Swayz

Jim Zalesky to Jamestown (NAIA)

1 minute ago, OR said:

Now home to the world's largest buffalo AND Jim Zalesky.

I am also semi amused that Jim will be coaching the Jimmies!

AHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!   Thank you for that reminder.  Jim is the lead Jimmie!   Lot of Oregon ties to NAIA.   Midland in Nebraska and University of St. Mary in Kansas have Oregon ties as well.  

Something must have happened.  Knowing what his contract was, the bonuses he had access to, and the complete lack of competition to the Northwest's best wrestlers, no one would give that up to coach in ND with a huge pay cut

27 minutes ago, olddirty said:

Something must have happened.  Knowing what his contract was, the bonuses he had access to, and the complete lack of competition to the Northwest's best wrestlers, no one would give that up to coach in ND with a huge pay cut

Please explain?    Last I knew, he was living in AZ 

37 minutes ago, olddirty said:

Are you saying that Zalesky chose to leave Oregon State?  Zalesky did not leave by choice.

45 minutes ago, olddirty said:

I think you have been out of the loop for awhile.  "Dazed and Confused" 

38 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

What happened? Was he fired? I thought Oregon State had a pretty good program under him. 

https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/2020/03/oregon-state-fires-wrestling-coach-jim-zalesky-following-a-14-year-run.html

Zalesky had some decent years, but the program had definitely gone stale.  Just seeing the renewed enthusiasm and growth of the program in one year under Chris Pendleton, Nate Engel, IMar, and Coach Kosoy has been awesome!

22 hours ago, Idaho said:

I think you have been out of the loop for awhile.  "Dazed and Confused" 

Definitely.  He ran them into the ground bad enough that I just stopped paying attention.  With all the Covid babies in Oregon, sports in general there have been under the radar.  I was college roommates with the head and assistant of 3/6 programs in the state

I was trying to find out if Zalesky didn't coach this past year because he was still getting paid by Oregon State. I didn't find that info yet, but this article gives some of the contract details for his successor. https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/2020/06/oregon-state-awards-wrestling-coach-chris-pendleton-with-a-five-year-825000-contract.html

5 years, $825,000 - $165,000 average per year with increases at AD discretion
Performance Bonuses
Signing: $13,750
$5,000 - 5 or more qualifiers (6 this year)
$5,000 - top 20 NCAA
$10,000 - top 10 NCAA
$17,500 - NCAA team title
$3,000 (each) - PAC-12 and national coach of the year
$3,000 (each) - APR and GPA milestones

Pendleton has to pay $100,000 if he leaves before the end of the contract.

53 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Zalesky seems to be working his way down in the world. In a few years there will be a HS program with a head coach with 3 NCAA D1 titles!

My HS school currently has an opening if anyone with 3 NCAA D1 titles want to apply. Ah I’m sure they would consider some two timers too.  

Edited by MadMardigain

Zalesky did not do anything to improve the OSU program.  Nothing.  What he did do is make it difficult for parents to send their kids there by allowing coaches to beat up on them, see the Simmons issue.  We have a forum poster from Oregon who pulled his son out of that program and prevented his other son from going.  Bad vibes there.  I have to say, the few times I have personally seen Z, he looked like he was in la la land.  A downward trajectory is what I would expect.  I didn't expect it to go NAIA though.

He had all the tools he needed to make OSU a top 10 school and squandered his time and capital there.  I was excited he was coming to OSU years ago, but starting about 5 years ago I couldn't wait for him to leave. 

mspart