RED

Max Dean to Penn State?

3 hours ago, BAC said:

I am not aware of any facts to suggest that PSU greyshirts a “significant portion of their lineup,” or is so dissatisfied with the AA finish of a freshman with 4 years remaining that they are going to hunt for a replacement. If you know of any I would be curious to hear.

Depends how you define "significant portion" I guess, as 20% of last year's postseason lineup had previously grayshirted.   Would have been 30% if Kerk didn't transfer in putting Nevills on the bench.

Yeah I think what no one really knows is how much effort Cael put into getting guys like Dean (if it becomes official), Kerk or Conel to come, so no one (on this board at least) can really answer your second question.   Obviously plenty of teams have gotten high-level transfers, but PSU seems to be the main one that is getting transfers that are bumping other solid guys out of the lineup rather than filling a hole (of course part of the reason for that is that PSU usually has the least holes to begin with).

Seems to me that top programs in our sport at all levels - youth, high school, college and RTC - are magnet programs.  They "recruit" primarily by the simple fact that they excel at what they do - good coaching, workout partners, culture, facilities, other resources (like academics and interesting campus or community).  This kind of competition among programs is good for the sport!  Keeps everyone on their toes.  Max Dean should go where he wants to among programs that would have him.  Its a recipe for disaster for wrestlers to be stuck where they are not happy.  This is no knock on Cornell wrestling (which is obviously excellent and killing it) or on Cornell as a school (which has every reason to make public health policies as they see fit and not based on the belief of an athlete however accomplished he or she may be).

If the Ivies don’t do a policy change... which is highly unlikely... School’s will be benefiting from wrestlers that drained their Ivy eligibility but still have NCAA years. A guy like Brucki is damn near Nostradamus status on the move he made when he made it...if he didn’t his senior year would of been flushed! 

53 minutes ago, 9insoft said:

If the Ivies don’t do a policy change... which is highly unlikely... School’s will be benefiting from wrestlers that drained their Ivy eligibility but still have NCAA years. A guy like Brucki is damn near Nostradamus status on the move he made when he made it...if he didn’t his senior year would of been flushed! 

Except for that "Ivy seniors can wrestle next year as grad students" thing.

I am not aware of any facts to suggest that PSU greyshirts a “significant portion of their lineup,” or is so dissatisfied with the AA finish of a freshman with 4 years remaining that they are going to hunt for a replacement. If you know of any I would be curious to hear.
I do agree it is great that Cael is willing to bring in top guys to push his starters, and is not going to say “no” to a top transfer who wants to come. But I don’t think he is unique or even unusual in that regard, or is any more willing than other schools to allow incoming recruits and transfers displace the existing starter. That strikes me as pretty much the same across the board in D1 wrestling. PSU just attracts a higher caliber of recruits and transfers than most schools.
Carl has low standards for transfers.

Especially, the Andrew Long fiasco. In hindsight, it was a terrible move.

But, yeah all the other Big Tens teams were hot on Andrew Long's transfer.

Except they weren't going to let a suspended alcoholic become immediately eligible like St Carl's great judgement.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, klehner said:

Except for that "Ivy seniors can wrestle next year as grad students" thing.

Well obviously it’s easy to figure out I’m  Darmy’s dad.... he stayed in school and threw away his “junior” year wrestling in the Ivies .... and if Ivy cancels again this year, he’ll stay in school and graduate.... he may never wrestle for Cornell again.... maybe he’ll go and challenge for that starting 97 spot at PSU with Dean and Beard....at this point the senior grad school thing does nothing for a junior.

Edited by 9insoft
Idk

4 hours ago, cjc007 said:

Carl has low standards for transfers.

Especially, the Andrew Long fiasco. In hindsight, it was a terrible move.

But, yeah all the other Big Tens teams were hot on Andrew Long's transfer.

Except they weren't going to let a suspended alcoholic become immediately eligible like St Carl's great judgement.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Maybe you should check yourself out first.  Lot of work to be done.

10 hours ago, 9insoft said:

Well obviously it’s easy to figure out I’m  Darmy’s dad.... he stayed in school and threw away his “junior” year wrestling in the Ivies .... and if Ivy cancels again this year, he’ll stay in school and graduate.... he may never wrestle for Cornell again.... maybe he’ll go and challenge for that starting 97 spot at PSU with Dean and Beard....at this point the senior grad school thing does nothing for a junior.

So you're part of the maple sugar magnate.

10 hours ago, 9insoft said:

As a former athlete I get Cornell Athletics notices and they are working under the assumption that they (athletics broadly) will be competing next year and will even be trying to work in extra fall practice time to allow teams that have now lost a season or two kind of get back into gear. 

On 5/1/2021 at 3:02 PM, 9insoft said:

You’re that guy...

Nah man, sorry, YOU are “that” guy...

Agenda driven elitists?

Bro, dost thou even fear monger...or understand the long term manifestations of rabid self-interest?

On 4/30/2021 at 2:50 PM, 9insoft said:

I don't see why the ivies would change their policy.  I don't think they want four consecutive years of athletes staying for a fifth year just to compete in athletics-it's antithetical to the point of the Ivy league.  A one year waiver is perfectly reasonable though given the circumstances. That's no loss to Cornell or any other Ivies, since these students will have graduated even if they have only competed three years.  They are actually benefiting the students with this policy, since it empowers them to seek an athletic scholarship elsewhere that will fund a graduate degree. 

Billyhoyle that’s the plan, health be willing....Drew just a simple man frustrated by the Ivy quick trigger finger. It’s what happens when you let the peasants in the Ivory tower because they can cobble a better shoe....

37 minutes ago, 9insoft said:

Billyhoyle that’s the plan, health be willing....Drew just a simple man frustrated by the Ivy quick trigger finger. It’s what happens when you let the peasants in the Ivory tower because they can cobble a better shoe....

The ivies did the right thing by canceling the season as painful as that was-they put the health of their athletes (and staff/faculty) first. Athletics should always come second-it's the entire point of Ivy League athletics. Given the vaccine situation, I have zero doubt that there will be a season this year though. I think to some it appears as if they have been overly harsh in canceling the season and will continue to be this way-but in reality the difference between a virus with zero population immunity and one with an available vaccine is immense.  I have been a huge proponent of playing it safe when it comes to Covid (over the past 12 months), but now that the vaccine is widely available, I am sure things will return back to complete normalcy in the near future.  

Edited by Billyhoyle

49 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

I have been a huge proponent of playing it safe when it comes to Covid (over the past 12 months), but now that the vaccine is widely available, I am sure things will return back to complete normalcy in the near future.  

Normalcy?

Would this include AHamilton being able to go for a run outdoors or me being able to climb a mountain without a mask then posting such and not having a whole bunch of people completely devoid of any common sense whatsoever telling them that even though being outside alone they need to mask up.

Covid mask theatre needs to put to rest.

Edited by TBar1977

Not upset about last season...if this season doesn’t happen...yes. I get it about the Ivies...but one has to wonder, what one would be thinking, after seeing the financial loss Ivy sports did NOT put on its universities last year.

Covid is dangerous it can steal your life, career, liberties, and dreams!

1 hour ago, Billyhoyle said:

The ivies did the right thing by canceling the season as painful as that was-they put the health of their athletes (and staff/faculty) first. Athletics should always come second-it's the entire point of Ivy League athletics. Given the vaccine situation, I have zero doubt that there will be a season this year though. I think to some it appears as if they have been overly harsh in canceling the season and will continue to be this way-but in reality the difference between a virus with zero population immunity and one with an available vaccine is immense.  I have been a huge proponent of playing it safe when it comes to Covid (over the past 12 months), but now that the vaccine is widely available, I am sure things will return back to complete normalcy in the near future.  

Really??  So they should cancel the season anytime someone gets sick???  SMH  Billy you seem pretty smart, but seriously do you not look at the data for this thing?  Please show any data that canceling the season for the ivies was any different than those colleges that didn't take opportunities away from the athletes.  Than show me the data that demonstrates how dangerous this virus is to college age athletes.

Is it not common sense to give people the choice as to what risks they take and which risks they don't?  You are talking about young ATHLETES in which this bug really is no different to them than the common flu.  And those that it is a high risk to, STAY HOME!!  And speaking of the vaccine...please explain to me why a person should still have to wear a mask if they are fully vaccinated, or has had the virus??  Show me how staying 6 feet away....errr...is it 3 feet now...anyway...that that is "stopping the spread"?  Show me the "science" on those...and the opinion of some talking political head "scientist/expert" that is based on no scientific facts or data is NOT science.  Otherwise, just come out and say it that no matter what the data says, or "science", you personally want to play it uber conservative in regards to the virus...which is your right and I respect it...but don't push you thoughts and feeling onto others. 

I feel so bad for all the kids and young men and women (and businesses) that have lost out on so much over this political driven fear mongering hysteria because a bunch of people hated the previous president because he said mean things.  And what is even more sad is the poor souls that can't see that that has happened.  Personally this hysteria was built up due to the past president, and then it just snow balled and got completely out of hand after that, and all common sense was thrown out the window.  Again, how is it that some clearly smart people can't see that that has happened.  SMH

And for the record...I do not think this virus is a hoax...I do believe it is a really bad virus FOR A CERTAIN DEMOGRAPHIC.  Why do I feel that way...because I do look at the data and the data CLEARLY indicates those things.  

**** Covid is Real. Take it from someone who used to joke that he was too ornery to get it.  I got it in early February and it kicked my butt for 2 1/2 weeks (103-04 fever, extreme headaches, nausea, extreme weakness and body aches.  My Dr. authorized a monoclonal infusion to hopefully keep me out of the hospital, since he was very concerned if my fever were to go any higher.  I had to sign a waiver to get the infusion.  It was similar to what President Trump was given (Regeneron).  Thankfully it worked and my fever did not go any higher and I recovered over the next 1 1/2 weeks.  Since then I have had both doses of the vaccine.  I experienced some reactions to both, especially the 2nd (weakness, headache and boils on my arms), but definitely less than getting Covid.

1 minute ago, Mulletman21 said:

**** Covid is Real. Take it from someone who used to joke that he was too ornery to get it.  I got it in early February and it kicked my butt for 2 1/2 weeks (103-04 fever, extreme headaches, nausea, extreme weakness and body aches.  My Dr. authorized a monoclonal infusion to hopefully keep me out of the hospital, since he was very concerned if my fever were to go any higher.  I had to sign a waiver to get the infusion.  It was similar to what President Trump was given (Regeneron).  Thankfully it worked and my fever did not go any higher and I recovered over the next 1 1/2 weeks.  Since then I have had both doses of the vaccine.  I experienced some reactions to both, especially the 2nd (weakness, headache and boils on my arms), but definitely less than getting Covid.

So sorry you got really sick from the virus.  Honestly feel bad for you...my 68 year old dad got it really bad too.  But on the flip side should I share my Covid story in which I really wasn't sure I had it other than the lost of taste and smell?  Or the 50 other people I know who got it and had very minor symptoms for a day or 2?  How about all those people I know who had ZERO symptoms? 

Point is, it is easy to use one off, worst case scenarios to paint anything as being 10 times worse than it is.  But if you look at it holistically, you may get a different view (I understand that that can be hard to do based on your own personally experience).  And before anyone says it...yes there is no worse scenario than death...always sad and tragic...but again if you looked at the whole picture, more times than not, there was much more to that story.

Anyway, glad you recovered and wish you good health in the future.

36 minutes ago, dman115 said:

And for the record...I do not think this virus is a hoax...I do believe it is a really bad virus FOR A CERTAIN DEMOGRAPHIC.  Why do I feel that way...because I do look at the data and the data CLEARLY indicates those things.  

Great.  Let's isolate those OTHER DEMOGRAPHICS completely from that CERTAIN DEMOGRAPHIC, so that there is no possibility of spread.  How's that gonna work?

Then take this s*** to some other non-wrestling forum, and use ALL CAPS to your heart's content.

27 minutes ago, dman115 said:

So sorry you got really sick from the virus.  Honestly feel bad for you...my 68 year old dad got it really bad too.  But on the flip side should I share my Covid story in which I really wasn't sure I had it other than the lost of taste and smell?  Or the 50 other people I know who got it and had very minor symptoms for a day or 2?  How about all those people I know who had ZERO symptoms? 

Point is, it is easy to use one off, worst case scenarios to paint anything as being 10 times worse than it is.  But if you look at it holistically, you may get a different view (I understand that that can be hard to do based on your own personally experience).  And before anyone says it...yes there is no worse scenario than death...always sad and tragic...but again if you looked at the whole picture, more times than not, there was much more to that story.

Anyway, glad you recovered and wish you good health in the future.

There are 578,000 one-off, worst case scenarios in this country who would argue with you...if they weren't dead.

17 minutes ago, klehner said:

There are 578,000 one-off, worst case scenarios in this country who would argue with you...if they weren't dead.

Deaths counted like no other causes of death are counted....not for other virus', ailments, accidents...well, quite frankly like nothing else.  Are flu deaths counted that way...let's see...NOPE.  Are ebola deaths counted like Covid deaths...let's see...NOPE!   Heck you, nor any "expert" can tell us how many of those deaths were solely just because of the virus. 

If I have stage 4 cancer and am in hospice and I get sick (could be from a virus or bacteria) and die, my death gets recorded as I died from cancer...as it should.  But if I test positive for Covid in that scenario...I died of Covid.  Point being, the "experts" can count Covid deaths however they want, but unless they use some consistency in how they count other deaths you can do zero comparisons nor deduce how much more serious something is versus another.

Anyway, good talk...enjoyed you using rational thought and not just a purely emotion response for shock value while not taking into account ALL the OTHER data and FACTS out THERE...oh wait....