Jump to content
RED

Max Dean to Penn State?

Recommended Posts

44 minutes ago, klehner said:

So, yeah, it matters.

Don't want to get vaccinated (avoiding the obvious issue of "why the f*** not?")?  Fine.  Don't take public transportation, don't go to restaurants, don't go to wrestling tournaments, don't go to school.

Oh this oughtta be good 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For what it's worth, the National Bureau of Economic Research released a white paper that found that school reopenings in Texas - given everything about the Texas context (full reopening, limited ability to distance, vaccination rates) - had a substantial effect on increasing community spread. It's the sort of thing that usually gets overlooked or ignored in free choice discussions. Also suggests that motivated reasoning informs a lot of belief in how close to herd immunity we are. https://www.nber.org/papers/w28753#fromrss

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ugarte said:

i'm with you that when the tone is less adversarial the conversation has improved. i'm trying to be better!

And if I’m not mistaken I’ve seen a couple instances of someone looking at something a little differently than they were before. Myself included. 
Pretty cool how that works, eh??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lurker said:

And if I’m not mistaken I’ve seen a couple instances of someone looking at something a little differently than they were before. Myself included. 
Pretty cool how that works, eh??

scorpion/frog. i'm still going to crack sometimes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Lurker said:

And if I’m not mistaken I’ve seen a couple instances of someone looking at something a little differently than they were before. Myself included. 
Pretty cool how that works, eh??

1000%  In your honor I am trying really hard to change my tune so to speak.  It is so much more rewarding having a good healthy debate without name calling and personal attacks, not to mention how much more one learns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back to the topic at hand...I understand the concept of heard immunity, I'm trying really hard to tie all the logical pieces together in my head though...probably a situation when to much logic isn't a good thing.  Anyway, where I struggle is in the simple concept if someone is vaccinated and "immune" should they really worry about the one person who isn't and is taking the risk of getting the virus...to me that is all on them and has zero effect on me or my life.  And since people have brought up the immune compromised individuals who may not be able to get the vaccine, well, I think they have a heck of a lot of other things to worry about along with Covid.  I don't say that to be insensitive, but rather they probably have to take precautions in their life that the majority of us "normal" people don't anyway.  Really stinks for them, but do we make everyone else have to take precautions for the very small few that would have to take precautions anyway regardless of Covid?

As for the mutation stance...again, probably not being as open minded as I should and sticking to my small brained logic...a couple things pop into my head...first, from the things I have learned on here and other research articles I have read the new mRNA vaccines have accounted for this and may be very effective against any mutations (I understand that this hasn't been "proven" yet).  Second thing is I personally don't think it will matter in the sense, we aren't going to be able to stop this thing like Polio, or Ebola.  It truly appears this spreads faster and easier than the flu (based on the fact that we still have a Covid pandemic but the flu has essentially gone away, in the mass infection sense it has gone away anyway); thus, I think we will always be dealing with this.  And I don't think we need to be shutting the whole country down every time it rears it's ugly head.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, ugarte said:

For what it's worth, the National Bureau of Economic Research released a white paper that found that school reopenings in Texas - given everything about the Texas context (full reopening, limited ability to distance, vaccination rates) - had a substantial effect on increasing community spread. It's the sort of thing that usually gets overlooked or ignored in free choice discussions. Also suggests that motivated reasoning informs a lot of belief in how close to herd immunity we are. https://www.nber.org/papers/w28753#fromrss

Interesting read.  What about all the other examples of schools fully opening (some from the very beginning of this thing) and there was no significant change in community spread? 

In addition, it kind of can go along with the heard immunity discussion...as in theory, if more people are exposed to the virus sooner, wouldn't we reach heard immunity sooner?  How do we know if all the people who are out there that chose to not get vaccinated, that they don't already have immunity from being infected and they just didn't know it?  Point being we could in theory be closer to heard immunity than we think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dman115 said:

Back to the topic at hand...I understand the concept of heard immunity, I'm trying really hard to tie all the logical pieces together in my head though...probably a situation when to much logic isn't a good thing.  Anyway, where I struggle is in the simple concept if someone is vaccinated and "immune" should they really worry about the one person who isn't and is taking the risk of getting the virus...to me that is all on them and has zero effect on me or my life.  And since people have brought up the immune compromised individuals who may not be able to get the vaccine, well, I think they have a heck of a lot of other things to worry about along with Covid.  I don't say that to be insensitive, but rather they probably have to take precautions in their life that the majority of us "normal" people don't anyway.  Really stinks for them, but do we make everyone else have to take precautions for the very small few that would have to take precautions anyway regardless of Covid?

I think that's true but it's also true that the vaccine-reluctant/skeptical/anti- are also going around unvaccinated and call me a softie but I still don't want them to get sick or die or act as disease vectors. The immune-compromised are the most sympathetic case. The people accusing the vaccinated of "shedding" the virus to them are the least sympathetic case - and yet you want to have a public program of vaccination and congregation rules that "encourage" vaccination for them even if they don't want it. A rule that sets rules for going to a bowling alley is better than letting bowling alleys become transmission sites just because some bowlers think masks are for wimps and commies.

In addition, it kind of can go along with the heard immunity discussion...as in theory, if more people are exposed to the virus sooner, wouldn't we reach heard immunity sooner?  How do we know if all the people who are out there that chose to not get vaccinated, that they don't already have immunity from being infected and they just didn't know it?  Point being we could in theory be closer to heard immunity than we think.

the problem with this  is that you have no idea and are floating it because it fits your preference of doing less. i know it sounds accusatory but that's pretty much what it is. in the face of a study saying that close examination of school reopenings have shown that it spreads the virus you point to other, less granular, discussions that found that reopening might not have and then speculate about how herd immunity is maybe increasing because so many people are getting sick in the shadows. it's not a real question. it's a statement masquerading as a question. dammit dman, stop making me do this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, ugarte said:

I think that's true but it's also true that the vaccine-reluctant/skeptical/anti- are also going around unvaccinated and call me a softie but I still don't want them to get sick or die or act as disease vectors. The immune-compromised are the most sympathetic case. The people accusing the vaccinated of "shedding" the virus to them are the least sympathetic case - and yet you want to have a public program of vaccination and congregation rules that "encourage" vaccination for them even if they don't want it. A rule that sets rules for going to a bowling alley is better than letting bowling alleys become transmission sites just because some bowlers think masks are for wimps and commies.

 

the problem with this  is that you have no idea and are floating it because it fits your preference of doing less. i know it sounds accusatory but that's pretty much what it is. in the face of a study saying that close examination of school reopenings have shown that it spreads the virus you point to other, less granular, discussions that found that reopening might not have and then speculate about how herd immunity is maybe increasing because so many people are getting sick in the shadows. it's not a real question. it's a statement masquerading as a question. dammit dman, stop making me do this!

First off, wasn't trying to get you all riled up and I am refusing to let you get me all hot under the collar by accusing me of doing anything than truly expressing my opinion on the subject and asking honest questions...even if you don't like them.  :)

Well I sure ain't going to call anyone a softy for wanting to wear a mask...my mom told me she was going to even if the mandates went away...it is her right to wear one and I respect it.  I get wanting to encourage people to get vaccinated that makes sense.  But just as you don't want to be rediculed for wearing a mask, should people that hold different believes than you and chose not to get vaccinated shouldn't get rediculed.  Maybe they have personal or religious believes against it...point being is who get's to choose what is okay to bash and what isn't?  Again, if you are vaccinated why would it bother you so bad, if someone else doesn't?  Because people that don't would create super transmission sites??  You do realize that there have been MANY MANY indoor events held where people didn't wear masks and there wasn't some big massive spread from it?  And before you say it...you can't use the "you have no idea and are saying that because it fits your preference".   Just as you can say I have no idea...I can say neither do you.  You using one "study" that tried to correlate school openings to massive community spread is as far reaching to meet your preference as are the countless first hand examples of where schools have been open with minimal restrictions and there wasn't any uptick in community spread...or does those not count because there wasn't a white paper written about it and put in the New York Times??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Thanks for posting.  I wonder what Cael does with Beard now that they have Max?  

Mineo is tweeting that Beard may need surgery that would put him out all season

Edited by flyingcement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Mineo is tweeting that Beard may need surgery that would put him out all season

Thanks.  Impressive that Cael was able to replace an injured Beard with Max Dean.  I bet he lands Evan Wick too lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Mineo is tweeting that Beard may need surgery that would put him out all season

Maybe Beard was rolling the whole season with a chewed up joint.  That’s certainly something a lot of Penn state guys seem to do.  Wrestling with a bad knee is all the rage these days.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

Maybe Beard was rolling the whole season with a chewed up joint.  That’s certainly something a lot of Penn state guys seem to do.  Wrestling with a bad knee is all the rage these days.

Wasn’t the guy yelling at Brands for wrestling Lee a PSU fan?

Also, I wonder if Beard can get a medical redshirt next year.  Then he could be in the room for 8 years before exhausting his eligibility, maybe 9 if he goes for the 2024 Olympic redshirt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...