Sign in to follow this  
lu1979

Russian Sergey Kozyrev

The Russian heavyweight S Kozyrev looked good at the last chance qualifier and he also looked good at the Euros until he ran into Taha in the finals.  He is very technical and has great motion for a heavyweight.  He also looks rather small compared to many other guys at the weight.  My WAG on his weight would be around 240 lbs..  He wrestled at 97 kg in 2020.   If anyone has more definitive info I would love to hear it.  He is probably one of the better guys who will be competing at the Olympics at 125 kg.  Having watched quite a few of his matches I think Gable will handle him if they meet up in Tokyo. 

Edited by lu1979

Wow 10th @ 97 to 1st @ 125 in a year. Will def keep my eye on this guy (...like you do with the Russian in any weight class). As usual, we want real heavyweight weights and they're nowhere to be found...

Re: Gable, I can't pick a first year world/Oly guy against Taha or Geno, who are all-time greats at this point. OTOH I wouldn't be surprised if he drilled on them like he did Gwiz. 

On the smaller side. Main accomplishments are winning Russian nationals and the silver at the euros (easy draw).  Hasn't done much before then. A treading water rep for Russia imo. He is a level below the big two and would be a good litmus test for Gable. 

15 hours ago, HawkY said:

On the smaller side. Main accomplishments are winning Russian nationals and the silver at the euros (easy draw).  Hasn't done much before then. A treading water rep for Russia imo. He is a level below the big two and would be a good litmus test for Gable. 

He was a Cadet just 3 years ago and won the youth Olympics over Amir Zare (Iran’s heavy) in 2018.

But yes, he’s below Akgul and Petriashvili but will challenge for a medal.

Top 5 at 125 in Tokyo are Akgul, Gable, Petriashvili, Kozyrev and Khramiankou.

1 hour ago, Jon_Kozak said:

He was a Cadet just 3 years ago and won the youth Olympics over Amir Zare (Iran’s heavy) in 2018.

But yes, he’s below Akgul and Petriashvili but will challenge for a medal.

Zare is very good

14 hours ago, Jon_Kozak said:

Zare is a junior world silver medalist and U23 world champion in the same year, with wins over Geno, Gwiz, Makhov and Hadi (all world medalists).

Not sure what Gable Kozyrev or Khramiankou have done to merit inclusion in your list at Zare's expense. 

52 minutes ago, The Genius said:

Zare is a junior world silver medalist and U23 world champion in the same year, with wins over Geno, Gwiz, Makhov and Hadi (all world medalists).

Not sure what Gable Kozyrev or Khramiankou have done to merit inclusion in your list at Zare's expense. 

Zare got that Jr Silver after being pinned by Mason Parris in short time.  Gable is undefeated against Parris (it has never been close) so there is that.

That being said I believe the top guys at 125 going into Tokyo are:

Taha & Geno - Tied at the top

Gable and Zare - Next tier - Both very young and capable of breaking through 

Kozyrev Rus, - Khramiankou Belarus - Deng China, & Batirmurzaev Kaz - Guys who could pull an upset or make a run to a medal w/ a good draw. 

Geno & Taha will be on opposite sides of the bracket w/ Gable and Zare (if he's Iran's guy)  being drawn in.so the luck of the draw could have a lot to do with who medals.  

4 hours ago, The Genius said:

Zare is definitely in that group. 

We're all including Gable because he's ascended to a level domestically the last year that far exceeds anything we've seen from any American heavyweight in many years. He smashed Parris 3 times recently and just handed Gwiz two of the worst losses of his career--and he's doing it with stunning takedowns that look like practice takedowns with no resistance. (And Gwiz has looked like medal-winning Gwiz, not out-of-shape Gwiz, recently in all other matches)

Gable will match up well with Kozyrev if they meet. He is used to wrestling against smaller heavyweights. Most of the giant athletic guys are snatched away by football before they can wrestle in college. 

15 hours ago, The Genius said:

Didn’t mean to exclude Zare-just a mistake on my part