Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Jason Moore said:

Congrats to the program on a strong showing at UWW Junior Nationals. The future looks bright. 
3 Champs and 4 other placers. The team is young and will continue to get better. 

Rumor is Hawks was beating Kent in the room. I also believe he won the Black/Gold wrestle off. All that talent is a good thing. Can’t wait to see what unfolds in the next couple years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mizzou lineup is scary good for the next few years and very young.  It will be fun to watch.  NCAAs are going to be intense with Penn State, Iowa, Cornell, Michigan, Mizzou, and a few others with stacked lineups.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mizzoufan01 said:

Rumor is Hawks was beating Kent in the room. I also believe he won the Black/Gold wrestle off. All that talent is a good thing. Can’t wait to see what unfolds in the next couple years.

I saw he beat Foca and immediately was like 'WTF'

Looking at his results last year, even his losses were good losses.  It's a good problem to have that depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More impress to me is that this is a result of both locking down the Missouri talent and being instrumental in Missouri high school wrestling massively improving overall
(I’m aware guys like Mayhab and Eirman should get credit too)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, jp157 said:

More impress to me is that this is a result of both locking down the Missouri talent and being instrumental in Missouri high school wrestling massively improving overall
(I’m aware guys like Mayhab and Eirman should get credit too)

Most underrated part of Brian Smith's tenure is his commitment to growing the sport in the state. Missouri is now starting to produce elite talent (Rocky Elam, Josh Saunders) and that was started 20+ years ago by Coach Smith. I am very glad he is able to reap what he sowed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, MizzouGrad said:

Most underrated part of Brian Smith's tenure is his commitment to growing the sport in the state. Missouri is now starting to produce elite talent (Rocky Elam, Josh Saunders) and that was started 20+ years ago by Coach Smith. I am very glad he is able to reap what he sowed. 

I’m sure it also plays a part in helping lock down instate kids. Since most coaches give Smith that credit

 

 

 

that credit

Edited by jp157
Grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was just looking at the HS rankings for JR/SR and Missouri kids - Is this accurate? It might be a bit old. 

Shepherd - Missouri 

Mann - Princeton

Miller - Maryland

Dutton - 

Auch - Little Rock

White - American

Darrah - Cornell

Doolin - Northern Colorado

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jp157 said:

More impress to me is that this is a result of both locking down the Missouri talent and being instrumental in Missouri high school wrestling massively improving overall
(I’m aware guys like Mayhab and Eirman should get credit too)

The Purler Wrestling Academies, (STL - Nick, KC - Tony), should be mentioned as well.   The Purler Academies have been around for 20 plus years now.  They were really the first of their kind, at least in Missouri.  Sam Henson has also started a wrestling school, Bulltrained, that serves kids in the St. Louis and Mid-MO area. Sam's most notable pupil for the time being is his son, Wyatt, who will attend Iowa next fall. 

Thoroughbred Wrestling Academy, ran by former MU wrestler Marcus Hohen, is also worth mentioning. 

MU does have a great deal of depth for the foreseeable future.  Looking forward to watching the Tigers next year!  

 

 

Edited by smsu150

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MizzouGrad said:

Most underrated part of Brian Smith's tenure is his commitment to growing the sport in the state. Missouri is now starting to produce elite talent (Rocky Elam, Josh Saunders) and that was started 20+ years ago by Coach Smith. I am very glad he is able to reap what he sowed. 

He deserves credit for building a highly successful program, but what exactly has he done to grow the sport in the state?

I would question the argument  that he is the reason for more elite talent in the state. I think lots of access to high level private instruction throughout the state is the primary cause and I believe the Purlers got that ball rolling.

Edited by Missourimatman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

I remember the Purler Academies doing very well in Tulsa and other youth tournaments about ten years ago. Are they still going strong?

Indeed they are. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, smsu150 said:

The Purler Wrestling Academies, (STL - Nick, KC - Tony), should be mentioned as well.   The Purler Academies have been around for 20 plus year now.  They were really the first of their kind, at least in Missouri.  Sam Henson has also started a wrestling school, Bulltrained, that serves kids in the St. Louis and Mid-MO area. Sam's most notable pupil for the time being is his son, Wyatt, who will attend Iowa next fall. 

Thoroughbred Wrestling Academy, ran by former MU wrestling Marus Hohen, is also worth mentioning. 

MU does have a great deal of depth for the foreseeable future.  Looking forward to watching the Tigers next year!  

 

 

Gotcha. I’m not from there so I mainly know Mizzou has been a big influence. 
 

I mainly know Purler as my spam email for camps lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Of course coaches like Purler, Mayab and Hagerty all deserve credit, Glasgow and Schertz(Whitfield) as well. Most importantly credit goes to Coach Moore(OP). Not sure if he’s still HC at Holt. Coach Martin, Strohl, Brewer and Cornel Robinson. These gentlemen have taken what they’ve gotten off their coaches and tweaked it to today’s style of wrestling. Their commitment to year round wrestling shouldn’t go unnoticed. It takes dedicated coaches of all lvls to increase the overall depth and strength of the entire state. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fudge_tunnel said:

How about that club out of KC......Victory?   They still producing tough kids?

Absolutely. Mo overall is on the rise. It started with the late 90’s early 2000’s, and keeps getting stronger. Fudge you’ve been around the scene for a long time, yourself  and Northco. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, fudge_tunnel said:

How about that club out of KC......Victory?   They still producing tough kids?

Yes.  Some of the best wrestlers in Missouri have come out of that club. Cody Brewer comes to mind. 

Greater Heights in the North KC area is also worth mentioning.  As Mizzoufan01 pointed out, Missouri is a much stronger wrestling state than it once was.  MU has been the beneficiary of that growth.  

Coach Smith doesn't land every top recruit in the state, but his roster is filled with Missouri guys.  He has had a great deal of success with guys that weren't considered "blue chip" coming out of high school.  Probably the most notable case of this is NCAA champion Mark Ellis, who Coach Smith actually recruited off the football team.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, smsu150 said:

Yes.  Some of the best wrestlers in Missouri have come out of that club. Cody Brewer comes to mind. 

Greater Heights in the North KC area is also worth mentioning.  As Mizzoufan01 pointed out, Missouri is a much stronger wrestling state than it once was.  MU has been the beneficiary of that growth.  

Coach Smith doesn't land every top recruit in the state, but his roster is filled with Missouri guys.  He has had a great deal of success with guys that weren't considered "blue chip" coming out of high school.  Probably the most notable case of this is NCAA champion Mark Ellis, who Coach Smith actually recruited off the football team.  

I would guess that the success of the college drives High School level excellence as well. Kids see bunches of guys from their state doing well nationally at MU, it sets their goals and expectations higher.  I think this is why wrestling talent in the Pacific NW is slowly fading 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, smsu150 said:

Coach Smith doesn't land every top recruit in the state, but his roster is filled with Missouri guys.  He has had a great deal of success with guys that weren't considered "blue chip" coming out of high school.  Probably the most notable case of this is NCAA champion Mark Ellis, who Coach Smith actually recruited off the football team.  

7 of Mizzou's 10 starters this year were Missouri kids.  Not too shabby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Mizzoufan01 said:

Absolutely. Mo overall is on the rise. It started with the late 90’s early 2000’s, and keeps getting stronger. Fudge you’ve been around the scene for a long time, yourself  and Northco. 

I’ve been out of the loop in MO for a while now.  I still follow from afar, but I’m pretty consumed with CO wrestling now.  Only wish we had a message board like we had back in the day 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KCMO2 said:

7 of Mizzou's 10 starters this year were Missouri kids.  Not too shabby

This is ridiculous considering how good they are and how “bad” Missouri is on the high school scene. Rankings wise Missouri is probably around 10th in wrestling?
  
truly incredible 

Edited by Housebuye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

This is ridiculous considering how good they are and how “bad” Missouri is on the high school scene. Rankings wise Missouri is probably around 10th in wrestling?
  
truly incredible 

10th or so out of 50 states is "bad"?  It obviously isn't PA, NJ or Ohio, but Missouri has really done quite well recently on the High School scene.  Keeping the top 3 or so home per year would pay very well with 1 top 20 or so National Recruit.  Here is the recruiting info on the starting roster:(Missouri High School recruits in Bold)

285- Elam  #31 overall flowrestling recruit of 2018

197- Elam #11 overall flowrestling recruit of 2019

184- Kent  #11 at 170 flowrestling and #97 Intermat recruit of 2018

174- Mocco from Wisconsin and was #20 152 of 2018

165- O'Toole from Wisconsin and was the #2 overall flowresting recruit 2020

157- Jacques #51 overall Intermat recruit of 2018

149 Mauller #45 overall flowrestling recruit of 2018

141- Hart from Ohio and #84 overall flowrestling recruit of 2017

133- Schmitt #98 recruit(went to WVU before transferring to Mizz) overall flowrestling recruit of 2016

125-Surtin #15 at 120 Intermat recruit of 2019

 

The 2 Elams and O'Toole were PREMIUM recruits.  Mauller and Jacques were right at the edge of top 50.  Mocco and Surtin were the only 2 not in the top 100 overall.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Surtin is an Illinois kid.  I was counting Brown at 125, he was their starter all year up until the end.  He was a 4X champ at Oak Grove HS, MO, and was ranked as high as #5 in his weight class by Flo.

Edited by KCMO2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, KCMO2 said:

Surtin is an Illinois kid.  I was counting Brown at 125, he was their starter all year up until the end.  He was a 4X champ at Oak Grove HS, MO, and was ranked as high as #5 in his weight class by Flo.

My bad. No excuse for my laziness. I didn’t look at him closely because I already had the 3 non Missouri guys listed.  I do remember Brown looking really good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...