Swayz

Ben Provisor 2x Olympian signs!

May have missed this on the board (doubt it though since it isn't DI),  but Ben Provisor just signed with freaking Grand View.    Someone on Facebook joked that is probably the reason 2x NAIA champ is transferring out of Graceland and heading to Iowa. 

Yes, he has signed to wrestle. He was a really good folkstyle wrestler during high school in Wisconsin and has had some very good freestyle results in the past.

If he makes it through the whole year, I would expect he wins or places highly depending on the weight.

3 hours ago, Relentless125 said:

Yes, he has signed to wrestle. He was a really good folkstyle wrestler during high school in Wisconsin and has had some very good freestyle results in the past.

If he makes it through the whole year, I would expect he wins or places highly depending on the weight.

Sorry, but he was a once time placer (fifth) in a three class system (Class A) while in high school. While great at greco, he was not a terror as a high school folkstyle wresler. 

6 hours ago, npope said:

Sorry, but he was a once time placer (fifth) in a three class system (Class A) while in high school. While great at greco, he was not a terror as a high school folkstyle wresler. 

My mistake, I think I may have mixed his high school accomplishments up with Thielke's. Looks like we both misremembered a bit though:

High School: Graduated from Stevens Point Area High School… Placed third, fifth, fifth and third in the Wisconsin state tournament… Career record of 158-14… Coached by World champion and Olympic silver medalist Dennis Hall… Also lettered in football…
USA Age group: Third in 2007 Junior Nationals… 2006 Cadet Nationals champion… Third in 2005 Cadet Nationals…

Still think he'll do well in NAIA and I'm not saying that NAIA is a cakewalk either.

1 hour ago, JBluegill133 said:

I could've sworn he was with the badgers for a short time. I must be crazy.

I thought the same. The name rang a bell (although I don't follow Greco very closely) and I did remember he was from Wisconsin. 

Edited by TobusRex

17 hours ago, Swayz said:

May have missed this on the board (doubt it though since it isn't DI),  but Ben Provisor just signed with freaking Grand View.    Someone on Facebook joked that is probably the reason 2x NAIA champ is transferring out of Graceland and heading to Iowa. 

Signed with them? As what, a coach? If he's still got eligibility it'll be fun seeing what he can do at his advanced age. 

3 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

All four years...

LOL, that's amazing. He was a good folkstyle wrestler, but not D1 level (at least straight out of HS). Wonder how he's gonna do in NAIA? I bet he kicks ass. The guy looks like a shaved gorilla! 

Wonder how that will work going from being a professional athlete down to being a college athlete. Have to think a close look at his past income will be looked at.  Although it is NAIA.  Interesting.

Edited by Lurker

I think he went to Northern Michigan, but only for one year. If that's the case, he could conceivably have 8 semesters left to get his four season in. Does the prize money he won wrestling and his time as essentially a supported "pro" wrestler not affect NAIA eligibility?

I don't expect he'll wrestle for four years in his 30s no matter how much eligibility he has, but it's a neat story. Getting off the bottom is going to be a challenge for sure. He wrestled 77kg in the trials (about 170), so we'll see if he's 174 or 184 with weigh ins every week. Grandview's guys at those weights both placed 3rd in NAIA and should both be back. Their 197 did not qualify. 

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

I think he went to Northern Michigan, but only for one year. If that's the case, he could conceivably have 8 semesters left to get his four season in. Does the prize money he won wrestling and his time as essentially a supported "pro" wrestler not affect NAIA eligibility?

Different sports right?

40 minutes ago, olddirty said:

You guys are talking like a 31 year old cant compete

More that the motivation and life priorities for a 30+ year old and two time Olympian are not going to be the same as a 18/19 year old right out of high school

I think Ben might be the strongest man-brute I’ve ever wrestled in a match. He hasn’t had a ton of injuries, but going through the grind of a college season would be freaking rough in your thirties at any level. I would want to be on some kind of pitch count for practices and weigh ins if I was him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, olddirty said:

You guys are talking like a 31 year old cant compete

Not me. Remember how Andre Metzger came out of retirement a few years ago, age 56 or so (same as I am now) and made it to the quarters or semis of the FS Senior championship? 30 is older than the college kids, but it's not OLD.