2 hours ago, Crotalus said:

I say this as a smaller guy myself, but Gilman is as alpha as a chihuahua.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

praise Odin, i do love this place...

it never fails that when something is going down, i can always come here and read some post by anonymous internet eggs and giggle my cares away...

i thank each and every one of you...

20 hours ago, LJB said:

i do love how someone is arrogant enough to think they can speak with certainty about how any god would choose to work...

Odin is laughing right now at the hairless monkey's and their ill conceived self importance...

I agree with this. 

This is my opinion, but I believe Gilman isn't being philosophical, trying to show you how smart he is, or trying to win you over to him. 

He is witnessing. To me it looks like he is using his own experience to try to win people to Christ, not to Thomas Gilman. If someone saw another motive, I believe they missed the point of the blog post. Most of the writing in the blog is based in scriptural example. He is telling us to listen for God, because He doesn't always work in obvious ways. There are numerous stories in the Bible of people straying from God and returning after hardship. I thought his comment about the foot merely being a symptom of his bigger problem made it pretty clear.  

The being silent/meditating and listening for the word of God is common advice given by pastors. 

I don't know Thomas Gilman, and I don't know how smart he is or if I would like him if I met him. The blog post is about him, but clearly only as a device to allow the reader to see the bigger message. My $.02.

Edited by steen-hooph
left out word

FFS...

gilman is 26 years old and clearly still figuring things out for himself personally... 

that is not unusual at all...

i would hazard to guess there is possibly 2 posters on this bbs who are not currently still trying to do the same no matter what anonymous persona is desperately trying to be pushed on here...

23 minutes ago, LJB said:

FFS...

gilman is 26 years old and clearly still figuring things out for himself personally... 

i would hazard to guess there is possibly 2 posters on this bbs who are not currently still trying to do the same no matter what anonymous persona is desperately trying to be pushed on here...

Tell ‘em LJB

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

I really want to know if Gilman talked much about God when he was at Iowa.

It's not like Iowa guys don't feel strongly about God too, you have guys like Marinelli who were "Jesus Trained"

I believe that was the underlying point of the blog post.  Not all messages are delivered and received in a linear correlation to what seems to be common sense.

5 hours ago, olddirty said:

I believe that was the underlying point of the blog post.  Not all messages are delivered and received in a linear correlation to what seems to be common sense.

sorry, what do you believe was the point? 

7 hours ago, LJB said:

FFS...

You're right.  It's apparently not unusual for people to go to State College and become devout Christians.

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

sorry, what do you believe was the point? 

7 hours ago, olddirty said:

Maybe he has been watching alot Quentin Tarantino movies.  

2 hours ago, 1032004 said:

You're right.  It's apparently not unusual for people to go to State College and become devout Christians.

I legitimately believe religion is a big part of their sports psychology in that room.

17 hours ago, steen-hooph said:

This is my opinion, but I believe Gilman isn't being philosophical, trying to show you how smart he is, or trying to win you over to him. 

He is witnessing. To me it looks like he is using his own experience to try to win people to Christ, not to Thomas Gilman. If someone saw another motive, I believe they missed the point of the blog post. Most of the writing in the blog is based in scriptural example. He is telling us to listen for God, because He doesn't always work in obvious ways. There are numerous stories in the Bible of people straying from God and returning after hardship. I thought his comment about the foot merely being a symptom of his bigger problem made it pretty clear.  

The being silent/meditating and listening for the word of God is common advice given by pastors. 

I don't know Thomas Gilman, and I don't know how smart he is or if I would like him if I met him. The blog post is about him, but clearly only as a device to allow the reader to see the bigger message. My $.02.

Can i get a ... oh wait.

4 hours ago, Drew87 said:

I legitimately believe religion is a big part of their sports psychology in that room.

Makes sense. One less thing to worry about. I mean, when you aren't distracted by that void looking back at you, it frees up a lot of time to play around w/ winn dixies and have fun.

On 5/17/2021 at 7:32 PM, jp157 said:

Why does every little “atheist” pretend they’re Sam Harris. Sigh. 

You can tell a lot about a person's faith by which folks they identify as the advesaries of it. Sam Harris? The New (read "Tiresome") Athiests? You're sweating the scientism? Sheeet, you better deal with the  visionaries in your own camp, those wierdos regrouping around Anslem's ontological argument.

Edited by jackwebster

9 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Maybe, maybe not. Recently it's not been unusual for devout Christians to go to State College. They seem to be really good at wrestling also. 

2 hours ago, jackwebster said:

You can tell a lot about a person's faith by which folks they identify as the advesaries of it. Sam Harris? The New (read "Tiresome") Athiests? You're sweating the scientism? Sheeet, you better deal with the  visionaries in your own camp, those wierdos regrouping around Anslem's ontological argument.

Not personally religious. I just get irritated at the faux intellectualism I see from some people. 

I actually grew up up around the the fundamentalist crowd in a very catholic area. I have person disgust and distain for the bad aspects of religion and it’s institutions that can only come from having lived around it 

The science doesn’t scare me the way it does many of my family. Take your attempt to be a philosophaboo to someone else 

1 hour ago, jp157 said:

Not personally religious. I just get irritated at the faux intellectualism I see from some people. 

I actually grew up up around the the fundamentalist crowd in a very catholic area. I have person disgust and distain for the bad aspects of religion and it’s institutions that can only come from having lived around it 

The science doesn’t scare me the way it does many of my family. Take your attempt to be a philosophaboo to someone else 

I think it's a little weird that you equate all atheists with Sam Harris. Dude's a moron lol. Poster boy for faux intellectualism. Atheism isn't a major part of my worldview. Hell, I don't even know if I'm an atheist. I don't really ever think about it. I do love a lot of religious art.

3ab8064801538ac45ac5cfde5004c853.gif

Edited by uncle bernard

1 minute ago, uncle bernard said:

I think it's a little weird that you equate all atheists with Sam Harris. Dude's a moron lol. Poster boy for faux intellectualism. Atheism isn't a major part of my worldview. Hell, I don't even know if I'm an atheist. I don't really ever think about it. I do love a lot of religious art.

Lol

3 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

sam harris is a moron now?

you are batting 1.000, sparky!!!!!

got the simulation all figured out...

if only we could all be so sentient...

12 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

This seems about right to me (though, I would not call Harris a "moron"). There's a tendency to equate atheism with scientism. Athiesm is a big tent.

1 hour ago, jp157 said:

My bad. Let me rephrase: Evangelicals should be more worried about other Christians, like the Derrida-inspired catholics regrouping around Anslem's ontological argument. 

Edited by jackwebster

I think it is every persons right to believe what they want...if you want to be an atheist, then be an atheist...if you want to believe in a higher power, than believe in a higher power.  Leave the judging of others at the door...as those who judge others are neither an atheist nor a believer, but rather just an A**hole.