IronChef

Flo not paying women from Captains Cup?

Several of the women who competed were on social media yesterday talking about how they have not yet been paid their prize money from the Captains Cup, including Skylar Grote and Jaccara Winchester. Titan Mercury posted the following last night.

Is this a paperwork issue, is Flo the bad guy, or is it some combination of both?

51 minutes ago, BobDole said:

Flo will literally wait until the last possible day to send out a check. I held an event with them a few years ago and they said they would pay within 60 days. The check as mailed on day 60. 

How does that compare with doing commercials for sildanefil?

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

Several of the women who competed were on social media yesterday talking about how they have not yet been paid their prize money from the Captains Cup, including Skylar Grote and Jaccara Winchester. Titan Mercury posted the following last night.

Is this a paperwork issue, is Flo the bad guy, or is it some combination of both?

Is it possible some of the women got the deadline for submitting the W-9 from KJ?

Hate to say it but a lot of businesses do this (wait until the last second).
In the oilfield they love to wait their "90 day" window then say "you misprinted this so could you resubmit and wait another 90" ...
It's obviously annoying and frowned upon but some businesses run that way.
Kind of gross when you're dealing with individuals and not other companies... But sometimes Flo is gross.

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask Frank Rizzo because he knows more than me.

Here's to hoping that Rokfin is paying close attention. Talk about cherry picking a way to capitalize on your competitor's mistake. You literally just need to pay your most marginalized athletes in a timely manner. Not difficult....

3 hours ago, spladle08 said:

In the oilfield they love to wait their "90 day" window then say "you misprinted this so could you resubmit and wait another 90" ...
Kind of gross when you're dealing with individuals and not other companies... But sometimes Flo is gross.

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask Frank Rizzo because he knows more than me.

Payment terms should always be negotiated prior to an agreement. I’ve never heard of it being done otherwise. I’m confused 

It sounds like the people who haven’t been paid didn’t submit their paperwork over 60 days ago. I don’t understand their complaint. 

I’m all for holding Flo accountable, but if that’s true then it is on the wrestler. This doesn’t look like Flo’s fault, other than maybe a misstep PR wise

49 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

It sounds like the people who haven’t been paid didn’t submit their paperwork over 60 days ago. I don’t understand their complaint. 

I’m all for holding Flo accountable, but if that’s true then it is on the wrestler. This doesn’t look like Flo’s fault, other than maybe a misstep PR wise

My guess is most of these people don't usually have to submit an invoice to get paid for participating in events. This is likely a new adventure for these athletes that are accustomed to getting paid fairly quickly after the event without having to do much other than provide an address.

3 hours ago, Housebuye said:

Just b/c you are allowed to take 60 days does not mean you must or should. Flo's whole business depends on the good will of the wrestling community. They should pay the athletes quicker even if their contract does not demand it.

13 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Just b/c you are allowed to take 60 days does not mean you must or should. Flo's whole business depends on the good will of the wrestling community. They should pay the athletes quicker even if their contract does not demand it.

Do you pay your electric, phone etc bills two months before due date?  I get billed for inputs in one month due at the end of the next month and I dont pay till the due date.  But with wages there are other issue, if new first time employees you better make sure all the W-9s, tax info, other docs are all in order before you cut the check.  That's just how it works, nobody wants to throw away money.  

6 hours ago, spladle08 said:

The old mail the check for electricity in the water bill trick!

Small businesses that pay their vendors on time or early get premium service especially if the vendors are small. Working in Industry it is amazing how much cash flow matters to small business and how appreciative they are for early payments

10 minutes ago, jchapman said:

Are they getting paid in USD or Flobucks?

Winners get free flo subscription for a year. 
Losers get 2 partially used Starbucks gift cards and unsolicited advice on how to become more attractive to the mainstream consumer 

2 hours ago, NJDan said:

I agree. I said it was “maybe a misstep PR wise”

3 hours ago, ionel said:

Do you pay your electric, phone etc bills two months before due date?  I get billed for inputs in one month due at the end of the next month and I dont pay till the due date.  But with wages there are other issue, if new first time employees you better make sure all the W-9s, tax info, other docs are all in order before you cut the check.  That's just how it works, nobody wants to throw away money.  

I have never worked somewhere where it took 60 days for me to get paid. This is just another example of Flo failing to understand the importance of the wrestling community in their business. Maybe one day they will stop focusing on flomarching and their other 30 verticals and focus on the athletes/fans of their largest subscriber group. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

4 hours ago, ionel said:

Most people’s utility bills are due 30 days after they’ve used the utility, not 60.

And I would think Flo should have had all the docs “in order” prior to having the people wrestle on the card, no?  Seems like it would be a liability issue if not.

4 hours ago, ionel said:

Do you pay your electric, phone etc bills two months before due date?  

You are applying the idea of paying a bill to a company for a service they have provide to the concept of what the athlete are perceiving as a paycheck for service they have rendered a company.  I’m not sure where everything get murky with certain business transactions and what I guess could be perceived as the wrestling being an “independent contractor,” but I tend to expect my work pay to be provided in around 2 weeks after the job is finished not a month or two months later. 

But it terms of the contract, if athletes signed something that says 60 days then Flo does have that full amount of time to honor their side of the agreement.  Can’t complain too much if that’s the terms you previously agreed to.

Edited by MadMardigain

19 minutes ago, MadMardigain said:

You are applying the idea of paying a bill to a company for a service they have provide to the concept of what the athlete are perceiving as a paycheck for service they have rendered a company.  .

No I wasn't, I was simply giving an example that most people can relate to.  If a bill is due in 30 days (or 60) most people will pay it in 30 days (or 60), but sure some might pay early and thats their choice.  If you are running a business and borrowing money to do so, then why would you pay early, that will just increase your cost and might be a cash flow issue.  But furthermore with employees you have to have time to file all appropriate documents.  The info above says each would be paid within 60 days of receiving the W-9, that appears to be the agreement so why would a company spend extra money to do something different than agreed?  

Right, I’m guessing independent contractor.  Bright line about not being an employee.  Sounds sterile, and it is.  Make sure paper work is in order, expenses have clear audit trail, tax filings are all kosher.  Treat like  other vendors / contractors.  

Welcome to corporate America.

That said, if people are complaining on social media, I strongly want to believe that FLO broke their terms.  It would be childish and immature to complain about terms that one agreed to.  

47 minutes ago, nom said:

That said, if people are complaining on social media, I strongly want to believe that FLO broke their terms.  It would be childish and immature to complain about terms that one agreed to.  

This isn't normal nowadays?

1 hour ago, MadMardigain said:

You are applying the idea of paying a bill to a company for a service they have provide to the concept of what the athlete are perceiving as a paycheck for service they have rendered a company.  I’m not sure where everything get murky with certain business transactions and what I guess could be perceived as the wrestling being an “independent contractor,” but I tend to expect my work pay to be provided in around 2 weeks after the job is finished not a month or two months later. 

But it terms of the contract, if athletes signed something that says 60 days then Flo does have that full amount of time to honor their side of the agreement.  Can’t complain too much if that’s the terms you previously agreed to.

Can’t build goodwill when you don’t stop shooting yourself square in the Pyles Twitter Blocker