uncle bernard

Stanford Not Cutting Sports

1 minute ago, uncle bernard said:

Same. Now what happens with guys like Griffith, Woods, and Abas? And their coach already left. I never even considered this a possibility.

Certainly muddles things up quite a bit..if Griffith and woods do graduate do they leave anyways to pursue a masters somewhere else? I'm guessing the coach isn't making a return.

I'm glad it's not getting cut, but what a bunch of pricks. The program has been gutted-no coach, wrestlers are gone, gonna have to start from scratch. Then in a few years when they are still trying to build it back up they'll cut it again and cite lack of competitiveness as the reason. 

Edited by crossface21

9 minutes ago, crossface21 said:

I'm glad it's not getting cut, but what a bunch of pricks. The program has been gutted-no coach, wrestlers, are gone, gonna have to start from scratch. Then in a few years when they are still trying to build it back up they'll cut it again and cite lack of competitiveness as the reason. 

Wish I didn't have to "like" this post to agree with it.

Sadly, the next time Stanford wants to cut wrestling and the other sports, they'll have their ducks in a row.

Understandably a lot of pessimism here regarding the future of the program. A few things though. Ray Blake and Alex Tirapelle are incredibly capable and have been heavily involved in the recent on the mat success of the program. They more than capable of leading the program, and I'm sure they will do so successfully. Secondly, I'm sure the program is being brought back with the idea that it will be self-funded. Based upon the the amount of money raised, the program shouldn't be in danger any time soon. Lastly, I truly don't believe they'll be "gutted". Yes, I'm sure Griffith and or Woods will leave, but it seems at the least Jaden Abas and a few other quality wrestlers will stick around. Abas alone is a solid building block to build around for the next 3-4 years. With that being said, hopefully after a couple years the program will be able to regain footing recruiting wise, and will get back to where it was before this garbage happened.  

Edited by RegularStalling

This is a huge deal, and while it is brutal what has happened to this program and the athletes...

1) Program is still around, big win

2) These athletes have been through a lot, but have been standup individuals and hopefully will find this valuable in the future

3) This does not kill or stop the lawsuit, and I would venture that there was enough misconduct on the part of the athletic department and administration that there are real legal grievances here.

3 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

so is Stanford getting a women's team?

Hope so, they should, best possible bulletproofing measure for wrestling is to be as inclusive collegiately as possible.

48 minutes ago, Perry said:

Certainly muddles things up quite a bit..if Griffith and woods do graduate do they leave anyways to pursue a masters somewhere else? I'm guessing the coach isn't making a return.

Is Blake still there or is Tirapelle option for head coach? 

What happens to all the money pledged by people over the past year? Will it be collected? Who gets it if it is?

Does the fact that a women's team is not being added matter? From the Keep Stanford Wrestling pledge page:

"By making a pledge, you commit the amount of your choosing to an endowment for Stanford Wrestling once the following stipulations have been met:

Formal confirmation from the Athletic Department that Stanford Wrestling will continue as a varsity sport, to include plans for the addition of women.

The creation of an endowment specifically for Stanford Wrestling."

Very cool.... Same question as others... do these guys wait for the new coach or head out of town?  Whatever the case there is a sense of starting over...but since it's Stanford it will have a draw 

5 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I think I speak for the entire wrestling world when I say I'm glad this may stop Penn State from getting Shane Griffith.

I'm with you on that, but word is his plan was to leave Stanford regardless of the outcome on Stanford's program

25 minutes ago, VakAttack said:

I think I speak for the entire wrestling world when I say I'm glad this may stop Penn State from getting Shane Griffith.

Maybe he can just stick around, graduate, and get a Masters from Stanford with his remaining eligibility.  That would definitely not suck.