Sign in to follow this  
IronChef

Oregon State Recruiting Class

The Zalesky news got me thinking about OSU. What is their 2021 class looking like? I see 14 names listed as committed, but how are they? Enriquez was the NJCAA runner-up this year. Willie's top 300 has OSU commits listed at 80, 182, 191, 209, and 295. Is that a decent class considering the returning lineup?

7 minutes ago, IronChef said:

The Zalesky news got me thinking about OSU. What is their 2021 class looking like? I see 14 names listed as committed, but how are they? Enriquez was the NJCAA runner-up this year. Willie's top 300 has OSU commits listed at 80, 182, 191, 209, and 295. Is that a decent class considering the returning lineup?

Decent maybe,  but typically the guys who get on the podium are, a very high %, top 30 recruits, OSU has a long way to go.  Still I want to see better participation in the west. 

15 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Build the Dam!  Its been hard to keep up with the names flying in.  19 by my count.  It's a huge class.  I'm thinking all sans the D1 transfers will be able to RS.  One or two may make it in the line up.

Yes, the guys on the podium are typically highly ranked coming out. I wonder what OSU had to work with from a scholarship standpoint considering who was on the team and returning next year. They will need to do really well in California and beyond, as Oregon does not typically produce many highly ranked recruits. 

5 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Yes, the guys on the podium are typically highly ranked coming out. I wonder what OSU had to work with from a scholarship standpoint considering who was on the team and returning next year. They will need to do really well in California and beyond, as Oregon does not typically produce many highly ranked recruits. 

As a Nebraska fan,  I am happy they let Ty Berger slip out of the state.  :-)  Don't know how many other top 30 recruits came out of Oregon in the past several years. But yeah they need to make some inroads in neighboring states (Idaho, UT, CA), there are typically some good talent coming from those. 

38 minutes ago, aknipp said:

Decent maybe,  but typically the guys who get on the podium are, a very high %, top 30 recruits, OSU has a long way to go.  Still I want to see better participation in the west. 

Solid group of high school kids, but 3 different NCAA qualifiers coming in from the transfer portal upgrades this a very strong haul for the beavers imo

Their 2021 recruiting class is far from a game changer, but I think going forward they'll prove to be an adequate in conference rival for ASU. There seems to be a liveliness about the program that just wasn't there during the backend of Zalesky's tenure 

125: Brandon Kaylor (NCAA Q)
133: Devan Turner (3x NCAA Q)
141: Grant Willits (3x NCAA Q)
149: Cory Crooks (NCAA Q)
157: Hunter Willits (3x NCAA Q)
165: Matt Olguin (top-50ish recruit in '19/CA state champ)
174: Mason Reiniche (top 50-ish recruit in '19/3x National Prep finalist)
184: Tanner Harvey (2x NCAA Q)/Ryan Reyes (NCAA Q)
197: JJ Dixon (NCAA Q)
285: Gary Traub (NCAA Q)

Not necessarily anyone who is going to put up big points at NCAA, but looks like a super scrappy dual team to me.

37 minutes ago, lurk_nowitzki said:

125: Brandon Kaylor (NCAA Q)
133: Devan Turner (3x NCAA Q)
141: Grant Willits (3x NCAA Q)
149: Cory Crooks (NCAA Q)
157: Hunter Willits (3x NCAA Q)
165: Matt Olguin (top-50ish recruit in '19/CA state champ)
174: Mason Reiniche (top 50-ish recruit in '19/3x National Prep finalist)
184: Tanner Harvey (2x NCAA Q)/Ryan Reyes (NCAA Q)
197: JJ Dixon (NCAA Q)
285: Gary Traub (NCAA Q)

Not necessarily anyone who is going to put up big points at NCAA, but looks like a super scrappy dual team to me.

This lineup looks correct with the exception of 174. If McKinney goes back down to 174 where he was in 2020 it will be a toss up. He defeated Reiniche 10-9 that year. Matt Olquin and Reyes were both Top 5 guys coming out of HS for their weight. They had a lot of qualifiers this year (for OSU) and it will increase next year.

As for recruiting:

2021 - Notables: Two NCAA Q for transfers, Enriquez who was a 2x PA state placer and JC runner-up,  Kodiak Stephens who just made junior world team in greco, #13  285 Jacob Barnes,  #10 182 Asher Ruchti from OR,  Iowa state champ Gambrall and as CB said - a decent list of more. 

2022 - #12 Whisenhunt, #13 Deblaere.  Also 3x WA state champ  Isaiah Anderson

Overall much better than it has been. Of course a lot of guys won't start, but the room has gotten significantly tougher with some options at some weights.  It will take some time but it's already on the upswing. 

Targets for 2022 from the NW  should be #1 Rylan Rogers 195,  #9 Rowley OR 170.  They have been recruiting CA hard with the additions of Reyes, Olquin and others in the 2021 class. It helps to have the Dam RTC up and going, IMAR and  having the 2x greco coach of the year on staff. All in all, OSU is in a good place and  going upward. 

2 hours ago, aknipp said:

If Oregon State can keep Oregon kids home it would be huge.  This has been the case for quite a while.  Obviously would need to full in kids from other areas, but Oregon isn't as weak as you might think. 

Recent/Current Oregonians:

Tyler Berger, Travis Wiitlake, Sam Colbray, Sean Harmon, Colin Purinton, Tanner Harvey, Austin Harris, Ronnie Bresser, Tanner Harvey, Brawley Lamer, Nick Amuchastegui, Matt Gentry, RJ Pena, Colby Covington, Matt Gentry, Shane Webster, Chael Sonnen, Doug Lee.  I know that I am missing more.

By no means could Oregon field a top tier DI lineup by itself, but it produce a solid foundation to build upon.

3 hours ago, OR said:

If Oregon State can keep Oregon kids home it would be huge.  This has been the case for quite a while.  Obviously would need to full in kids from other areas, but Oregon isn't as weak as you might think. 

Recent/Current Oregonians:

Tyler Berger, Travis Wiitlake, Sam Colbray, Sean Harmon, Colin Purinton, Tanner Harvey, Austin Harris, Ronnie Bresser, Tanner Harvey, Brawley Lamer, Nick Amuchastegui, Matt Gentry, RJ Pena, Colby Covington, Matt Gentry, Shane Webster, Chael Sonnen, Doug Lee.  I know that I am missing more.

By no means could Oregon field a top tier DI lineup by itself, but it produce a solid foundation to build upon.

Recent? Like what, this century? May as well throw Howard Harris in there. 

15 hours ago, Downtown Brown said:

Recent? Like what, this century? May as well throw Howard Harris in there. 

That's fair.  I typed that list out in haste.

I think that my point still stands.  If OSU can keep Oregon wrestlers at home it would put the team on solid footing.  Would absolutely need to fill many holes, but Oregon can and does produce talent.  

In recent and upcoming years we have lost Travis Wittlake (OkSt), Sean Harmon (Mizz), Sam Colbray (ISU), Berger (Neb), Purinton (Neb), Austin Harris (OkSt), Lamer (Cal Poly), Lamer (Michigan).

51 minutes ago, OR said:

That's fair.  I typed that list out in haste.

I think that my point still stands.  If OSU can keep Oregon wrestlers at home it would put the team on solid footing.  Would absolutely need to fill many holes, but Oregon can and does produce talent.  

In recent and upcoming years we have lost Travis Wittlake (OkSt), Sean Harmon (Mizz), Sam Colbray (ISU), Berger (Neb), Purinton (Neb), Austin Harris (OkSt), Lamer (Cal Poly), Lamer (Michigan).

Unfortunately sounds like that there’s more leaving. I think the conference affiliation makes it a tough sell for kids that really want big time competition and preparation. Watch the next 2 biggest prospects in the state leave as well. 

39 minutes ago, Downtown Brown said:

Unfortunately sounds like that there’s more leaving. I think the conference affiliation makes it a tough sell for kids that really want big time competition and preparation. Watch the next 2 biggest prospects in the state leave as well. 

Yes, I agree.  Some hurdles to clear.  One can always hope though, right!

2 hours ago, Downtown Brown said:

The OSU out of conference schedule will be much tougher under CP.... won't change the conference schedule but at least they can make up some for it. Wrestling OKst this year was good. We actually had more matches than most teams this year. 

Wittlake, Berger and the 2 Lamers are the biggest losses IMO - Colbray has yet to AA and with Harvey/Reyes at 184 we will be fine for years to come. They passed on Purinton partly because they signed Rich who had beat him 15-7 during the season.  Hindsight is 20/20.  Harmon won't start at Missouri so I am hoping he returns home. Harris has really come along. With Gas Tank and  "little" Barnes coming up,  I think we are okay at hwt.   

I'm hoping we land Rowley, Singleton and Walters along with Rogers and Hamlin as NW guys. 

What is happening in the Pacific NW? Agree with some other posters that the area has been good historically.  Not enough to be a solid base for OSU now.  Only 11 wrestlers from Washington, Oregon, Idaho and Alaska qualified for the tourney this year.  That is the rough equivalent of Colorado, which is in the 15-20 range in HS wrestling. 

Engel is a great recruiter and just getting started. As posted above, they got two good ones in '22 already.

I think he got some good rough prospects in this class, specifically Stephens who had a good Coralville.

I agree this class isn't game changing (and won't be a top 25 class) but they're on the right path imo.

1 hour ago, Idaho said:

The OSU out of conference schedule will be much tougher under CP.... won't change the conference schedule but at least they can make up some for it. Wrestling OKst this year was good. We actually had more matches than most teams this year. 

Wittlake, Berger and the 2 Lamers are the biggest losses IMO - Colbray has yet to AA and with Harvey/Reyes at 184 we will be fine for years to come. They passed on Purinton partly because they signed Rich who had beat him 15-7 during the season.  Hindsight is 20/20.  Harmon won't start at Missouri so I am hoping he returns home. Harris has really come along. With Gas Tank and  "little" Barnes coming up,  I think we are okay at hwt.   

I'm hoping we land Rowley, Singleton and Walters along with Rogers and Hamlin as NW guys. 

Most of the kids in 2nd paragraph were prize recruits during Z's tenure as HC.  All sans the most recent Lamer who committed to Michigan.  Coach Pendleton wasn't even around for most of them.  It'll take some time to give them a reason to stay home.  Even at that some will want to test the waters elsewhere.  All Beav fans I've spoke too agree it's headed in the right direction.  Build The Dam!

On 5/5/2021 at 1:26 PM, lurk_nowitzki said:

Solid group of high school kids, but 3 different NCAA qualifiers coming in from the transfer portal upgrades this a very strong haul for the beavers imo

I really like this approach. Get some known quantities in to perform right away and get some much needed visibility for the program and slowly build your recruiting over the next couple years.

I also posted this in the Zalesky to the Jimmies thread.  This article gives some good insight into what Oregon State and Coach Pendleton are building.

Definitely a buzz and energy that was been absent for quite a while.

https://www.kerryeggers.com/stories/despite-covid-19-it-has-been-a-fantastic-year-for-new-beaver-wrestling-coach-chris-pendleton

Edited by OR

There should be enough good quality kids in the PNW to fill the roster in Corvallis. Back when UofO still had a program it seems like the majority of their roster was Oregon and Washington. That was also back when there was other recruiting competition from Portland State, Boise State, and a few Cali schools too. 

I think they are going in the right direction and they are attracting kids from outside of the PNW. I think there is even a kid from Texas that has signed with Oregon State, Jackson Crandall.