portajohn

2021 Rumor Mill Tracker

15 hours ago, portajohn said:

Newest rumor out there is Rob Koll interviewed for the Stanford job

Looks like it’s been confirmed on that Cornell site that gets spammed here that he is “seriously considering it”

Has to be for a raise.  I would not look at the Stanford situation as exactly "stable" at the moment... especially with no recruiting class most of the team in the portal, and a potentially angry administration.

Who Qualifies. Almost half of all Stanford undergraduates receive need-based financial aid. Families earning less than $150,000 with assets typical of that income level pay no tuition. Families earning less than $75,000 with assets typical of that income level pay no tuition or room and board.

22 minutes ago, iGranby said:

What about that fatty endowment they secured? Plus, Koll's prowess in the administrative end of things. Honestly I think he might be ideal to try and stabilize things there. 

He might be ideal for the situation, but I would argue that it is not an ideal situation for Koll

Aside from money and the weather, the only major reason I could see Koll wanting to go there is so he doesn't have to deal with the Ivy restrictions. The inability to provide athletic scholarships and only 4 consecutive years of eligibility makes it difficult for Cornell to field as good of a team every year as Koll is capable of. He has even admitted that they are a program who can only have major success in select years (maybe I am phrasing that wrong, but he said something similar). Is that enough to draw him away from Cornell to Stanford? Probably not, but who knows. He has built a great program at Cornell and knows the ins and outs of managing the Ivy challenges. Last year's "free year" and the Olympic redshirts have obviously complicated the whole eligibility situation for the Ivies, but that's just a temporary thing.

Koll is Cornell through and through, has he been underpaid for his performance? probably. I’m guessing Cornell doesn’t pay him on par with what he has built in Ithaca, which is a program behind only the likes of Iowa and Penn State in terms of achievement.  

That said, some coaches come across as businessmen, administrators, stewards of the program first, and competitors second.  You need both to facets to be a successful coach.  Rob Koll strikes me as one of the most composed but competitive coaches in the NCAA.  He has a FAT roster at his disposal right now.  

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Looks like it’s been confirmed on that Cornell site that gets spammed here that he is “seriously considering it”

I haven't spammed it in quite some time, thank you -

2 hours ago, calot said:

Stanford scholarship situation isn't great either. I think they've under 5. 

OK, but Cornell is 0 and look what he and his AG have done with only regular financial aid, a prestigous education, and a strong wrestling culture and program.  

1 hour ago, Stl said:

Aside from money and the weather, the only major reason I could see Koll wanting to go there is so he doesn't have to deal with the Ivy restrictions. The inability to provide athletic scholarships and only 4 consecutive years of eligibility makes it difficult for Cornell to field as good of a team every year as Koll is capable of. He has even admitted that they are a program who can only have major success in select years (maybe I am phrasing that wrong, but he said something similar). Is that enough to draw him away from Cornell to Stanford? Probably not, but who knows. He has built a great program at Cornell and knows the ins and outs of managing the Ivy challenges. Last year's "free year" and the Olympic redshirts have obviously complicated the whole eligibility situation for the Ivies, but that's just a temporary thing.

Help me out here.  What's the thinking a recruit goes through that has them turning down Cornell?  "Hmm, they have a huge endowment that provides lots of need-based financial aid, I can take a cheap gap year and train with their guys if I want, and I come out with an Ivy League degree.  Nah, I'll go to <insert_state_school> instead."

10 minutes ago, klehner said:

Help me out here.  What's the thinking a recruit goes through that has them turning down Cornell?  "Hmm, they have a huge endowment that provides lots of need-based financial aid, I can take a cheap gap year and train with their guys if I want, and I come out with an Ivy League degree.  Nah, I'll go to <insert_state_school> instead."

Sure, here are a few off the top of my head.

1) They don't qualify for need-based financial aid.

2) They don't like the staff.

3) Their friends are elsewhere

4) They don't like the weather

5) They don't like the team

6) They are religious nuts who want to do what their coach tells them to do and beat the holy h3ll out of people.

7) They don't like the weather

8) They can only get admitted to the ag school, but they want to major in something not offered there.

9) They prefer a different team culture.

10) They want diversity on the team they are a part of.

4 hours ago, calot said:

Stanford scholarship situation isn't great either. I think they've under 5. 

Does this change with incoming money/endowment that was raised through the Keep Stanford Wrestling Campaign?  Can that money be used for scholarships or is it only for operating expenses?

4 hours ago, AHamilton said:

Has to be for a raise.  I would not look at the Stanford situation as exactly "stable" at the moment... especially with no recruiting class most of the team in the portal, and a potentially angry administration.

I don't know - I find it hard to believe this is just about money.  Alumni support in the recent past has been pretty strong - the head coach position is endowed, and they are just completing an expansion of the Friedman Wrestling Center. Support from the administration, however, may be less certain.  But I doubt less certain than at Stanford.

1 hour ago, klehner said:

I never said that a recruit wouldn't want to go to Cornell, I was strictly referring to a coach's perspective running a program and that an Ivy school has challenges that other schools do not.

There are tons of great reasons a wrestler would want to go to Cornell, and Koll has obviously done a great job pitching the whole picture to recruits over the years.

3 hours ago, Stl said:

The inability to provide athletic scholarships and only 4 consecutive years of eligibility makes it difficult for Cornell to field as good of a team every year as Koll is capable of. .

you also said this ^^

which is demonstrably false. 

46 minutes ago, Husker_Du said:

you also said this ^^

which is demonstrably false. 

It is demonstrably false that not having athletic scholarships makes recruiting even marginally more difficult? I don't think so