spartak

Where is Mohammadian ?

@Mphillips the Polish event is also a ranking event for 2021. I mean it counts for both Olympic seeding and Worlds seeding (the only event with such a privilege)

https://uww.org/article/what-know-ranking-series-points-olympic-seeding-prize-money-and-2021-season

that means, if I'm not wrong seeding for Worlds will be based on this

1. 2021 Continental Championships
2. 2021 Italy Tournament (Matteo Pellicone)
3. 2021 Poland Tournament
4. 2021 Olympics

you can see the current seeding in the left side of UWW website where a guy from Palestine is leading the 57kg ! (thanks to the terrible ranking formula) results from the Poland event and (most probably) the Olympics will be added to that.

17 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

It makes no sense for him to go at 92.  All of the good guys around his size will be using this as a tune up for the Olympics and will be at either 97 or 86.  He might get one match if he competes at 92 in Poland.

No sense at all. Cox is highly likely to repeat at 92, especially this year with the potential of diluted competition, and seeding shouldn't matter in the least to a 2x reigning world champ. Therefore, he should bump to 97 and seek out Snyder, Sadulaev, Sharifov, Mohammadian, Shabani, etc in Poland.

30 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

No sense at all. Cox is highly likely to repeat at 92, especially this year with the potential of diluted competition, and seeding shouldn't matter in the least to a 2x reigning world champ. Therefore, he should bump to 97 and seek out Snyder, Sadulaev, Sharifov, Mohammadian, Shabani, etc in Poland.

100% 92 makes sense,  especially since he couldn't make 97 kg  last month.  Get some matches in at 92kg to see how he does with the weight.   It is also possible that the US may be able to not allow him to enter?  Can anyone verify whether USA Wrestling has the ability to control our entries?

Edited by AHamilton

If Cox is going to Poland at 92kg then I really hope Iran sends Ghasempour at 92kg too. I believe he would give Cox a real run for his money at the weight, would be a great match.

1 hour ago, AHamilton said:

100% 92 makes sense,  especially since he couldn't make 97 kg  last month.  Get some matches in at 92kg to see how he does with the weight.   It is also possible that the US may be able to not allow him to enter?  Can anyone verify whether USA Wrestling has the ability to control our entries?

It is my understanding that at a ranking event (which the Poland Tournament is) each country can only enter up to 3 per weight.  Still I wouldn't think that so many US guys want to go that they couldn't have room for Cox.

2 hours ago, bnwtwg said:

This 100%.  If he meant what he said on social media then the only way to make his point is to enter the 97 bracket with the guys above and come out on top.  Entering the Poland tournament at 92 is a cop out.

I am from Missouri, and have loved watching J'den since he was in high school, but this whole thing since the Olympic Trials has seemed very bizarre. I mean...doesn't make weight, then does make weight, only too late, coach takes the blame, files suit, drops suit and now is going back down 5 kg below where he missed weight when he has a chance to see the top guys in the weight he wanted to qualify for in the first place. And of course all of this was going down as the rumors flew on social media. Sheesh, I can't keep up. 

On a more serious note, I do have to think that USA Wrestling wouldn't exactly want him at 97 kg in Poland so close to the Olympics, and may be able to prevent it. I wouldn't know because I'm not in the know. If he wins or even beats Snyder, it looks bad on them, even though it shouldn't.  

Edited by steen-hooph
add detail

2 hours ago, lu1979 said:

It is my understanding that at a ranking event (which the Poland Tournament is) each country can only enter up to 3 per weight.  Still I wouldn't think that so many US guys want to go that they couldn't have room for Cox.

We have already decided our team.  Imagine Cox makes the finals taking 2nd,  but Snyder loses to Sharifov or someone similar... USA does not want to deal with non-team members taking away from the points of guys who made the team.

My guess is that they wisely told him that it is 92 or nothing.  I don't think you are going to see anyone other than our top guy at Olympic weights.

Edited by AHamilton

2 hours ago, AHamilton said:

We have already decided our team.  Imagine Cox makes the finals taking 2nd,  but Snyder loses to Sharifov or someone similar... USA does not want to deal with non-team members taking away from the points of guys who made the team.

My guess is that they wisely told him that it is 92 or nothing.  I don't think you are going to see anyone other than our top guy at Olympic weights.

If true, it's a stain on the competitive nature of USAW. I thought 'Murica is all about "may the best man win" and "we prove it on the mat, not the seeding meeting."

33 minutes ago, bnwtwg said:

If true, it's a stain on the competitive nature of USAW. I thought 'Murica is all about "may the best man win" and "we prove it on the mat, not the seeding meeting."

I think you want to get on the opposite side of the Tokyo bracket as Saduleev.  You're not paying for another rep to go over and harm your chances.  If he is taking USA money and wants to go, he can go at 92.

2 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

I think you want to get on the opposite side of the Tokyo bracket as Saduleev.  You're not paying for another rep to go over and harm your chances.  If he is taking USA money and wants to go, he can go at 92.

Do you think Snyder would have a problem with Cox entering the Poland tournament at 97?

Sending Cox at 92 is a waste of money.  He would already have one of the top 2 seeds, if not the top seed at 92.  Besides, no one good will be entering that tournament at a non-Olympic weight.

19 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

What if Cox provides his own funding? Is he allowed to sign up then?

1 hour ago, AHamilton said:

He can't even afford a Mizzou lawyer.  Sounds like scared money to me.

Cox should agree to wrestle at 92kg for the Poland tournament, miss weight again, and bump up to 97 since each country gets up to 3 entries.

6 hours ago, ShakaAloha said:

Cox should agree to wrestle at 92kg for the Poland tournament, miss weight again, and bump up to 97 since each country gets up to 3 entries.

Haha. This would be awesome. In all seriousness if Poland has the 3 top Iranians in Mohammadian, Shabani, Karimi. Sadulaev being there too as well as Cox and Snyder then you are talking about a much more competitive and exciting bracket than Tokyo.

On 5/11/2021 at 5:21 PM, AHamilton said:

Are you certain USAW controls domestic participation at events like Poland?  It makes sense that they do, but then you'd think they'd have nixed Yianni's 2019 Yassar participation (or whatever tournament it was where he beat Zain and Musukaev), no?

Edit: Nevermind, you pretty much already answered it.

Edited by whaletail

12 hours ago, whaletail said:

Are you certain USAW controls domestic participation at events like Poland?  It makes sense that they do, but then you'd think they'd have nixed Yianni's 2019 Yassar participation (or whatever tournament it was where he beat Zain and Musukaev), no?

Edit: Nevermind, you pretty much already answered it.

I was trying to get an answer myself, but my guess would be Yianni was allowed to attend because the court proceedings were still going on.

Bump this thread since he won Poland Open today and will likely rep Iran at Tokyo.

Interested to see some non-Iranian (non bias) opinions on him. He looks very impressive when he faces international competition.