Swayz

Jim Zalesky to Jamestown (NAIA)

26 minutes ago, mspart said:

Zalesky did not do anything to improve the OSU program.  Nothing.  What he did do is make it difficult for parents to send their kids there by allowing coaches to beat up on them, see the Simmons issue.  We have a forum poster from Oregon who pulled his son out of that program and prevented his other son from going.  Bad vibes there.  I have to say, the few times I have personally seen Z, he looked like he was in la la land.  A downward trajectory is what I would expect.  I didn't expect it to go NAIA though.

He had all the tools he needed to make OSU a top 10 school and squandered his time and capital there.  I was excited he was coming to OSU years ago, but starting about 5 years ago I couldn't wait for him to leave. 

M

Edited by Downtown Brown
Mistype

Damn it here we go again on the Simmons BS. Let it go man. My brother saw it. He was there, right there. Recruiting weekend. Ultimate frisbee game blah blah blah. Lots of people around. It’s a bunch of Hogwash. Simmons never hit the kid like that, he was a bum. Dad went to the paper with some made for news Story about lost hearing blown ear drum . My brother didn’t go there but was close to many of the kids on the team. Obviously the admin knew it wasn’t real as well.

1 hour ago, Downtown Brown said:

Damn it here we go again on the Simmons BS. Let it go man. My brother saw it. He was there, right there. Recruiting weekend. Ultimate frisbee game blah blah blah. Lots of people around. It’s a bunch of Hogwash. Simmons never hit the kid like that, he was a bum. Dad went to the paper with some made for news Story about lost hearing blown ear drum . My brother didn’t go there but was close to many of the kids on the team. Obviously the admin knew it wasn’t real as well.

I cried when i read that article and you claim it is fake news?!

On 5/5/2021 at 6:43 PM, mspart said:

allowing coaches to beat up on them, see the Simmons issue. 

GTF outta here, you think in the day and age, where an accusation has 10x the power of any defense, that Simmons would be allowed anywhere near a wrestling room as a coach ever again? C’mon man...

On 5/4/2021 at 11:14 PM, lu_alum said:

Quite a career trajectory:

Iowa -> Oregon State -> Jamestown

HC at St. Mary is the Former Oregon Coach .   Not enough DI jobs out there to keep it up.  Especially on the west coast where no growth or more like slow growth is occuring. 

On 5/5/2021 at 11:10 AM, IronChef said:

I was trying to find out if Zalesky didn't coach this past year because he was still getting paid by Oregon State. I didn't find that info yet, but this article gives some of the contract details for his successor. https://www.oregonlive.com/beavers/2020/06/oregon-state-awards-wrestling-coach-chris-pendleton-with-a-five-year-825000-contract.html

5 years, $825,000 - $165,000 average per year with increases at AD discretion
Performance Bonuses
Signing: $13,750
$5,000 - 5 or more qualifiers (6 this year)
$5,000 - top 20 NCAA
$10,000 - top 10 NCAA
$17,500 - NCAA team title
$3,000 (each) - PAC-12 and national coach of the year
$3,000 (each) - APR and GPA milestones

Pendleton has to pay $100,000 if he leaves before the end of the contract.

Pac 12 shouldn't be to hard to get Odds are favorable.  Top 20 shouldn't be either...I mean for crying out loud,  you basically have  a helluva lot of athletes west of Colorado and Wyoming with very few DI options.   Recruit like hell and get the best of the west to stay out west.  However,  how many DI, DII, DIII and NAIA in Pacific time zone have been the champ of their division?   I say you win a NCAA DI title being in Oregon and having to travel so dam much not only does the NCAA Team title need to be higher,  but the APR and GPA need to as well.  

9 hours ago, Henry said:

Did Zalesky have any individual national champs during his tenure at OSU?

No...Dhesi (3rd) was the highest finish of one of his wrestlers.

On another note.... the guy is getting up there in age and has a lot of miles on his body. He looks like he's in pain just coaching.  He took a year off and could have called it quits, but he had the itch to just coach again- and if he was willing to put pride aside and drop down a notch or two in levels to just coach, it speaks volumes of him. He will be good for the program and still has a lot to teach. 

On 5/11/2021 at 10:12 PM, Idaho said:

No...Dhesi (3rd) was the highest finish of one of his wrestlers.

On another note.... the guy is getting up there in age and has a lot of miles on his body. He looks like he's in pain just coaching.  He took a year off and could have called it quits, but he had the itch to just coach again- and if he was willing to put pride aside and drop down a notch or two in levels to just coach, it speaks volumes of him. He will be good for the program and still has a lot to teach. 

You will see more and more "old shoulda retired guys"  taking over NAIA and Juco programs.   HC at a job opened up recently for NAIA was 36k.   That is why some of these schools wind up mediocre or staying ****ty, because nobody with a real drive wants to make lousy pay for premium effort.

2 hours ago, Swayz said:

You will see more and more "old shoulda retired guys"  taking over NAIA and Juco programs.   HC at a job opened up recently for NAIA was 36k.   That is why some of these schools wind up mediocre or staying ****ty, because nobody with a real drive wants to make lousy pay for premium effort.

Too many coaches can make more money coaching HS than they can coaching college at the D3, D2, & NAIA levels. Yes there are those programs in those non-D1 divisions that pay more, but those are few and far between. 

1 hour ago, TexRef said:

Too many coaches can make more money coaching HS than they can coaching college at the D3, D2, & NAIA levels. Yes there are those programs in those non-D1 divisions that pay more, but those are few and far between. 

I dont know about that dude, thats a huuuuuuge stretch.  What percentage of HS coaching jobs are offering a higher salary than D3, D2, and NAIA coaching jobs?  Myself as well as most of my teammates along the way are all still in the subsection of life.  I would be interested in where or how you came to this conclusion.

2 hours ago, olddirty said:

I dont know about that dude, thats a huuuuuuge stretch.  What percentage of HS coaching jobs are offering a higher salary than D3, D2, and NAIA coaching jobs?  Myself as well as most of my teammates along the way are all still in the subsection of life.  I would be interested in where or how you came to this conclusion.

If you're teaching at the school, which most schools want, you're looking at a decent salary in addition to a stipend for coaching that ranges anywhere from 3k to 6k. Depending on your coaching background some schools will hire you to teach BS classes that don't require a lot of thought so you can focus on coaching. 

The coaching salary for a head HS coach is anywhere from 4-6k depending on the district. The teaching salary is dependent upon the state and district as well as years of experience and education. There are definitely some public HS coaching positions (depending on circumstances) that would be better than lower level college. 

17 hours ago, olddirty said:

Olddirty-Thanks for catching that! I forgot to add that a HS coach is also teaching, so yes with the teaching salary ($60K for new teachers in Texas with no experience) added to the $10K that the HC of some of the better programs in Texas receive, it is hard for those coaches to make a jump to a non-D1 level college and only make $40K. Some of the colleges have opportunities on campus for coaches in admissions and etc...

Yeah but comparing coaching AND teaching to just teaching isnt really fair.  I have coached college, also teach and coach HS.  The work and requirements for teaching in high school as well as coaching are drastically more than is required for a college coach.  Finding a coaching position in HS that is offering more than $7k is extremely rare, even in California

12 hours ago, TexRef said:

Olddirty-Thanks for catching that! I forgot to add that a HS coach is also teaching, so yes with the teaching salary ($60K for new teachers in Texas with no experience) added to the $10K that the HC of some of the better programs in Texas receive, it is hard for those coaches to make a jump to a non-D1 level college and only make $40K. Some of the colleges have opportunities on campus for coaches in admissions and etc...

What do teachers make at the top end of the pay scale in TX?  

13 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

What do teachers make at the top end of the pay scale in TX?  

Not sure what the top end is, but in some areas of North Texas starting at $60K. Then the HC stipend is between $8K-$10K and the HC only coaches 1 sport.  

8 hours ago, Drew87 said:

Is this number real? I might have to teach in Texas...

Yes it is a real number, and actually may be higher in other districts. :) 

The sport is growing down here as there are more HS programs popping up every year. 

On 5/20/2021 at 9:46 AM, TexRef said:

Not sure what the top end is, but in some areas of North Texas starting at $60K. Then the HC stipend is between $8K-$10K and the HC only coaches 1 sport.  

What school districts?  I am not super familiar with Texas.  I looked at Austin school district and it looks like they start at 51K.  That isn't bad at all, but it isn't 60.  

Many districts in Oregon start out right around 50K also.