Sign in to follow this  
LongShot

Taylor's low single D

Sorry my first visit to the boards since NCAA's so if you're tired of threads about the match feel free to move on.

Did anyone find Taylor's low single defense very uncharacteristic? I think Dake was essentially hyper extending his knee there so its very possible that Taylor was in so much pain he just bailed but I was surprised how easily he got taken down without even a scramble.

I am of the camp that thinks these two are still about as evenly matched as it gets. Taylor seems to have a mental block with Dake. I find it incredible that DT blows everyone else out of the water but can't get a win against him. Testament to Dake's defense I suppose and in any all-time list I have Dake one notch better due to his head to head wins. But I gotta say Taylor is still the more impressive wrestler and has more wow factor IMO. I just can't understand how Dake beats him to be honest. Taylor majors and tf's guys that Dake has close matches with. Is Dake's mental edge that big?

I think it's more about Dake's style and defense. He's very hard to score on, doesn't get out of position, and doesn't overdo it offensively where he makes many mistakes. He's an outstanding and great wrestler, which is very OBVIOUS, but I admit, I enjoy watching Taylor much more and I would say that if he was wrestling for OK State, Iowa, Minnesota, etc. He does things so effortlessly and makes it look easier than what it really is. He gets away with things offensively that 90% of the others would not.

I just can't understand how Dake beats him to be honest.

They are not as even as Taylor fans wish to believe.

I'm only a Taylor fan in that I love watching him wrestle. No affiliation to him or PSU. I think its pretty close. If Dake shut him out 4 times that'd be one thing. It seemed to me that DT almost surprised himself with that first takedown in this last match. Not sure where he went after that? But look at Caldwell for instance. Dake beats him on an escape and rideout, Taylor beat him 10-0. Would've liked to see Dake/Yates or even Dake/Polz. Like I said, no sane individual could rank Taylor higher at this point but he just dominates everyone not named Dake or Jenkins. Pinned his way to the NCAA finals twice (?!) Dake is athletic, a grinder, and off the charts as a gamer and strategist. Taylor makes it look easy like Cael used to.

I think it's more about Dake's style and defense. He's very hard to score on, doesn't get out of position, and doesn't overdo it offensively where he makes many mistakes. He's an outstanding and great wrestler, which is very OBVIOUS, but I admit, I enjoy watching Taylor much more and I would say that if he was wrestling for OK State, Iowa, Minnesota, etc. He does things so effortlessly and makes it look easier than what it really is. He gets away with things offensively that 90% of the others would not.

Can we pin this post to the top of the board? Taylor is unquestionably more fun to watch wrestle and I think a lot of people are just having trouble separating "fun to watch" with "better".

Dake and Taylor wrestled?

Nope. They have never wrestled. Which is why we don't know who would win if they did.

You should make clever comments like this on every Dake/Taylor thread. That'll show 'em.

It was basically the biggest wrestling match maybe ever. Not everyone's on here every day.

Can we pin this post to the top of the board? Taylor is unquestionably more fun to watch wrestle and I think a lot of people are just having trouble separating "fun to watch" with "better".

Well combine "fun to watch" with "completely dominant". Any comments on Taylor's lack of defense on the low single anyone?

Think of it like Ali and Foreman.

Foreman destroyed everyone up to that point including Frazier who gave Ali fits. However, Ali beat Foreman with relative ease. Reason being that while Foreman had an offensive style that looked impressive, he wasn't as great an all around fighter as Ali. Once the offensive juggernaut (Foreman or Taylor) meet someone who is good enough to shut down their offense, they are in trouble.

Dake and Ali, despite not having a style that blows everyone out of the water, are simply better at their sport than Foreman and Taylor

Not everyone's on here every day.

Neither am I. But I am capable of reading other threads before starting another one. Especially when what I have to say is something that's been repeated over and over by lots of people in multiple threads on the first page.

Not everyone's on here every day.

Neither am I. But I am capable of reading other threads before starting another one. Especially when what I have to say is something that's been repeated over and over by lots of people in multiple threads on the first page.

You have truly mastered the art of the message board. Now work on not opening or replying to threads you aren't interested in or repeatedly discuss. Something else going on until US open? You start a meaningful thread lately that I'm unaware of? All ears.

The point of the thread was on the one takedown (and defense) specifically which I've yet to see discussed.