Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bronco

Arizona State 2021 recruiting class ranked # 2 (behind Penn State)

Recommended Posts

According to this article on the ASU wrestling website Intermat has ranked ASU's 2021 recruiting class # 2 in the nation behind only Penn State.

Also noticed that - according to this article - Fresno State transfer Kyle Parco is listed as 149 lbs (not 141 lbs).

https://thesundevils.com/news/2021/5/12/wrestling-off-season-chess-moves-gain-three-for-2021-22.aspx

So the probable lineup for ASU for 2022 would appear to me to be:

125 - Courtney

133 - McGee

141 - Vasquez

149 - Parco

157 - Teemer

165 - A. Valencia

174 - Munoz

184 - Belshay (if he is returning)

197 - Norfleet

285 - Schultz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m sure he is listed at 149 because that’s where he ended the season. I wouldnt consider that in stone. Great looking lineup. Hopefully get a transfer in to fill in the hole at 184. Would be surprised to see Munoz at 184. Still hoping Coleman can contribute something. 

Edited by gobraves101905

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

That’s a tough one. Chlebove has been wrestling good in freestyle since the season. Remember, Vasquez still has a RS to use also. 

True on paper - but I'm not sure how many guys will be taking 2 years to stay out of the lineup rather than just saving the official RS year for down the road if needed. It will be interesting to see what happens given the Chlebove/Lipari situation last season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, gobraves101905 said:

That’s a tough one. Chlebove has been wrestling good in freestyle since the season. Remember, Vasquez still has a RS to use also. 

Vasquez - as far as I can see - used his RS year in 2021.  Here are his listed results from WrestleStat and none of these matches were varsity dual matches (and no tournaments either of course).  All of his matches in 2021 were "Extra", matches.   Notice also that he competed at 149 lbs collegiately yet just a week or so ago he competed at 134 lbs.  So it would appear that he was giving up some weight when he competed at 149 lbs.

2021 Season

Video Opponent School Date Event Weight W/L By How
  #147 Fox, Gable (3 - 2) #22 Northern Iowa 02/14 Arizona State Northern Iowa Extra 149 W DEC 8 - 1
  #129 Robinson, Cameron (6 - 1) #9 Iowa State 02/14 Iowa State Arizona State Extra 149 L MD 17 - 3
  #122 Gioffre, Logan (7 - 3) #44 Cal Poly 02/11 Arizona State Cal Poly Extra 149 L DEC 7 - 6
  #128 Carr, Warren (3 - 5) #16 Wyoming 02/06 Arizona State Wyoming Extra 149 W FALL 4:03
  #172 Picklo, Cam (1 - 3) #18 Oklahoma 01/08 ASU Oklahoma Extra 149 W SV-1 7 - 5
  #164 Bianchi, Joseph (4 - 9) #67 Little Rock 01/02 Arizona State Little Rock Extra Matches 149 W DEC 12 - 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bronco said:

Vasquez - as far as I can see - used his RS year in 2021.  Here are his listed results from WrestleStat and none of these matches were varsity dual matches (and no tournaments either of course).  All of his matches in 2021 were "Extra", matches.   Notice also that he competed at 149 lbs collegiately yet just a week or so ago he competed at 134 lbs.  So it would appear that he was giving up some weight when he competed at 149 lbs.

2021 Season

Video Opponent School Date Event Weight W/L By How
  #147 Fox, Gable (3 - 2) #22 Northern Iowa 02/14 Arizona State Northern Iowa Extra 149 W DEC 8 - 1
  #129 Robinson, Cameron (6 - 1) #9 Iowa State 02/14 Iowa State Arizona State Extra 149 L MD 17 - 3
  #122 Gioffre, Logan (7 - 3) #44 Cal Poly 02/11 Arizona State Cal Poly Extra 149 L DEC 7 - 6
  #128 Carr, Warren (3 - 5) #16 Wyoming 02/06 Arizona State Wyoming Extra 149 W FALL 4:03
  #172 Picklo, Cam (1 - 3) #18 Oklahoma 01/08 ASU Oklahoma Extra 149 W SV-1 7 - 5
  #164 Bianchi, Joseph (4 - 9) #67 Little Rock 01/02 Arizona State Little Rock Extra Matches 149 W DEC 12 - 6

2021was a free year. No RS needed. 
Also note Chlebove wrestling at 61kg. I always thought he was small and giving up weight at 141. 

Edited by gobraves101905

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of the Title subject - I believe I would rate ASU's class above PSU's as long as Parco is considered part of this class.  ASU has 

Richie Figueroa - 125

Cael Valencia - 165/174

Carter Dibert - 125/133

Max Wilner - 174/184

Parco - 141/149 - 4 years left AA6 @ 149  plus

C O'Hara - 125, R Ramos - 141, J Powell - 149

 

vs PSU 

A Facundo - 165/174

S Van Ness - 149/157

G Steen - 125

M Dean - 184/197 2 years left @X AA 2/8 - In Weights with good returners plus

L Cochran - 184

 

I consider the incoming High school guys very close in ability and I would rate Parco a much better recruit in terms of how he addresses a need for ASU vs Dean who is coming into a crowded area where he will be a minor upgrade at best and conceivably a backup for 2 years.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2021 at 1:22 PM, gobraves101905 said:

2021was a free year. No RS needed. 
Also note Chlebove wrestling at 61kg. I always thought he was small and giving up weight at 141. 

He was redshirted last season nonetheless.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/16/2021 at 3:38 PM, Bronco said:

Vasquez - as far as I can see - used his RS year in 2021.  Here are his listed results from WrestleStat and none of these matches were varsity dual matches (and no tournaments either of course).  All of his matches in 2021 were "Extra", matches.   Notice also that he competed at 149 lbs collegiately yet just a week or so ago he competed at 134 lbs.  So it would appear that he was giving up some weight when he competed at 149 lbs.

2021 Season

Video Opponent School Date Event Weight W/L By How
  #147 Fox, Gable (3 - 2) #22 Northern Iowa 02/14 Arizona State Northern Iowa Extra 149 W DEC 8 - 1
  #129 Robinson, Cameron (6 - 1) #9 Iowa State 02/14 Iowa State Arizona State Extra 149 L MD 17 - 3
  #122 Gioffre, Logan (7 - 3) #44 Cal Poly 02/11 Arizona State Cal Poly Extra 149 L DEC 7 - 6
  #128 Carr, Warren (3 - 5) #16 Wyoming 02/06 Arizona State Wyoming Extra 149 W FALL 4:03
  #172 Picklo, Cam (1 - 3) #18 Oklahoma 01/08 ASU Oklahoma Extra 149 W SV-1 7 - 5
  #164 Bianchi, Joseph (4 - 9) #67 Little Rock 01/02 Arizona State Little Rock Extra Matches 149 W DEC 12 - 6

Judging by that record against a bunch of scrubs, Vasquez is little more than  a practice dummy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TobusRex said:

Judging by that record against a bunch of scrubs, Vasquez is little more than  a practice dummy. 

FWIW, all results are at 149, and he was up 6-1 vs Gioffre and got over aggressive on a turn late and gave up 6. Also got hurt early in the match against Robinson if I remember correctly. While the results aren't good, and his stock is very down at this point, I still expect him to be NCAA qualifier level at 141.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, RegularStalling said:

FWIW, all results are at 149, and he was up 6-1 vs Gioffre and got over aggressive on a turn late and gave up 6. Also got hurt early in the match against Robinson if I remember correctly. While the results aren't good, and his stock is very down at this point, I still expect him to be NCAA qualifier level at 141.

Sometimes guys improve a lot between seasons, so you may be right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Little bit under the radar, but apparently #66 on Willie's 2022 big board, Kaleb Larkin committed to ASU. Beat Josh Saunders at Jr nationals a couple weeks back. Another guy in the 149/157 range. I would expect one of him or Kilic to man the 157 spot for the foreseeable future.

Chlebove, Vasquez, Ramos, Parco, Kilic, Larkin. six high level recruits for likely three weights. Only one I see as a guarantee at this point is Parco. Interested to see how it plays out!

Edited by RegularStalling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RegularStalling said:

Little bit under the radar, but apparently #66 on Willie's 2022 big board, Kaleb Larkin committed to ASU. Beat Josh Saunders at Jr nationals a couple weeks back. Another guy in the 149/157 range. I would expect one of him or Kilic to man the 157 spot for the foreseeable future.

Chlebove, Vasquez, Ramos, Parco, Kilic, Larkin. six high level recruits for likely three weights. Only one I see as a guarantee at this point is Parco. Interested to see how it plays out!

Really glad to see this. ASU needs to keep the states best wrestlers. Great legacy signing. Eric was one of the best in school history. 
 

I see that list of wrestlers filling out 3 weight classes, 141-157. Maybe even Larkin pushing up to 165 eventually. 

Edited by gobraves101905

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...