman to use it.

Edited by NJDan
added note

Oh, just noted that he was not a great freestyler. Wiki says his record, almost all against domestic competition, was just 36-35. Pretty mush all his opponents whose names I recognize beat him.

Edited by NJDan

14 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Ha! So he did, tho it seems that Downey was just 19 at the time.

He entered the tournament!  Also has a win over a Paulson and JP O'Conner.  Took a period from Keith Gavin.  

Edited by AHamilton

There is footage if him wrestling with Cael at the OTC, and footage of him big brothering Mack Lewnes a bit.  He looks strong as an oxe but pretty raw in his technique.

Dude was/is a very good wrestler.

Edited by Drew87

On 4/25/2021 at 7:21 PM, NJDan said:

In college, Usman wrestled in Iowa at William Penn University for one year, where he was an NAIA national tournament qualifier in 2007, but was unable to attend the tournament due to a snowstorm; half of his team and his head coach, however, had left early for the tournament without him, which frustrated Usman and influenced him to leave William Penn.[2

I remember that storm. Surprised more teams didn't get stuck. William Penn was real good back in those days. If I remember correctly, they had 2, maybe 3, vans and decided that they couldn't make it after they had already left because they had to take IA back roads to get to the interstate. They piled their Srs. and AA contenders into one van and eventually made it. My teammate (placed 1, 2, 4, 4) won the Outstanding wrestler award and beat a William Penn kid (placed 2, 2, 3, 4) in the finals.

11 hours ago, PinFallRecruit said:

I remember that storm. Surprised more teams didn't get stuck. William Penn was real good back in those days. If I remember correctly, they had 2, maybe 3, vans and decided that they couldn't make it after they had already left because they had to take IA back roads to get to the interstate. They piled their Srs. and AA contenders into one van and eventually made it. My teammate (placed 1, 2, 4, 4) won the Outstanding wrestler award and beat a William Penn kid (placed 2, 2, 3, 4) in the finals.

Can't fault him for getting angry over that. 

On 4/29/2021 at 9:25 AM, TobusRex said:

The bad weather endured by the guys in the Midwest and Northeast during wrestling season is insane. 

Yet we still have more options of college wrestling than warmer states...