treep2000

Junior / Senior Nationals

46 minutes ago, spladle08 said:

At Worlds?

He's got a decent shot at a non Olympic weight if he can make a team and get a decent draw.

7.77% chance he snags a world medal before retiring I'd guess

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask Frank Rizzo because he knows more than me.

If his shoulder is still jacked I don’t see it unfortunately 

15 hours ago, AHamilton said:

Cassioppi did better than I expected.  Is he our #4 guy?

I would like to see Cass vs. Kerk in freestyle, and the winner of that match can square off against Nelson for #4 on the ladder.

Jesse Mendez Indiana high school hammer and D. Washington current Indiana University hammer, from Indiana, will be on the junior team representing USA in Russia. 
Dj was a good catch for Angel at IU, would be a feather in his hat to bring Jesse in the fold. 

24 minutes ago, southend said:

Jesse Mendez Indiana high school hammer and D. Washington current Indiana University hammer, from Indiana, will be on the junior team representing USA in Russia. 
Dj was a good catch for Angel at IU, would be a feather in his hat to bring Jesse in the fold. 

I have to think Indiana is the front runner with the connection to the Region Academy and Billy Hawk..?

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

I have to think Indiana is the front runner with the connection to the Region Academy and Billy Hawk..?

I’m sure IU would take all the potential connection that may help sway Jesse, but with him having the pick of pretty much any DI school in the nation it’s till a hard sell for the Hoosiers to get him.  The depth of national tournament level workout partners some of other top schools can provide is hard to pass up for someone with legit NCAA Title and Olympic aspirations. The Hoosiers are going in the right direction for sure, but it still maybe a little early in their growth to be front-runner for the Blue Chip guys.  However, showing they can continue to polish some diamonds in the rough, like Washington, will go a long way towards attracting higher ranked national prospects (and then in turn some Blue Chips will start giving the school a closer look).  I see Purdue in similar situation, but Ersland has got them a couple years up on IU in terms of proving their room development to potential to higher ranked national prospects. 

Edited by MadMardigain

13 hours ago, Lurker said:

It will take one guy ,like Jesse ,to get the ball rolling for Indiana program. Some one who will take the chance.This is a perfect opportunity for it to happen. Indiana’s lower weights have gotten a lot better since the new staff started. Bringing in Hudkins , Rooks and several others.  Upper weights maybe not be  the right time. But you can see the Indiana room getting better and better. 

A point I don't think anyone on this thread made.... the competition was stronger at the non-Olympic weights because those winners (as it turned out, Mack, Green, Lujan, and Jackson) will represent the US at Pan-Ams.  For that reason, I'm a little surprised we didn't see a couple more threats at 61kg like Graff or Gross here..... Pan-Ams is a great place to get some easy seeding points, so if you win here and win Pan Ams and then become the rep, you have a great chance of getting seeded at Worlds (especially Graff, who already has some seeding points from the tournament in Rome). 

One theory is that since Pan Ams is very close in time to the Poland Open, which is also a seeded tournament, it would be a challenge (and a crazy amount of travel) to attend both.  I could see Graff (who has won Pan Ams a couple times before) thinking there is more to be gained by wrestling a much stronger field in Poland and getting his hands on some top 61kg guys vs teching some Ecuadorians and Bolivians in 42 seconds, even if he may not earn as many seeding points.

1 hour ago, southend said:

It will take one guy ,like Jesse ,to get the ball rolling for Indiana program. Some one who will take the chance.This is a perfect opportunity for it to happen. Indiana’s lower weights have gotten a lot better since the new staff started. Bringing in Hudkins , Rooks and several others.  Upper weights maybe not be  the right time. But you can see the Indiana room getting better and better. 

Very much agree.  Really just depends on what Jesse wants.  If he wants the absolute best in the room around him, he won't go to Indiana.  If he wants and believes he can be the start of a big turn around in his home state and maintaining the connections he came up with, he'll go to Indiana.  I think another big factor is what is the bigger priority for him.....NCAA aspirations, or post college international aspirations?

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Very much agree.  Really just depends on what Jesse wants.  If he wants the absolute best in the room around him, he won't go to Indiana.  If he wants and believes he can be the start of a big turn around in his home state and maintaining the connections he came up with, he'll go to Indiana.  I think another big factor is what is the bigger priority for him.....NCAA aspirations, or post college international aspirations?

You are right. Angel needs a big fish to bring some light onto the program , I doubt Iowa , penn state, Ohio st. , Michigan or Nebraska will ever let this happen.