Sign in to follow this  
RegularStalling

ASU's lightweight logjam, how do they handle it?

After a little thought, Heres what I came up with.

2022:

125: Courtney (Make the cut one last time)

133: McGee

141: Vasquez/Chlebove

149: Parco 

157: Teemer

165: A. Valencia

174: Munoz

184: Belshay

197 Norfleet 

285: Schultz

Redshirt: Figueroa, Vasquez?

2023:

125: Figueroa

133: Courtney/McGee

141: McGee/Chlebove/Vasquez 

149: Parco (Too small to ever fill out 157.)

157: Transfer/Hole

165: Teemer

174: C. Valencia

184: Munoz

197: Norfleet?

285: Schultz

Redshirt: Vasquez?

After Parco's arrival, and Vasquez coming down to 61 kg, I personally think one of Vasquez or Chlebove will be the odd man out. You have a redshirt to play with when it comes to Vasquez, but I think sooner rather than later you'll see him or Chlebove hit the portal. I'm personally pulling for Vasquez to man the 141 spot, but based upon prior events my head says Chlebove is going to get every possible opportunity to be the guy.

11 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

I’ve never seen you more off. Valencia will most definitely be a starter after he takes a red shirt. And Munoz, AA potential at whatever weight he goes. 

haha fair enough. 

Valencia may be a starter his redshirt freshman year, but I don’t think he will make an impact at NCAAs. He makes too many mistakes that will take longer than a year to fix, in my amateur uninformed view. 

I really don’t see how Munoz AAs at 174 this coming year. He can sneak on the podium at a worse weights, but 174 is crazy. There will be 2 ncaa champions, 2 ncaa finalists and consistent AAs like Labriola. It doesn’t leave a lot of room for fringe guys. I do think he AAs eventually, just not in a weight like this in 2022

48 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

haha fair enough. 

Valencia may be a starter his redshirt freshman year, but I don’t think he will make an impact at NCAAs. He makes too many mistakes that will take longer than a year to fix, in my amateur uninformed view. 

I really don’t see how Munoz AAs at 174 this coming year. He can sneak on the podium at a worse weights, but 174 is crazy. There will be 2 ncaa champions, 2 ncaa finalists and consistent AAs like Labriola. It doesn’t leave a lot of room for fringe guys. I do think he AAs eventually, just not in a weight like this in 2022

It's even harder - there will be 3 past champions CStar. Griffith and Lewis plus 2 past finalists MKem & Hidlay plus up to five other AAs.  184 isn't much better - that weight may have up to 11 past AAs that include 1 Champ (AB) plus 2 other finalists (Hidlay/Dean) and 4X AA Myles Amine if he chooses to return and go 184.  Most of the weights next year seem to be pretty well loaded.  Giving everyone an extra year is going to make for stiff competition next season.

On 5/4/2021 at 6:25 PM, OBXWrestler said:

Bronco, don’t forget last year didn’t count eligibility wise. So, a RS Jr last year is a RS Jr again next season. 

I am not forgetting that BUT......................whether or not each individual will choose to utilize that extra year or not has not yet been determined.  So you can't really count that extra year just yet.

13 hours ago, Housebuye said:

haha fair enough. 

Labriola only beat Munoz 5-3 last year. Munoz is right there. Not a shocker is he doesn’t AA. But again, not a shocker if he gets on the podium.