IronChef

Stanford Lawsuit

Looks like a group, including wrestlers, has sued Stanford over the dropping of the sport. Interestingly, this appears to be happening separate from the 36 Sports Strong group that has been working to save the teams. It sounds like their basis for suing is that the school was simultaneously encouraging the athletes to come to or stay at the school while planning to drop their sports, so they did not have the chance to evaluate their options appropriately and perhaps find opportunities at other schools. Fraud, intentional misrepresentation and breach of contract are alleged.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/05/12/athletes-sue-stanford-over-plan-to-eliminate-11-sports-by-end-of-school-year/

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/13/sports/stanford-sports-cuts-lawsuit.html

The lawyer for the athletes, Jeffrey Kessler, recently argued the NCAA vs. Alston case before the Supreme Court and is the go-to attorney for sports law cases. I'm not sure what their chances are on the merits of the case, and it could all become moot if the school reverses course in the coming weeks.

57 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Looks like a group, including wrestlers, has sued Stanford over the dropping of the sport. Interestingly, this appears to be happening separate from the 36 Sports Strong group that has been working to save the teams. It sounds like their basis for suing is that the school was simultaneously encouraging the athletes to come to or stay at the school while planning to drop their sports, so they did not have the chance to evaluate their options appropriately and perhaps find opportunities at other schools. Fraud, intentional misrepresentation and breach of contract are alleged.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/05/12/athletes-sue-stanford-over-plan-to-eliminate-11-sports-by-end-of-school-year/

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/13/sports/stanford-sports-cuts-lawsuit.html

The lawyer for the athletes, Jeffrey Kessler, recently argued the NCAA vs. Alston case before the Supreme Court and is the go-to attorney for sports law cases. I'm not sure what their chances are on the merits of the case, and it could all become moot if the school reverses course in the coming weeks.

Isn't Stanford an educational institution, weren't they going there to get an education?  ;_;

BTW: its stuff like this that just makes universities want to give up/eliminate non-revenue sports, why provide an opportunity if folks are going to sue you for providing such opportunity.  :(

Edited by ionel

20 minutes ago, ionel said:

Isn't Stanford and educational institution, weren't they going there to get an education?  ;_;

BTW: its stuff like this that just makes universities want to give up/eliminate non-revenue sports, why provide an opportunity if folks are going to sue you for providing such opportunity.  :(

They want to cut a sport because they’re getting sued for cutting that sport in the first place…

sigh

47 minutes ago, ionel said:

Isn't Stanford an educational institution, weren't they going there to get an education?  ;_;

if they are cutting the sport... they aren't providing said opportunity? 

1 hour ago, ionel said:

Long story short, they messed with the lives and future prospects for their students and their athletes.  Stanford is one of the largest and deepest athletic departments in the world and understands the premise of a career in sport, to the extent that they actively market themselves as a place where athletic elite come to further their pursuits of same.

If anyone hasn’t listened to the Jason Borelli interview about their negotiations with the AD, it is an important listen, and has a lot of the meat as to why their is potentially a very real real lawsuit here.  I hesitate to just say “Stanford” because it is clearly a specific subset of Administrators therein, but they were extremely disingenuous and repeatedly moved or intentionally misrepresented goalposts.  

And sure you can say a bunch about “being their for the education,” but the quality and experience of that education for the students is something of very real material importance and value.  Many of these athletes have basically gone through and completed a 4-year education in three or fewer years, which not only adds pressure to academics, it negatively impacts time for social interaction and athletic development.  Broad strokes, it is undue duress. 

Postponing and inhibiting development in areas outside academics, especially for those on scholarship, is materially damaging to everyone in the stanford wrestling program. They used COVID and COVID restrictions as ammunition and leverage to silence and shun and dissenters.  When you look at the profile if it top to bottom, it is extremely shady,  underhanded and bad faith. 

Canceling/downgrading the program isn’t the problem, it’s attempting to leverage COVID for ulterior motives that is the problem.  If I had to bet, I’d say they got caught red-handed at exactly that, and had to backpedal, hence the year+ of non-committal shenanigans.  The discussion now within stanford is likely twofold, do we keep these sports? And do we have to fire any administrators to protect the institution?

Edited by Drew87

12 minutes ago, ionel said:

If you go to USC and it rains, can you sue? If you go to Cornell and the sun shines, can you sue?  I should've sued cause the university didn't have my favorite sport.  ;_;

If USC recruited you with the promise that it never rains...

The claim here is that the school knew they were going to eliminate these programs all while sending their agents out to recruit students to pay money to the school for the opportunity to compete in these programs. 

19 minutes ago, ionel said:

If you go to USC and it rains, can you sue? If you go to Cornell and the sun shines, can you sue?  I should've sued cause the university didn't have my favorite sport.  ;_;

yes you are obtuse 

24 minutes ago, ionel said:

Dude I’ll be the first to go on about how wrestling coaches need to be more politically astute and not just blow off the way people outside the sport look at it… but you are being obtuse 

9 minutes ago, jp157 said:

Dude I’ll be the first to go on about how wrestling coaches need to be more politically astute and not just blow off the way people outside the sport look at it… but you are being obtuse 

also, i dont think its just wrestlers who are suing...

47 minutes ago, ionel said:

My grandfather should have sued the Navy, War Department and U. S. Government.

He was a blue-water sailor that got stuck in the Philippines in 1941, was handed a Springfield 1903 and told to defend until relieved.

In April '42 he, along with thousands of USN, US Army, US Marines and Filipino troops became guests of His Imperial Majesty and the IJA.

As a swabbie officer, he was never told he'd be acting in a psuedo Grunt capacity fighting on terra firma. 

7 minutes ago, PSUSMC said:

My grandfather should have sued the Navy, War Department and U. S. Government.

He was a blue-water sailor that got stuck in the Philippines in 1941, was handed a Springfield 1903 and told to defend until relieved.

In April '42 he, along with thousands of USN, US Army, US Marines and Filipino troops became guests of His Imperial Majesty and the IJA.

As a swabbie officer, he was never told he'd be acting in a psuedo Grunt capacity fighting on terra firma. 

so we should give them rifles and take over the athletic dept? 

1 hour ago, ionel said:

You are being what many back in the day would refer to as a butt munch.

4 hours ago, ionel said:

They aren't being sued for providing an opportunity.  They are explicitly being sued for not providing the opportunity after saying they intended to.  I have no idea if the suit is merited or if it will succeed, but you have misrepresented it to an alarming degree.

16 minutes ago, Idaho said:

I'm assuming that at the dropping of the programs that any kids on scholarship for that program continued to get the scholarship.... or is that not the case? 

I don’t know how it could, if they get downgraded to club the teams no longer get their scholarships.

Ostensibly any non-athletic aid would stay, assuming GPA hurdles are met etc, but that’s specific to each student.

1 minute ago, Drew87 said:

I don’t know how it could, if they get downgraded to club the teams no longer get their scholarships.

Ostensibly any non-athletic aid would stay, assuming GPA hurdles are met etc, but that’s specific to each student.

When other programs were cut (i.e. BSU) they honored the scholarships for their remaining years... which was the right thing to do and not end up with a .... lawsuit. 

2 minutes ago, Idaho said:

When other programs were cut (i.e. BSU) they honored the scholarships for their remaining years... which was the right thing to do and not end up with a .... lawsuit. 

Yes it would be...oops!

I must admit to being rather pleased that a lawsuit is getting filed after all this nonsense.