Wrestleknownothing

How are those personal relationships, Ben Askren?

Not strictly wrestling related, but wrestling adjacent (?) given how much Ben Askren stumps for crypto on FRL.

According to an article on Bloomberg:

"About 60% of crypto investors say their belief or investments in the space have had a negative impact on their personal relationships, according to a SurveyMonkey survey performed on behalf of .Tech Domains that looked at numerous issues around digital assets. What’s more, there’s a direct correlation between the percentage of someone’s net worth that’s invested in cryptocurrencies and the likelihood they say their personal relationships have been impacted negatively."

"The .Tech Domains survey results do look somewhat daunting. About 25% of those who’ve invested 10% or less of their net worth into crypto say that they’ve seen a negative impact on their personal relationships, according to the survey, which was done with 1,033 Americans and balanced by age and gender. That number rises to 73% for those who’ve invested 10%-25% of their net worth, 94% for those who’ve invested 50%-75% of net worth -- and 100% for those who’ve invested 75% or more of their net worth."

Now, I like Ben Askren as much, if not more, than the next guy, but inquiring minds want to know.

9 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Anyone who invests in cryptocurrency needs to have their head examined - it is a terrible, terrible investment.

Anyone who brokers sales of this junk is NOT to be trusted.

Just like NFT's - it's all just a valueless tech mirage with a 'promise' of value that has zero basis.

Unless we are dealing with something akin to Marx's labor theory of value, then all value is determined by what the market will bear. There are no inherently valuable/less things. If you can get someone to pay $1000 for your limited edition purple Campus 80s Towlies with the secret weed pocket, then that's their value. Any other understanding brings in an irrational moral component. 

Edited by jackwebster

15 hours ago, NJDan said:

My guess is that crypto investors are fanatics and overbearing. The problem is not crypto, but the personality types of the investors.

This doesn't explain the study because those are preexisting conditions that didn't start when they invested in crypto.

18 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

Not strictly wrestling related, but wrestling adjacent (?) given how much Ben Askren stumps for crypto on FRL.

"About 60% of crypto investors say their belief or investments in the space have had a negative impact on their personal relationships, according to a SurveyMonkey survey performed on behalf of .Tech Domains that looked at numerous issues around digital assets. What’s more, there’s a direct correlation between the percentage of someone’s net worth that’s invested in cryptocurrencies and the likelihood they say their personal relationships have been impacted negatively."

"The .Tech Domains survey results do look somewhat daunting. About 25% of those who’ve invested 10% or less of their net worth into crypto say that they’ve seen a negative impact on their personal relationships, according to the survey, which was done with 1,033 Americans and balanced by age and gender. That number rises to 73% for those who’ve invested 10%-25% of their net worth, 94% for those who’ve invested 50%-75% of net worth -- and 100% for those who’ve invested 75% or more of their net worth."

Now, I like Ben Askren as much, if not more, than the next guy, but inquiring minds want to know.

Crypto investment is showing to be largely a generational shift, and I’d bet, though have no scientific research outside my own life experience to back this up, that a large majority of investors in crypto are below the age of 45.  

I have never met a person invested in crypto who believed at the same time that the government was here to help us, the stock market was good and honest, and that government nutrition and health recommendations are fair, accurate, well, planned, well thought out, and in the best interest of constituents rather than politicians.

As with many things, it is a vote of no-confidence in an existing system, or a willingness to try something new out of complete exclusion from an existing system.

Also, lol big time at quoting a Bloomberg article and questioning relationship quality.  Virtually 100% of people employed in high finance have f***ed up relationships in their lives with their choice of job and career, you know, the overbearing nature and all.  Keep in mind the mouthpiece you take from and who their customer base and end users are  before you take a news article as fact and get ironically slander happy with it.

4 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

Crypto investment is showing to be largely a generational shift, and I’d bet, though have no scientific research outside my own life experience to back this up, that a large majority of investors in crypto are below the age of 45.  

I have never met a person invested in crypto who believed at the same time that the government was here to help us, the stock market was good and honest, and that government nutrition and health recommendations are fair, accurate, well, planned, well thought out, and in the best interest of constituents rather than politicians.

As with many things, it is a vote of no-confidence in an existing system, or a willingness to try something new out of complete exclusion from an existing system.

Also, lol big time at quoting a Bloomberg article and questioning relationship quality.  Virtually 100% of people employed in high finance have f***ed up relationships in their lives with their choice of job and career, you know, the overbearing nature and all.  Keep in mind the mouthpiece you take from and who their customer base and end users are  before you take a news article as fact and get ironically slander happy with it.

Bloomberg is only secondary. .Tech is the source. Pretty far from Wall Street. Pretty tied in with the demographic you think invests in crypto.

7 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

Anyone who invests in cryptocurrency needs to have their head examined - it is a terrible, terrible investment.

Just like NFT's - it's all just a valueless tech mirage with a 'promise' of value that has zero basis.

I think we can clearly separate crypto currencies like Bitcoin, Ether, etc. from NFT's specifically and most tokens, generally.

There is a strong case to be made for a currency outside of governmental control. The thing I have always wondered though is if in the long run it contains the seeds of its own demise. With the high degree of energy usage required to keep cryptocurrencies from being practical to hack running head long into the current push to make everything environmentally friendly, how does that get resolved?

I know a few people, people I am very close with, who invest a lot in crypto.  None of them meet the description that the supreme judgments of character some in this thread believe themselves to be.  

I haven't invested any yet but seriously considering when the tax check comes.

So, this morning the FRL guys are pushing Ben to reveal what aha moment he had in the Dell's this week. Ben is refusing to give away his coaching secrets, but when backed into a corner he goes after Ollie Astone over his Dogecoin investment, making it personal.

But, I am sure there is nothing to that Bloomberg article about a .Tech survey, @Drew87

10 hours ago, GreatWhiteNorth said:

I know people that have made quite a bit of money from crypto, so the examination result would be 'healthy'. Still, they are buying numbers.

7 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

So, this morning the FRL guys are pushing Ben to reveal what aha moment he had in the Dell's this week. Ben is refusing to give away his coaching secrets, but when backed into a corner he goes after Ollie Astone over his Dogecoin investment, making it personal.

But, I am sure there is nothing to that Bloomberg article about a .Tech survey, @Drew87

I did not specify my previous statement clearly enough, I have zero objection to pointing at Ben Askren as an absolute clown, and being potentially very guilty of everything mentioned in that bloomberg article.  I miss Bader as the FRL host everyday I hear CP and Ben talking elementary school snarky nonsense.  

I just think it’s a tad aggressive to say anyone who buys crypto is Ben Askren levels of clown-obnoxious.  There are definitely folks who have a problem, but they have the same problem whether it’s crypto, stocks, derivatives, commodities, or straight up roulette.

The real question I should have asked is how exactly did they get that sample of respondents for that survey? Maybe it was people with a minimum $10K invested in crypto? I know and have known a bunch if dudes who have crypto, and they and their lives haven't changed a bit since their “investment”, which admittedly is throwing whatever represents pocket change for them into some stuff to see if anything sticks.

Edited by Drew87

On 4/26/2021 at 11:45 AM, Wrestleknownothing said:

Shocker that whackos have difficulty maintaining personal relationships. It's not crypto turning them into fruitcakes, but that only fruitcakes are interested in investing in "crypto" currency in the first place. 

Edited by TobusRex

Have a feeling that a similar conclusion can be drawn up to people who are heavily into day trading. Perhaps it's just the volatile nature of that financial venture. 

1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

Shocker that whackos have difficulty maintaining personal relationships. It's not crypto turning them into fruitcakes, but that only fruitcakes are interested in investing in "crypto" currency in the first place. 

I am awfully tempted to venture that anyone who still refers to people as both a whacko and a ‘fruitcake’ in the same sentence might be toeing a line or two and getting a sideways glance themselves, though I’m sure I’d get a good hollering at right after they turn off their frank sinatra vhs and remind me that they shook vince lombardi’s cousin’s hand one time while on a company vacation they got after driving a teamster truck for 25 years.

8 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

I know people that have made quite a bit of money from crypto, so the examination result would be 'healthy'. Still, they are buying numbers.

Some people make quite a bit of money gambling, too. Yet - it is still a terrible way to invest (although, some people do find it entertaining. Similar type folks I would think.)