IronChef

Stanford Lawsuit

I don’t know how it could, if they get downgraded to club the teams no longer get their scholarships.
Ostensibly any non-athletic aid would stay, assuming GPA hurdles are met etc, but that’s specific to each student.

Schools can give scholarships for anything they want. The NCAA is who puts limits on it. If Stanford wants to give non-varsity athletes money, that's entirely up to them. Nothing says club athletes can't get money.

3 hours ago, PSUSMC said:

My grandfather should have sued the Navy, War Department and U. S. Government.

He was a blue-water sailor that got stuck in the Philippines in 1941, was handed a Springfield 1903 and told to defend until relieved.

In April '42 he, along with thousands of USN, US Army, US Marines and Filipino troops became guests of His Imperial Majesty and the IJA.

As a swabbie officer, he was never told he'd be acting in a psuedo Grunt capacity fighting on terra firma. 

My grandfather was a tank commander in the Battle of the Bulge. Had his tank, "shot out from under him" as he told it.

He was hidden in someone's basement or cellar for some time and the War Dept. told my grandmother he was MIA.

He was able to get away or was 'liberated'.  Made it home safe and carved out a space in time.

Your grandfather was a badass, but these guys aren't those guys.

37 minutes ago, Mphillips said:

My grandfather was a tank commander in the Battle of the Bulge. Had his tank, "shot out from under him" as he told it.

He was hidden in someone's basement or cellar for some time and the War Dept. told my grandmother he was MIA.

He was able to get away or was 'liberated'.  Made it home safe and carved out a space in time.

Your grandfather was a badass, but these guys aren't those guys.

These two examples also have nothing to do with this situation...

5 hours ago, Idaho said:

I'm assuming that at the dropping of the programs that any kids on scholarship for that program continued to get the scholarship.... or is that not the case? 

Do we know how many wrestling scholarships Stanford even had?  We know the statement said they don't have "a full complement," but not sure what that means.

13 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Do we know how many wrestling scholarships Stanford even had?  We know the statement said they don't have "a full complement," but not sure what that means.

I thought I had read the equivalent of 5.5  or 6.5  - but I can't confirm if that is correct or how the money was split up. 

23 hours ago, ionel said:

BTW: its stuff like this that just makes universities want to give up/eliminate non-revenue sports, why provide an opportunity if folks are going to sue you for providing such opportunity.  :(

Like women's sports?