Jump to content
lu1979

Takahashi now in for Japan

Recommended Posts

Anyone else remember when Zadick had a shot to get into the Olympics at the last minute and every post about it was deleted as soon as it went up? Clearly the mods thought international wrestling officials paid closer attention than we think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, IronChef said:

Anyone else remember when “he who shall not be named” had a shot to get into the Olympics at the last minute and every post about it was deleted as soon as it went up? Clearly the mods thought international wrestling officials paid closer attention than we think.

image.gif.a5a0eaa24eaff06092c0c23f79ecefbd.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/1/2021 at 3:20 AM, IronChef said:

Anyone else remember when Zadick had a shot to get into the Olympics at the last minute and every post about it was deleted as soon as it went up? Clearly the mods thought international wrestling officials paid closer attention than we think.

Or when they deleted the video of Simmons catching Velikov in a spladle because they didn't want the Europeans to see it prior to world's that year?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2021 at 3:29 PM, lu1979 said:

The UWW site is now showing Yuki Takahashi as their entry at 57 kg.  The leaders of the Japanese wrestling federation must have been reading this forum and caught their mistake.  The Georgia entry at 65 kg is TBD.

Good choice by Japan.  I think Takahashi gets the weight qualified.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2021 at 12:07 AM, ShakaAloha said:

Good choice by Japan.  I think Takahashi gets the weight qualified.

Well, he did it.

 

Now he's going to have another playoff match with Rei Higuchi because of this whole situation of Higuchi missing weight and having to go qualify the weight.  That match is going to be really interesting because their last match that Higuchi won to be Japan's rep was 7-6 and really damn close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, CA_Wrestler said:

Well, he did it.

 

Now he's going to have another playoff match with Rei Higuchi because of this whole situation of Higuchi missing weight and having to go qualify the weight.  That match is going to be really interesting because their last match that Higuchi won to be Japan's rep was 7-6 and really damn close.

Looking forward to seeing this play out.  I hope they treat both Takahaski and Higuchi fairly; however, it does seem like the Japanese federation really wants Higuchi to be their rep.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, ShakaAloha said:

Looking forward to seeing this play out.  I hope they treat both Takahaski and Higuchi fairly; however, it does seem like the Japanese federation really wants Higuchi to be their rep.

The announcer said they will wrestle off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Looking forward to seeing this play out.  I hope they treat both Takahaski and Higuchi fairly; however, it does seem like the Japanese federation really wants Higuchi to be their rep.

I don't know about that.

All Higuchi had to do was make weight for the Asian qualifier and he had a very good chance to beat everybody if he did.

Takahashi was called on and did what they wanted him to do.  As far as Japan's World team goes, Takahashi has been more consistent as Rei has jumped all over the place since his 2016 silver(robbed) and I mentioned this before, but he was up at 70kg a few years ago when he couldn't beat Otoguro at 65kg.  61kg was too light for him at the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And there you go.  Takahashi won to be Japan's rep.

 

A chain of events all caused by Higuchi missing weight at what would have been an extremely easy qualification tournament.

 

If you also think about how Higuchi jumped up to 61kk/65kg after Rio, but couldn't beat Otoguro, then he went up to 70kg and couldn't make the team, then back down to 57kg just for the Olympic trials during one quad....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shiraz123 said:

Who stopped him at 61? I would think he could do great there.

Rinya Nakamura.  He was 61kg U23 World champion in 2017 and he was 6th at the 2017 Senior World Championships.  He lost to Bonne Rodriguez in the 2017 World Championships bronze medal match.  After 2017, Nakamura went up to 65kg, but wasn't able to beat Otoguro for a few years.  With the 2020 Olympics being postponed, he left for MMA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...