treep2000

Junior / Senior Nationals

Looking to find the latest registration link.  Anyone have it?  Here's what I've found thus far:

https://www.flowrestling.org/events/6959189-2021-uww-junior-and-senior-nationals

https://www.flowrestling.org/articles/6965549-junior-senior-nationals-registrations-are-getting-tough

Interested to see the last minute additions and such as the week progresses. 

Thanks all

There are only 4 wrestlers entered so far who were also OTT qualifiers, but none at the weights they wrestled OTT. Shows the uphill battle these guys faced trying to squeeze into just 6 weight classes.

• Nahshon Garrett 61 vs 65 at OTT
  • James Green 70 vs 65
  • Nate Jackson 92 vs 86
  • Kyven Gadson 92 vs 97

If memory serves correctly, all the OTT qualifiers also qualify for the World Team Trials, so no surprise that only four have signed up for Senior Nationals.

Special mention goes out to my personal hero, Erik Hinkle. I respect the man immensely even if he is absolutely insane for taking the mat with these guys.

1 hour ago, Alwayswrestling said:

Is Cox entered?

I don't know what's going on with his appeal.  I wouldn't expect him to make the decent to 92kg unless he knew 100% he wasn't going to have to wrestle Snyder at 97kg for the spot.

I don't think he's too worried about having to run the gauntlet at 92kg for WTT anyways.

14 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I don't know what's going on with his appeal.  I wouldn't expect him to make the decent to 92kg unless he knew 100% he wasn't going to have to wrestle Snyder at 97kg for the spot.

I don't think he's too worried about having to run the gauntlet at 92kg for WTT anyways.

Why would he have to run the gauntlet at 92kg?  Doesn't his world title put him in the finals?

2 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

There are only 4 wrestlers entered so far who were also OTT qualifiers, but none at the weights they wrestled OTT. Shows the uphill battle these guys faced trying to squeeze into just 6 weight classes.

• James Green 70 vs 65
  • Nate Jackson 92 vs 86
  • Kyven Gadson 92 vs 97

If memory serves correctly, all the OTT qualifiers also qualify for the World Team Trials, so no surprise that only four have signed up for Senior Nationals.

Special mention goes out to my personal hero, Erik Hinkle. I respect the man immensely even if he is absolutely insane for taking the mat with these guys.

I found it interesting to see Gadsen at 92 instead of 97.  

it's interesting to see none of the Buckeyes registered. 

57kg - Malik's "better" style is Free, that's for sure.  I figured he'd lace em up and get after it in Free

61kg - Decatur.  Proving to be a dud in folk, but "built" for free.  Figured he'd give it a run as well, and maybe gain some confidence back

65kg - D'Emilio / Echemendia:  Supposed to be Echemendia's wheelhouse?  Where is he?  Would like to see Dylan give it a crack

70kg (or 65kg?) - Sasso?  Competed a bunch in the offseason in Free.  Took some losses, had some wins.  Always a gamer.  Where is he?

74kg-79kg - Ethan Smith / Kaleb romero:  Where are these guys?  I thought they both had some Free experience?  I recall Kaleb in some free matches a few years back and doing pretty well.

Kharchla?  I presume still injured, thus, can't show? 

I don't expect Jordan to do anything but folk, we saw Hoffman and Singletary recently, as well as Orndorff and Boykin. 

57kg - Malik's "better" style is Free, that's for sure.  I figured he'd lace em up and get after it in Free
61kg - Decatur.  Proving to be a dud in folk, but "built" for free.  Figured he'd give it a run as well, and maybe gain some confidence back

Is Malik better in freestyle, or has he mainly wrestled guys who are smaller than the college 125s?

Decatur missed 133 for the biggest event of his season. Hard to imagine him at 61 in April. 65 maybe.

15 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

• James Green 70 vs 65
  • Nate Jackson 92 vs 86
  • Kyven Gadson 92 vs 97

Not many Penn State entries as well.

On 4/26/2021 at 5:30 PM, treep2000 said:

65kg - D'Emilio / Echemendia:  Supposed to be Echemendia's wheelhouse?  Where is he?  Would like to see Dylan give it a crack

70kg (or 65kg?) - Sasso?  Competed a bunch in the offseason in Free.  Took some losses, had some wins.  Always a gamer.  Where is he?

74kg-79kg - Ethan Smith / Kaleb romero:  Where are these guys?  I thought they both had some Free experience?  I recall Kaleb in some free matches a few years back and doing pretty well.

Kharchla?  I presume still injured, thus, can't show? 

I don't expect Jordan to do anything but folk, we saw Hoffman and Singletary recently, as well as Orndorff and Boykin. 

Does anyone think Sasso's style is a fit for FS? his ankle diving defense rolling around on his own back is troublesome when you envision him wrestling FS. He would really need to focus on changing his style to achieve FS success. IMO

29 minutes ago, DuckFor2 said:

Does anyone think Sasso's style is a fit for FS? his ankle diving defense rolling around on his own back is troublesome when you envision him wrestling FS. He would really need to focus on changing his style to achieve FS success. IMO

I saw him at Schultz wrestle David Carr and beat him.  I think his style introduces a ton of risk, but also a ton of reward.  I think he can go with the 2nd and 3rd tiers right now and be competitive but do agree that he needs more experience and a slight stylistic change in order to seriously contend at either 65 or 70kg.

Sasso has very good defense and is funky, but he doesn't usually roll on his own back often. He has a good trick knee and is great at passing the shoulder to threaten a cradle in the crackdown position. He's not exactly Dean Heil out there.

15 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Sasso has very good defense and is funky, but he doesn't usually roll on his own back often. He has a good trick knee and is great at passing the shoulder to threaten a cradle in the crackdown position. He's not exactly Dean Heil out there.

fair enough, i think he too realizes he needs to change it up a bit to achieve post college success.

Stupid question that has probably already been answered:

If Cox's appeal is denied and he decides to go 92kg for 2021 worlds, does he have to qualify for Senior Nationals via US Open or is he previously qualified from being a reigning world champ at the weight?

5 hours ago, IronChef said:

Senior freestyle participation as of 1:30pm Wednesday

57kg 10
61kg 20
65kg 19
70kg 30
74kg 32
79kg 32
86kg 19
92kg 14
97kg 16
125kg 25

Total 217

Greco is at 116, and women is at 43. 458 in junior freestyle and 134 in junior Greco

Ok, that is pretty good representation. 

Thanks!

mspart

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

So sad to see...

I don't think of it as sad necessarily because I don't think it is part of a trend. I look at it as a one time thing due to the compression of the Olympics and Worlds and how that has a knock on effect to this tournament (no longer a WTT qualifier). By next year I expect a return to the normal level of entry as the tournament will have greater meaning.

32 minutes ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I don't think of it as sad necessarily because I don't think it is part of a trend. I look at it as a one time thing due to the compression of the Olympics and Worlds and how that has a knock on effect to this tournament (no longer a WTT qualifier). By next year I expect a return to the normal level of entry as the tournament will have greater meaning.

I was referring directly to the disparity in juniors between FS and GR.  I don't think compressed Olympic and world has anything to do with that. Sad to see only 1 in 3 or 4 wrestling both.