maligned

Last Chance OG qualifier

Gadzhiev wins 2-1 and will see the winner of JO vs Gor Ogannesyan of Ukraine in the semis. Winner qualifies for the Olympics.

He looks old as hell and I feel like he's been wrestling forever, so I looked him up and it turns out that he's only 33. JO's not too far behind at 30 and his birthday's on Saturday - a ticket to Tokyo might be the best gift he'll ever get!

5 hours ago, maligned said:

Mukhtarov's been around. Not a transfer as far as I know. He's athletic and has kept some big opponents close-ish before. But this is by far his biggest win. David Habat can absolutely beat him next round and head to the semi's as a clear favorite to steal an olympic berth

His only matches in the UWW database are representing France, and that goes back to Cadets in 2012. I can't find a birthplace for him, but he does not seem to be a wrestling-related transfer of citizenship.

36 minutes ago, Uwwdoc said:

Salkazanov who had an epic Euro Champs and won the title beating Chamizo and Russia just failed to qualify for the Olympics. How crazy.

He obviously lost to a guy who would be near the top of the depth chart if he were still in Russia

2 hours ago, maligned said:

He obviously lost to a guy who would be near the top of the depth chart if he were still in Russia

Also past world Champ @ 70 kg and World Silver in 2017 Tsabalov/Cabolov who recently beat Sidakov  lost in the 1/8 round to a guy who lost in the 1/4s.- the bottom 1/2 of the 74 kg bracket was the most brutal one in the tournament.

Porter loses 7-0 to the Turk.

Not sure what happened midway through the first.  Did he smash his tooth or something?

He didn't have anything for the Turk.  The Turk was a bit shorter, much more stocky, and stingy as they come defensively.  In the first half of the first period alone, Porter had his head low enough to put himself in a front headlock situation at least 6 times.  Interesting approach being as this guy was a good bit shorter.

Porter falls 7-0 to a very tough Turk that's a former world medalist and U23 world champion. He made some things interesting in the first period but seemed to be getting a little impatient down 1-0 and went for a big lateral that sent him to his own back. That was the match. The Turk's only other points were the automatic Greco 1 for a passivity caution and a last second 2 when Porter was flailing trying to make something happen.

Matches on all mats have been averaging about 7 minutes and we're 12 matches from Coon's quarterfinal on Mat C, so I'd guess that will happen a little before 8am ET.

2 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

In the first half of the first period alone, Porter had his head low enough to put himself in a front headlock situation at least 6 times.  Interesting approach being as this guy was a good bit shorter.

I wouldn't say he was getting into that situation from having his head low. That was clearly the Turk's go-to set up. He'd feign underneath setups and jump into that position again and again. And it was a tough, heavy position. More than anything, that seemed to be what wore Porter down and led to the unnecessary risk at the end of the 1st.

8 minutes ago, maligned said:

I wouldn't say he was getting into that situation from having his head low. That was clearly the Turk's go-to set up. He'd feign underneath setups and jump into that position again and again. And it was a tough, heavy position. More than anything, that seemed to be what wore Porter down and led to the unnecessary risk at the end of the 1st.

Aye, his patience wore thin on that and, yes, it did appear he wore Porter down considerably.  This Turk was just... solid and looked all of 77kg.

6 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Aye, his patience wore thin on that and, yes, it did appear he wore Porter down considerably.  This Turk was just... solid and looked all of 77kg.

Did you see the Algerian right before that match too? Geez. No idea how he made 77.

Just now, maligned said:

Did you see the Algerian right before that match too? Geez. No idea how he made 77.

Guy was massive, too.  The eastern bloc and many other countries treat greco as a lateral option to freestyle, and not just a 2nd option.  It shows when we compete overseas that our focus is freestyle.  It's amazing that Russia is just as elite at greco as they are freestyle and we're nowhere near them.  Add in that historically at the big international events that there have been more greco entrants, at least the last 9ish years, and it is perplexing why we don't make it a focus as well.

12 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

Guy was massive, too.  The eastern bloc and many other countries treat greco as a lateral option to freestyle, and not just a 2nd option.  It shows when we compete overseas that our focus is freestyle.  It's amazing that Russia is just as elite at greco as they are freestyle and we're nowhere near them.  Add in that historically at the big international events that there have been more greco entrants, at least the last 9ish years, and it is perplexing why we don't make it a focus as well.

I realize it's been discussed ad nauseam on these boards, but I agree with many others that the evolution of offseason youth training toward mostly folk style has snuffed out any chance at us being strong in Greco for the foreseeable future. Folk still translates well enough to freestyle and kids are still doing enough free that we maintain a good level. But no one's doing greco young and the transfer of skills isnt nearly as intuitive if you get into it later.

I was looking back at Ramonov of Kyrgyzstan. That's arguably Coon's best win since his silver medal run. At 2019 worlds, Ramonov lost only 6-4 to perpetual gold/silver Pino of Cuba and then 3-1 to perpetual silver/bronze Nabi of Estonia in the repechage. 

Another tidbit:

Georgia, Iran, and Russia are still alive to become the only nations with all 6 Greco weights full for Tokyo. Georgia needs to fill both 60 and 77 and is alive in the quarters in both. 

Iran and Russia are both missing 87kg and they're both alive in the quarterfinals. If they win, they'll face each other in the semi's to see who gets that full-team honor.

The Finn beats Georgiev of Bulgaria in somewhat of an upset in the other quarter in Coon's bracket, so that's who he'll have with a win. I would have leaned toward Ramonov or Kuchmii beating Coon, but he looked stout in round 1 and I'm starting to like his chances overall much more.

Edited by maligned

Glad I caught this Coon match... Looks like 2 mammoths... And Coon gets tossed (armspin/throw) for 4, 1 min in .. we trail

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask Frank Rizzo because he knows more than me.

Coon visibly upset his dreams are in the balance....

He's digging hard....

Both very active

Kuch living on the 2 on 1 ... Coon gets put down 5-0

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask Frank Rizzo because he knows more than me.