Dave Habat SLO & Edinboro

Dom Abounader LBN & Michigan

Sebastian Rivera PUR & Northwestern & Rutgers

Colin Realbuto ITA & Northern Iowa

Evan Ramos PUR & Shippensburg

Mitch Finesilver ISR & Duke

Jordan Oliver USA & Oklahoma State

Ethan Ramos PUR & North Carolina

There are also two Heino brothers who went to Campbell but are native Finns. 

I thought Dom Abounader stopped representing Lebanon after he was forced to forfeit against Israel?  Is he not actually competing or was the disagreement resolved somehow?  Did Lebanon switch their policy or is Abounader now in support of it?  I am out of the loop on this one. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

27 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

I thought Don Abounader stopped representing Lebanon after he was forced to forfeit against Israel?  Is he not actually competing or was the disagreement resolved somehow?  Did Lebanon switch their policy or is Abounader now in support of it?  I am out of the loop on this one. 

Abounader is competing for Lebenon, but I don't know how anything was resolved, nor would I make any assumptions about his opinions on the policy. It's not like Dom has any control or influence over the politics of Lebenon. 

40 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

I thought Dom Abounader stopped representing Lebanon after he was forced to forfeit against Israel?  Is he not actually competing or was the disagreement resolved somehow?  Did Lebanon switch their policy or is Abounader now in support of it?  I am out of the loop on this one. 

He probably just resigned to knowing he takes that chance and this is his only shot at making an Olympic team.

5 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

Abounader is competing for Lebenon, but I don't know how anything was resolved, nor would I make any assumptions about his opinions on the policy. It's not like Dom has any control or influence over the politics of Lebenon. 

Right, but he has influence over whether he chooses to represent them, and he said after he was forced to forfeit that he would no longer compete for them.  That tweet is now deleted. Israel is working on a treaty with Lebanon, similar to the recent ones with UAE and Bahrain.  That's why I'm asking whether their policy about refusing to compete against Israeli wrestlers has changed.  Without being assured that he is no longer required to forfeit (it's entirely possible that he has been given this assurance), I don't think it would be good PR for Michigan RTC to support him.  Either way-it is an interesting question-maybe a wrestling journalist can find out whether Lebanon has changed their policy.

Just now, maligned said:

It's all probably moot for today. Abounader hurt his knee pretty significantly in his first match. I'm guessing he'll either not continue or bow out this round.

Agree, just saw that.  No longer matters.  Still, I'm curious whether Lebanon changed their policy-it's very possible.  

2 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

I count 11

Noel Torres MEX & Newman

Malik Amine SMR & Michigan

Nestor Taffur COL & Boston U

Dave Habat SLO & Edinboro

Dom Abounader LBN & Michigan

Sebastian Rivera PUR & Northwestern & Rutgers

Colin Realbuto ITA & Northern Iowa

Evan Ramos PUR & Shippensburg

Mitch Finesilver ISR & Duke

Jordan Oliver USA & Oklahoma State

Ethan Ramos PUR & North Carolina

There are also two Heino brothers who went to Campbell but are native Finns. 

Make it at least 12. Missed Zach Merrill PUR & Oklahoma. Any others?

3 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Right, but he has influence over whether he chooses to represent them, and he said after he was forced to forfeit that he would no longer compete for them.  That tweet is now deleted. Israel is working on a treaty with Lebanon, similar to the recent ones with UAE and Bahrain.  That's why I'm asking whether their policy about refusing to compete against Israeli wrestlers has changed.  Without being assured that he is no longer required to forfeit (it's entirely possible that he has been given this assurance), I don't think it would be good PR for Michigan RTC to support him.  Either way-it is an interesting question-maybe a wrestling journalist can find out whether Lebanon has changed their policy.

I would like to know too.  Abounder made a big stink about it at the time, saying he was done wrestling for Lebanon, etc.  And now we don't hear anything and he is back representing them.

10 minutes ago, jchapman said:

How much of this depth has any real chance to compete for an Olympic medal?

Amine at 86 and Micic at 57 definitely have a real chance. Micic came within 1 point twice at last worlds and Amine has beaten everyone of note at 86 outside of the big 3 (Yazdani/Taylor/Russia). Russia obviously has more medal contending exports than we do if that's your point, but the guys that jump to other nations for us are generally really competitive even if they're not top 10 for us domestically.

13 minutes ago, jchapman said:

How much of this depth has any real chance to compete for an Olympic medal?

Myles Amine qualified by placing 5th at the 2019 Worlds, so pretty fair shot there. Micic can sneak in at 57kg. And our back-up at 97kg, Snyder, is probably gonna medal too ;)

If the wrestlers are good enough to qualify, I say why not. Most of em train here, making the USA Wrestling ecosystem better, and they’re probably going on their host country’s dime. Everybody wins.

2 hours ago, maligned said:

Amine at 86 and Micic at 57 definitely have a real chance. Micic came within 1 point twice at last worlds and Amine has beaten everyone of note at 86 outside of the big 3 (Yazdani/Taylor/Russia). Russia obviously has more medal contending exports than we do if that's your point, but the guys that jump to other nations for us are generally really competitive even if they're not top 10 for us domestically.

I wasn't intending to make any point, just curious.  I figured Amine and Micic; the rest of these guys at the Qualifier I don't know much about internationally.