Sign in to follow this  
klehner

Younger brother doing better than older brother?

To add an international flavor, some Russian with multiple world golds outshone by their brothers:

The younger Makharbek Khadartsev (2x Oly Gold, 1x Oly Sivler, 5x World champ) > Aslan Khadartsev(3X World champ)

Twins, Sergei Beloglazov (2x Oly Gold, 6X World champ) > Anatoly Beloglazov (1x Oly Gold, 3x World Champ)

The elder Buvaisar Satiev (3x Oly Gold, 6x World Champ) > Adam Satiev (1xOly Gold, 3x World Champ)

9 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Buvaisar Saitiev was older and more accomplished than Adam. 

There is an interesting story to this, and it revolves around both custom and economic/political realities in Chechnya.  Basically, Adam and Buvaisar were the same size, but out if respect for his elder(his brother), adam wouldn’t challenge his brothers spot, he just took the next weight up, which was ~185-190lbs. So he won a number of medals, including pinning yoel romero in the olympic finals, while giving up a ton of weight. 

The next chapter that comes in was the Chechen/Dagestani resistance against Russia.  If i recall, after 2000, Adam stayed home and was a role model/coach for kids basically.  There is an article about it, which is probably the best piece about wrestling I’ve ever read. Here is the link:

https://olympics.time.com/2012/07/19/olympic-russian-wrestling/

18 hours ago, Rocep said:

Cael did better than his older two, but youngest did the worst. Stephen Abas far out did older Gerry. If Tommy came out after Terry, then there is another one.

Tom was born first (5 minutes before Terry).  Their mother Bonnie Brands once said "It's long been debated whether Terry pushed him out in a wrestling match or whether Tom won and came out first."

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/columnists/chad-leistikow/2017/06/02/complex-world-tom-brands-iowa-wrestling-coach/362703001/

Logan > Hunter Stieber

Bo > Micah Jordan

Lance > Collin Palmer. Everyone expected Collin to outshine Lance. Had a fantastic high school career, but I believe he had an unfortunate back injury his senior year that ended up derailing his college career. 

Another Lehigh wrestler from my day both supports and refutes the proposition that younger brothers will do better than older brothers.   Mike Brown was a 4X EIWA Champion and 4X AA (5,3,2,7) for Lehigh - He was better than his older brother Charlie and also better than his younger brother Bernie who also both wrestled at Lehigh. 

1 hour ago, lu1979 said:

Another Lehigh wrestler from my day both supports and refutes the proposition that younger brothers will do better than older brothers.   Mike Brown was a 4X EIWA Champion and 4X AA (5,3,2,7) for Lehigh - He was better than his older brother Charlie and also better than his younger brother Bernie who also both wrestled at Lehigh. 

You forgot Pat Brown.

Mike younger than and better than Charlie. Bernie younger than and better than Pat. So supposition holds!?