RED

Max Dean to Penn State?

59 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

I think I know the answer to this, but what happens if/when PSU makes the Covid vaccine mandatory?

In his defense, it seemed to be about more than the vaccine.  But as FRL said, the B10 had probably the most strict covid policies in D1 wrestling, not to mention that they would have canceled football if the other conferences didn’t peer pressure them into coming back.   Nonetheless, if PSU does require it and he doesn’t want it, I imagine he’ll just get a “religious exemption.”

Is Gabe going too? As a coach? I haven't seen that announced, just Max. Because if he's not going, his biggest gripe was allegedly that he had to play hall monitor on campus. If Gabe was leaving, Max was leaving apparently, but it only becomes an issue again if Gabe is coming and going into some role with the team.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

Is Gabe going too? As a coach? I haven't seen that announced, just Max. Because if he's not going, his biggest gripe was allegedly that he had to play hall monitor on campus. If Gabe was leaving, Max was leaving apparently, but it only becomes an issue again if Gabe is coming and going into some role with the team.

Apparently Gabe just took a coaching position at their old high school in Michigan. So, it would appear he will not be involved with PSU/NLWC.

17 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I don’t think Max left because Gabe did.  Gabe seems to be implying they have similar feelings.  But who knows, Max hasn’t actually said anything that I’ve seen.

5 hours ago, Drew87 said:

Can attest and confirm due to recent work settings, the climate at US educational institutions is headed in a bad way from the standpoint of intellectual intolerance.  

Freedom of thought and exchange of ideas is frowned upon, diversity of opinion is almost entirely disallowed and cause for firing, ostracizing and termination.  More broadly, institutional stances are hard line and increasingly extreme.  The approach is very much toe the line or you are done.  This is across the board in much of education, especially so-called “higher education,” which is a powerful, influential and insular industry.

Case in point: Cornell Faculty Set to Vote on ‘Anti-Racism’ Training Mandate for Students, Faculty (msn.com)

21 minutes ago, red blades said:

So, what is the problem with that?

Should civil engineering students not learn about how very pointed neglect of public infrastructure resulted in the Flint, MI water crisis? 

Should public health students not learn how federal, state and local policies have resulted in drastically different health outcomes for different groups of people?

Edited by Le duke

8 minutes ago, Le duke said:

So, what is the problem with that?

Should civil engineering students not learn about how very pointed neglect of public infrastructure resulted in the Flint, MI water crisis? 

Should public health students not learn how federal, state and local policies have resulted in drastically different health outcomes for different groups of people?

I didn't say I did have a problem with that - but more to the point of this thread, there may be something in the political climate at Cornell that some people involved do take issue with.

1 hour ago, Le duke said:

Apparently Gabe just took a coaching position at their old high school in Michigan. So, it would appear he will not be involved with PSU/NLWC.

Wow, if he’s still staying involved in wrestling it sounds like they were really motivated to get out.

9 hours ago, Drew87 said:

Can attest and confirm due to recent work settings, the climate at US educational institutions is headed in a bad way from the standpoint of intellectual intolerance.  

Freedom of thought and exchange of ideas is frowned upon, diversity of opinion is almost entirely disallowed and cause for firing, ostracizing and termination.  More broadly, institutional stances are hard line and increasingly extreme.  The approach is very much toe the line or you are done.  This is across the board in much of education, especially so-called “higher education,” which is a powerful, influential and insular industry.

The real threat to free speech on campus isn't wokeness; it's conservative donors and politicians threatening to defund schools and programs and demanding firings for leftist opinions, particularly on issues relating to race and the Israel/Palestine dispute. There are so many complaints about the stifling atmosphere but the easiest road to a best-selling book is to write about how you are silenced. The loudest people in the world are the silenced professors. Meanwhile, states are passing anti-BDS laws that literally require you to say that you won't participate in activism. Northwestern Law School revoked a position from a well-known international law scholar because a pro-Israel donor objected to her writings on Palestinian human rights. That's the real threat. 

4 hours ago, VakAttack said:

I heard that he was going to work for his father's company, which I think does combat sports training and events.

Edited by ugarte

4 hours ago, ugarte said:

I heard that he was going to work for his father's company, which I think does combat sports training and events.

In the Sonnen interview, he said he started a “mobile storage unit” business, and also has some investment properties.

19 hours ago, VakAttack said:

Sorry to take this thread off topic, but the FRL guys were saying that the Cornell wrestlers were not exactly cheerfully waving and telling Max (and Gabe) bon voyage over him leaving to go to Penn State.  Any word on the specifics of that?  They said it was on Twitter, and a quick perusal (while at work, so I'm limited, and can't listen to the rest of the pod right now since I'm in a Zoom conference) of what they're talking about?

No clue if this was a reference to Dean?  Kids these days and their memes.

5 hours ago, ugarte said:

Northwestern Law School revoked a position from a well-known international law scholar because a pro-Israel donor objected to her writings on Palestinian human rights. That's the real threat.

Yale, Dr. Bandy Lee. 

Edited by wrestlingnerd

9 hours ago, ugarte said:

demanding firings for leftist opinions, particularly on issues relating to race and the Israel/Palestine dispute.

I know this was a thing when I was going through College 10-15 years ago, but nowadays, at every college campus I’ve been on, the Israel side of the conversation carries close to zero currency.  I can’t attest for all parts of the country, but the impression I have from personal experience on the east coast at least is that Israel lost that PR battle on college campuses very badly.

11 hours ago, Drew87 said:

I know this was a thing when I was going through College 10-15 years ago, but nowadays, at every college campus I’ve been on, the Israel side of the conversation carries close to zero currency.  I can’t attest for all parts of the country, but the impression I have from personal experience on the east coast at least is that Israel lost that PR battle on college campuses very badly.

I won't disagree that this is true among students or even a lot of faculty but that's not actually where the power lies. 

anyway to stay on the official topic, kind of, I'm just going to leave this here https://mobile.twitter.com/OnwardState/status/1392634445404917761 

(but a source of mine said that the administration seems unlikely to actually require it, once again proving that the faculty isn't where the power is)

28 minutes ago, ugarte said:

I won't disagree that this is true among students or even a lot of faculty but that's not actually where the power lies. 

anyway to stay on the official topic, kind of, I'm just going to leave this here https://mobile.twitter.com/OnwardState/status/1392634445404917761 

(but a source of mine said that the administration seems unlikely to actually require it, once again proving that the faculty isn't where the power is)

well said, great point, and touché

Just a little side note here.....this morning with the good ole FB memories popping up, it was one year ago today that one of my facilities was one of, if not the first, to open up in the city.  And while I certainly had protocols in place, the change in day to day operation has really not been much different (started with pretty  stringent protocols, then relaxed step by step as time went on).  Had to stop and think about that, I've been re-open for a full year now, and realize my real world perspective on the impact of this whole thing, is not really an accurate picture of what real world has been like across the country.   A reminder that someone else's experience is going to be totally different than the next.

5 hours ago, Lurker said:

Just a little side note here.....this morning with the good ole FB memories popping up, it was one year ago today that one of my facilities was one of, if not the first, to open up in the city.  And while I certainly had protocols in place, the change in day to day operation has really not been much different (started with pretty  stringent protocols, then relaxed step by step as time went on).  Had to stop and think about that, I've been re-open for a full year now, and realize my real world perspective on the impact of this whole thing, is not really an accurate picture of what real world has been like across the country.   A reminder that someone else's experience is going to be totally different than the next.

The most surprising thing about this year to me was the realization that, in many ways we are in a seemingly loosely held together union of fiefdoms.  I previously had very little respect for or awareness of this reality.

The notion that each state got to choose it’s own path to crafting, handling and enforcing restrictions was eye-opening, somewhat surprising, a tad worrying, but also very cool all at the same time.

1 hour ago, Drew87 said:

The most surprising thing about this year to me was the realization that, in many ways we are in a seemingly loosely held together union of fiefdoms.  I previously had very little respect for or awareness of this reality.

The notion that each state got to choose it’s own path to crafting, handling and enforcing restrictions was eye-opening, somewhat surprising, a tad worrying, but also very cool all at the same time.

I think it has to be done that way.  First, because that's what the country is supposed to be about.  But more importantly as it relates to this, different states have been in different positions at different times.  That's where I really had to think about and realize the different experiences, therefore the different perspectives.  Here in south Florida......its not a problem to have outside dinner seating in the middle of January.  In Chicago....not so much.  My work for another example, which revolves mostly around the execution of outdoor activities, and when I am working indoors, I don't need people around me.  Really my indoors work can be done from my couch.  

Just goes to show everyone has a different situation/experience/perspective.  And as such, there are no one size fits all answers.  I've had my challenges with this thing in terms of the health of some friends and family, but as far as day to day life goes I've been very fortunate.  Others very much not so much.  

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I think it has to be done that way.  First, because that's what the country is supposed to be about.  But more importantly as it relates to this, different states have been in different positions at different times.  That's where I really had to think about and realize the different experiences, therefore the different perspectives.  Here in south Florida......its not a problem to have outside dinner seating in the middle of January.  In Chicago....not so much.  My work for another example, which revolves mostly around the execution of outdoor activities, and when I am working indoors, I don't need people around me.  Really my indoors work can be done from my couch.  

Just goes to show everyone has a different situation/experience/perspective.  And as such, there are no one size fits all answers.  I've had my challenges with this thing in terms of the health of some friends and family, but as far as day to day life goes I've been very fortunate.  Others very much not so much.  

Agreed and very interesting & valid points, I only mention it because I know I was immensely ignorant of the stratification and decentralization in authority across the country, which I agree is good, and certainly where I’ve spent the past year and change, people DEFINITELY fail to understand the relevance and nuance of what you are talking about.

Great points good sir.

12 hours ago, Drew87 said:

Agreed and very interesting & valid points, I only mention it because I know I was immensely ignorant of the stratification and decentralization in authority across the country, which I agree is good, and certainly where I’ve spent the past year and change, people DEFINITELY fail to understand the relevance and nuance of what you are talking about.

Great points good sir.

Thank you sir, cheers....