NJDan

A REAL World Championship

Wouldn't it be cool if they had a tournament where they invited the best 16 guys in the world at each weight regardless of nationality. Everyone knows that Russia generally has several guys in the top 10 at each weight. Sometimes Iran and the US have more than one. But whether it's the Olympics or the World Championships, a top country can only send one guy while other guys are there who probably don't belong. Other guys make the events by changing their nationality. Someone should set up a true best-in-the world event.

46 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Wouldn't it be cool if they had a tournament where they invited the best 16 guys in the world at each weight regardless of nationality. Everyone knows that Russia generally has several guys in the top 10 at each weight. Sometimes Iran and the US have more than one. But whether it's the Olympics or the World Championships, a top country can only send one guy while other guys are there who probably don't belong. Other guys make the events by changing their nationality. Someone should set up a true best-in-the world event.

Tbilisi 

I don't want to see a tournament where 74kg has 11 Russians, 4 Americans, an Italian, and a Slovakian(who is also a Russian).

I'd rather see us be allowed to enter up to three per weight class, providing the two 'extras' go through a qualification process as well.

If a country holds a national tournament that is viewed by the UWW as legitimate, then those wrestlers take up the country's qualification spot.  Let the other two wrestlers compete in a few different tournaments throughout the world, with a cap at three wrestlers per country.  There could be an Asian, European, and North American event that brings top four placers.  Each country could enter up to 3 or 4 extras, and not just two, in an attempt to grab the two more qualifications for their country.

Essentially every country can send their #1 to worlds.  Then there are 12 additional wrestlers allowed to attend that aren't the country's #1 wrestler.

Even in the Olympics each nation doesn't only send one 100 yard dash competitor in track and field, do they?

2 hours ago, NJDan said:

Look up the history of sports like athletics and swimming.  When 48 of the top 50 hammer throwers in the world were Soviets, or 9 of the top 10 in an individual swimming event were from the US, and the podium was often swept by a single country, things were changed.  Swimming used to allow three entrants per country per event, but they changed that to two so the medal ceremony didn't look like the US Olympic Trial medal ceremony.

Hammer throw in the 76, 80, 88, and 92 Olympics (84 was boycotted, 92 was a "unified" team) was swept by the Soviet Union.

On 5/8/2021 at 10:22 AM, NJDan said:

It’s called the Yarigan. 

On 5/8/2021 at 4:22 AM, NJDan said:

Maybe some sultan in Abu Dhabi or Flo wrestling can make this happen?

On 5/8/2021 at 9:22 AM, NJDan said:

You're describing a true 2nd best in the world event.  The best in the world already make the olympics and world championships.  Those tournaments are bad at figuring out who is 2nd and 3rd best, but they are very good at figuring out who is the best.  

On 5/8/2021 at 12:15 PM, klehner said:

Look up the history of sports like athletics and swimming.  When 48 of the top 50 hammer throwers in the world were Soviets, or 9 of the top 10 in an individual swimming event were from the US, and the podium was often swept by a single country, things were changed.  Swimming used to allow three entrants per country per event, but they changed that to two so the medal ceremony didn't look like the US Olympic Trial medal ceremony.

Hammer throw in the 76, 80, 88, and 92 Olympics (84 was boycotted, 92 was a "unified" team) was swept by the Soviet Union.

As a former swimmer I know the US never had 9 of the top 10 in any event, but I remember in 76 McDonalds ran a promotion where you would get a peel off game piece for an event. If the US won gold you got a burger, silver was fries and bronze was a drink. I got men's 200m butterfly. The US swept the podium and I got a whole meal. This happened more than once. It was fantastic.

Edit: I just looked it up and the US men also swept the 200 free, 100 butterfly, and 200 back. My favorite bit is that it was three other guys who swept the 100 fly.

I believe this was the last non-boycott ympics where they allowed three entrants per country, per event. Though I am not 100% on that.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

Really wish at least some multiple entries were allowed so Rostorotzky could have had a full career. Experienced soviet coaches said that the bout that ended his career was the highest level greco match of the 20th century.