I was a little surprised no one has posted on this (that I've seen here).
https://www.tpgilman.com/blog

Flo talked a little about this the other day but were pretty understated about it, noting that Gilman's post was cryptic and encouraging people to read it for themselves.  He titled the post, "Alcoholics Anonymous, " and explicitly compared himself to an AA member.  "Much like the addict, my journey to God and healing on all planes, of this world and the next, has been the work of His creation."  

He says, without much detail, that he went to L.A. to mentally and spiritually cleanse himself, and found God and an emotional center of sorts.  He seems to be saying that the foot injury was subordinate to and a manifestation of a spiritual hole which he has filled.

Like Flo I should not get too deep into it and instead encourage people to read it themselves.  He's obviously, love him or hate him,, an extraordinarily intense guy with a restless, active mind.  His post that is ultimately about recognizing and addressing his own frailty was pretty interesting to see from such an alpha guy.  

15 minutes ago, drag it said:

Flo talked a little about this the other day but were pretty understated about it, noting that Gilman's post was cryptic and encouraging people to read it for themselves.  He titled the post, "Alcoholics Anonymous, " and explicitly compared himself to an AA member.  "Much like the addict, my journey to God and healing on all planes, of this world and the next, has been the work of His creation."  

He says, without much detail, that he went to L.A. to mentally and spiritually cleanse himself, and found God and an emotional center of sorts.  He seems to be saying that the foot injury was subordinate to and a manifestation of a spiritual hole which he has filled.

Like Flo I should not get too deep into it and instead encourage people to read it themselves.  He's obviously, love him or hate him,, an extraordinarily intense guy with a restless, active mind.  His post that is ultimately about recognizing and addressing his own frailty was pretty interesting to see from such an alpha guy.  

Often I bash flo, but it sounds like they didn't mention it because it wasn't wrestling related, so they behaved appropriately.

Meh if he's a drunk.... Drinking less does tend to yield better world level results... But I just got to town and got drunk so who am I to speak

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask Frank Rizzo because he knows more than me.

So he credits everything to God. Really original.  
Ok now that I'm more sober....
This was abundantly clear last interview of his I saw...
But honestly I'm glad he's living a more "wrestling friendly" life.
If he wants to credit it to Qdoba thats fine by me...
Dake has science/nature
Penn State has religion
Gable has hard work

Hope we win some medals

If I need to know anything about wrestling or sports, I ask Frank Rizzo because he knows more than me.

14 hours ago, drag it said:

Whole lot of words to basically say nothing lol. 

In summary, "I went to LA to get my foot fixed and took the time to recenter myself mentally."

To me, the cringiest part of Gilman has never been the on the mat antics. It's when he tries to be poetic/philosophical. He's not as smart as he thinks he is. 

2 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

In summary, "I went to LA to get my foot fixed and took the time to recenter myself mentally."

To me, the cringiest part of Gilman has never been the on the mat antics. It's when he tries to be poetic/philosophical. He's not as smart as he thinks he is. 

gilman is smarter than most...

most just do not like the horse he rides in on...

it's pretty typical...

2 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

You say this because of how he talks on a 700-word blog post? Or his social media posts? Or his interviews? The man isn’t dropping a thesis or starting a fitness motivation channel, he’s talking out loud, God forbid

20 minutes ago, moodybooty said:

You say this because of how he talks on a 700-word blog post? Or his social media posts? Or his interviews? The man isn’t dropping a thesis or starting a fitness motivation channel, he’s talking out loud, God forbid

From following his career as a hawkeye fan for the last 8 years.

I honestly didn't know Gilman was capable of writing something like this.

Guys, just read it.  You'll come out of it with more respect for him.  At the very least you'll see he's much more intelligent than he leads folks on to be, with his short-fused and hot headed outbursts in the past.

11 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I honestly didn't know Gilman was capable of writing something like this.

Guys, just read it.  You'll come out of it with more respect for him.  At the very least you'll see he's much more intelligent than he leads folks on to be, with his short-fused and hot headed outbursts in the past.

Really?  I do think he's probably "more intelligent than he leads folk on to be," but this blog post isn't why.  Anyone with a college degree (or HS diploma) should be able to write a few coherent paragraphs.

1 minute ago, 1032004 said:

Really?  I do think he's probably "more intelligent than he leads folk on to be," but this blog post isn't why.  Anyone with a college degree (or HS diploma) should be able to write a few coherent paragraphs.

Seriously. Has the bar fallen so low that people are mesmerized by 3 paragraphs with complete sentences??? 3 paragraphs with almost no content? I mean all he says is that he thinks god gave him a foot injury as a sign of a deeper spiritual problem, which...if that's the way you see the world, fine, but it's certainly not special. It's just "everything happens for a reason" thinking.

24 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Seriously. Has the bar fallen so low that people are mesmerized by 3 paragraphs with complete sentences??? 3 paragraphs with almost no content? I mean all he says is that he thinks god gave him a foot injury as a sign of a deeper spiritual problem, which...if that's the way you see the world, fine, but it's certainly not special. It's just "everything happens for a reason" thinking.

well, clearly something has fallen so low that some anonymous internet guy feels the need to denigrate a world class athlete after 3 paragraphs with complete sentences...

i'll let the rest decide which is more of an indicator of where are society has been heading...

37 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

God gave him a foot injury? No, if God wanted to get Gilman's attention, he'd punch him in the nuts or slap him upside his head. God does not work through foot injuries. Never has; never will.

i do love how someone is arrogant enough to think they can speak with certainty about how any god would choose to work...

Odin is laughing right now at the hairless monkey's and their ill conceived self importance...

I'm not a Gilman fan and I don't think he is particularly intelligent, but he's got an active, intense, and restless mind and is very curious, and I think that it works for him.  And I found it interesting that such a testosteroney guy would write something that vulnerable.  That doesn't make him Socrates, but it adds some nuance to the guy who went nuts on Waters, Picc, a random booster, etc., etc.

I read the blog, and I find nothing to complain about.  His belief in God does not harm anyone else.  In fact, it seems to have helped him find focus and peace.  There is nothing wrong with that.  In fact, there is everything right with finding peace and focus. 

mspart

I find it amazing that people think they know someone because they watched him wrestle, watched a few interviews, and/or read a blog.  Unless any of you have personal first hand knowledge of who he truly is in person and what truly is in his heart, y'all should shut your yappers.

I have a feeling people are "triggered" by him because he mentioned...uh oh...God!  Still don't get the outward negative response this causes in people...if you don't believe in God...GOOD FOR YOU...why does it bother you that someone else does??  And if it does, it sure says a lot more about who YOU are as a person than the person who believes in God...or any higher power for that matter.

6 minutes ago, dman115 said:

I find it amazing that people think they know someone because they watched him wrestle, watched a few interviews, and/or read a blog.  Unless any of you have personal first hand knowledge of who he truly is in person and what truly is in his heart, y'all should shut your yappers.

I have a feeling people are "triggered" by him because he mentioned...uh oh...God!  Still don't get the outward negative response this causes in people...if you don't believe in God...GOOD FOR YOU...why does it bother you that someone else does??  And if it does, it sure says a lot more about who YOU are as a person than the person who believes in God...or any higher power for that matter.

Did he ever mention God before a year ago though (serious question, I don't know)? 

2 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Cringiest? That is an ironic adjective for you to use sir...

Unless you’ve met and spoken with him for an extended period of time, his journal entry, which was likely motivated by a religious mentor, is not going to be anybody’s high water mark for the narrow brackets of “intelligence” you are trying to squeeze a person through. Religious speech is necessarily accessible for the masses.  

I also doubt Gilman knew or cared that such esteemed scholars would be critiquing his writings.

Edited by Drew87