2 hours ago, Alwayswrestling said:

I think he realized there were to many any holes in his story for the excuse for not making weight on time.  JMO

Or was simply depending on KJ to let him know date for submitting paperwork and missed the appeals submission deadline. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by ionel

21 hours ago, pa in taiwan said:

You're doing a lot more than reaching; you're dreaming, or hallucinating. The most surprising thing is that there are other comments here from people who seem to think that this is a feasible and reasonable proposition.

FLO: "Hey, Abdulrashid, we have a plan to set up a 'tune-up match' for you before the Olympics, which we know you see as the most important competition for you in four (five) years. You fly over here to the US some time before July and we'll have a match with you against J-den Cox. Just look at the tremendous upside for you. In a match like this, where you would have to wrestle 110% because J'den surely would bring everything he has, you could easily get injured and miss the Olympics. A win for you would be seen as expected, as you are widely considered the P4P best in the world, so don't expect congratulations. A loss for you, against the guy who didn't even make the US team because he missed weight, would be an eternal black mark on your record, and could have psychological ramifications that could derail your Olympic bid. In addition, it would totally throw off your well-planned training schedule in the run-up to the Olympic Games.  The two time zone changes a few months before the Olympic Games would be great for you. Let's do it!"

Russian Coaches: "Yeah, Sadulaev, go for it! A 'tune-up match' like this is certainly more important than the Olympics, especially if it's promoted by FLO!"

I pretty much covered your talking points in my post but thanks anyway for turning it into a Broadway play.

And duh, most of us know a Cox vs Sadulaev match would be a huge longshot if not impossible, especially before the Olympics. But the fact that the majority of the wrestling world would love to see J'den vs Sadulaev, the Olympics are still 3 months away, and don't most federations participate in some sort of tune-up tournament before Worlds and Olympics? Plus J'den is friends with Sadulaev and communicates with him, and btw, didn't Dake and Chamizo receive real nice paychecks for their one Flo match?

Again, of course it's a longshot, but maybe Sadulaev would be interested to travel and wrestle one match for a nice paycheck, even though I doubt his coaches would let him as I already stated in my prior post. Just trying to see some good out of J'den's unfortunate situation.

6 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Huge Cox fan. Not a fan of the literally holier than thou attitude. Insinuating that something was taken from him by saying he’s going to take back what’s rightfully his while acknowledging the decision was a fair one doesn’t sit well with me. Too much drama queen. Can’t wait to see him back his words up though. 

I don't know, I didn't take it as he felt something was taken from him unfairly, as much as he just feels he's the best in the world at 97 right now and having to wait another year to prove it really pisses him off and has lit a fire under him.  I really came away from the interview feeling like he's not looking to even worry about laying blame anywhere, just take it for what it is and use it...

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

I don't know, I didn't take it as he felt something was taken from him unfairly, as much as he just feels he's the best in the world at 97 right now and having to wait another year to prove it really pisses him off and has lit a fire under him.  I really came away from the interview feeling like he's not looking to even worry about laying blame anywhere, just take it for what it is and use it...

Look, I'm a Cox fan too, but let's call a spade a spade. He literally said he would take what was rightfully his (words you only use when something is taken from you unfairly) after delivering a literal sermon about how badly he's going to ruin people by summoning the wrath of God. I'm cool with it,  just saying. 

Just now, wrestlingnerd said:

Look, I'm a Cox fan too, but let's call a spade a spade. He literally said he would take what was rightfully his (words you only use when something is taken from you unfairly) after delivering a literal sermon about how badly he's going to ruin people by summoning the wrath of God. I'm cool with it,  just saying. 

I hear what you're saying, just saying I didn't take it that way.

1 hour ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Really?  

11 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I had to look that up. I"d never heard that term used in a pejorative way before. Brutal of you to point it out, though. Absolutely not what I meant. 

Don't worry about it, pretty much every word or phase you thought you once knew now has an alternative new meaning that allows someone to be offended and outraged.  Someone started another thread title hoodwinked -  unbelievable!  :(    ;_;

17 hours ago, Lurker said:

I hear what you're saying, just saying I didn't take it that way.

I didn't take it that way either....I took it he is so confident in his abilities that he feels the gold medal is his and he will get it.

Yes, I'm surprised with the language he is using.  Now that he has said it, he HAS to back it up or be embarrassed for life.  He must win 92 this year, and then he must beat Snyder, which I do not believe would have happened this year, but next year I see more possibility, unless we see a newly resurgent PSU led Snyder that takes on the world like we have never seen before. I don't see that happening, I think Snyder will medal and I hope he gets in the finals.  I more so hope he beats Sadulaev, although beating a legend who is only 25 years old is a tall order.  He did it once but Sad was underweight and it was not really a completely convincing win.  I would at least like to see a full 6 minute match between the two.  He got caught last time on a jr high move (which it was and why he shouldn't have been caught by it) and got pinned early.  Kudos to Sad and his coaches for seeing that weakness and exploiting it.  But even though I really like KS, I don't think he beats Sad.  But I'd really like to see him get the opportunity again.  Cael and Company have a lot of motivation and training to do to get him ready to beat all comers to get to Sad.  The draw at the Olys will be interesting to see for sure. 

mspart

Edited by mspart

2 hours ago, ionel said:

Don't worry about it, pretty much every word or phase you thought you once knew now has an alternative new meaning that allows someone to be offended and outraged.  Someone started another thread title hoodwinked -  unbelievable!  :(    ;_;

The issue I have is people aren't gracious in letting others know the original meaning that has gotten lost over time so that someone can be educated. If I'm inflicting pain on someone, I want to know about it so I can stop. But people aren't automatically idiots for not realizing that "calling a spade a spade" or "hoodwinked" or "uppity" started out with dehumanizing meanings. When I do realize it, I stop using them. But give folks a chance to succeed.

Edited by maligned

25 minutes ago, maligned said:

The issue I have is people aren't gracious in letting others know the original meaning that has gotten lost over time so that someone can be educated. If I'm inflicting pain on someone, I want to know about it so I can stop. But people aren't automatically idiots for not realizing that "calling a spade a spade" or "hoodwinked" or "uppity" started out with dehumanizing meanings. When I do realize it, I stop using them. But give folks a chance to succeed.

Yes, @TBar1977 and @jchapman are the ones who deserve to be called out here. There was a chance to point someone in a helpful direction, but instead they went for cheap internet points. Also, "calling a spade a spade" did not start out with a dehumanizing meaning. It has evolved into something questionable over time for some people. Learn more about it here https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/09/19/224183763/is-it-racist-to-call-a-spade-a-spade

9 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Yes, @TBar1977 and @jchapman are the ones who deserve to be called out here. There was a chance to point someone in a helpful direction, but instead they went for cheap internet points. Also, "calling a spade a spade" did not start out with a dehumanizing meaning. It has evolved into something questionable over time for some people. Learn more about it here https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2013/09/19/224183763/is-it-racist-to-call-a-spade-a-spade

If "Really?" is a cheapshot, then I am guilty.

It's interesting that you made a value judgement on me, without first providing the chance to be pointed in a helpful direction.

Would you have felt better if I included a link to the first article that pops up on a google search?

Edited by jchapman

19 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I had to look that up. I"d never heard that term used in a pejorative way before. Brutal of you to point it out, though. Absolutely not what I meant. 

Oh come on, that would have been a great tangent to the topic! Someone could have crowbarred in holocaust denial right after. 

My bad and my ignorance for not checking UWW schedule. I didn't realize there was the Poland ranking series scheduled in June and actually thought there were no tournaments until Olympics. Even though it was wishful thinking and would love to see it, now I agree - there's no way we'll get a Sadulaev vs Cox on a Flo card any time soon, if ever.

And now with J'den dropping back down to 92 (which I didn't know either), I could see how pa in taiwan thought I was hallucinating.   :D

On Bader’s show, Cox again talked about “making them all pay.” He never really goes into who “them” is or why they deserve payback. Who is he talking about, and what did they do? I thought by now he’d be owning up to his error, but he seems to be leaning into the “I was wronged” angle.

2 hours ago, IronChef said:

On Bader’s show, Cox again talked about “making them all pay.” He never really goes into who “them” is or why they deserve payback. Who is he talking about, and what did they do? I thought by now he’d be owning up to his error, but he seems to be leaning into the “I was wronged” angle.

It's possible he is manufacturing a "me vs. the bad guys" scenerio to provide motivation.  Great example is Michael Jordan in the Last Dance.

3 minutes ago, jchapman said:

It's possible he is manufacturing a "me vs. the bad guys" scenerio to provide motivation.  Great example is Michael Jordan in the Last Dance.

Kinda what I was thinking.  I get the feeling listening to him that it's not so much he feels he was wronged as much as he's purposely using it as motivation.

I understand the idea of manufacturing outside motivation, but it really didn't sound like that. Here is a cleaned-up transcript of what I was talking about.

"The treatment afterwards, that was a problem for me. I'm a person that if you're in my circle, you're ride or die. If you're in my tight knit circle, you're a person I would jump in front of a bullet for.

To have people who claimed to be that, and to have an organization that preached the way that they were, and then when it came time to showcase that we were above the outside world, we were brothers, we were people who fought together, trained together. It was us against the world. That claimed to have your best intentions literally and physically turn their backs.

It didn't get showed to me. Everything you preached to me didn't show. And now, it's like, I'm going to make them all pay."

Bader then immediately changed the subject instead of asking a single follow up question.

Here are some quotes he gave on the Tiger Style Report podcast then transcribed in the Columbia Daily Tribune (emphasis mine)
https://www.columbiatribune.com/story/sports/2021/05/05/wrestling-jden-cox-looking-ahead-after-usa-olympic-trials-fiasco-tokyo-kevin-jackson-kyle-snyder/4940575001/

"I don't think I could have taken it any better. My only issue when it came to what happened at the trials was there were people who in the light of things, when things were all good, turned their backs, literally. I remember, especially, people within the USA Wrestling organization that I would try to talk to. ... I compartmentalize things. Wrestling politics was wrestling politics. And I can compartmentalize wrestling politics away from our friendship or bond.

But in that moment, when I'm coming in and I'm trying to chop it up and whatnot, and literally, you look at me in disgust and you walk away? Now it's personal. Now it's a problem. Now it's an issue. I've had talks with people that at that moment in time, when it came time for you to showcase everything that I was told and been preached to for the last four, five years about what that (USA Wrestling) emblem represents, in the moment when it came time for that to be shown, it wasn't.

And so that's where my issue came into play. Not wrestling, it's sucks. It's a disappointment. But also at the same time, I've never defined myself as a wrestler. And that was a sucky situation. I'm still going to grow, I'm still going to be myself. And I'm going to carry myself a certain way. But when it came down to how you treated me as a person, well, now that's something I can't forget."

This is a guy who is talking about specific people.