uncle bernard

Stanford Not Cutting Sports

4 hours ago, Drew87 said:

Hope so, they should, best possible bulletproofing measure for wrestling is to be as inclusive collegiately as possible.

Yeah, it's certainly worked for gymnastics. 

1 hour ago, Henry said:

Yeah, it's certainly worked for gymnastics. 

I had an athlete whose sister was a gymnast at NC State.  Family was very into gymnastics.  Dad told me that women's college gymnastics is suffering because of the lack of men's programs! Apparently there aren't people in practice who are physically strong enough to be trusted spotters on some difficult and dangerous maneuvers. (this was 20 years ago, but I can imagine the situation has only gotten worse?)

Edited by AHamilton

The idea that Stanford was cutting these sports due to financial reasons is laughable.  It was the bad press and the threat of lawsuits that finally got to them.

Good.  It was a powerful wake-up call.

What we know:

Individual sports don't have to generate profits to be an important part of an athletic program.

Stores don't make money off of everything for sale in their stores. 

Sometimes the loss-leaders get you to walk in the  building.

So it is with colleges and universities. 

A school is selling the whole package.

People are attracted to excellence.

Stanford has a great legacy of high-level performance academics and athletics.

May they now continue.

Edited by TheOhioState

A.  I think it's great that the Ivory Tower academic nitwits in charge at Stanford have chosen to reverse their asinine decision (made TEN MONTHS AGO).  QUESTION IS WHAT TOOK THEM SO LONG TO REALIZE THAT THEY MADE A MISTAKE?

B. As others have asked here in various ways...........WHO will now be the head wrestling coach as Borelli has taken the job at American.  Will they promote Alex Tirapelle or Ray Blake to the head coach position?  Or will they hire a currently out-of-work former NCAA head wrestling coach such as Troy Steiner (Fresno State)?  Or will they hire an assistant coach from another program like Oregon State did?   If it were up to me I'd choose the first option - hire Tirapelle or Blake as their new head coach.

C. Stanford's wrestling program (and the other sports programs that were "dropped") have been seriously and adversely affected by this idiocy.  Particularly in recruiting.  Stanford not only has ZERO new recruits for 2022 (as of May 2021) but no head coach to recruit any new recruits.  Fortunately Stanford had only two Senior starters this past season (Traxler and Van Der Merwe).

40 minutes ago, Bronco said:

A.  I think it's great that the Ivory Tower academic nitwits in charge at Stanford have chosen to reverse their asinine decision (made TEN MONTHS AGO).  QUESTION IS WHAT TOOK THEM SO LONG TO REALIZE THAT THEY MADE A MISTAKE?

I suppose you could ask the same of Cornell, Princeton, the CDC, Dr. Fauci, Biden, your average Neanderthal, ...   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 hours ago, Bronco said:

B. As others have asked here in various ways...........WHO will now be the head wrestling coach as Borelli has taken the job at American.  Will they promote Alex Tirapelle or Ray Blake to the head coach position?  Or will they hire a currently out-of-work former NCAA head wrestling coach such as Troy Steiner (Fresno State)?  Or will they hire an assistant coach from another program like Oregon State did?   If it were up to me I'd choose the first option - hire Tirapelle or Blake as their new head coach.

C. Stanford's wrestling program (and the other sports programs that were "dropped") have been seriously and adversely affected by this idiocy.  Particularly in recruiting.  Stanford not only has ZERO new recruits for 2022 (as of May 2021) but no head coach to recruit any new recruits.  Fortunately Stanford had only two Senior starters this past season (Traxler and Van Der Merwe).

It's interesting you're taking these positions.

Just one year ago you were lobbying for the NCAA to lower the number of sports a school needed to sponsor so that your Boise State Broncos (that had already cut wrestling) could cut even more programs to not have the reduce football spending.

You had a problem with me being opposed to allowing schools with already few sports to cut even more sports.  But now you have a problem with a school with many sports making cuts that will still result in them having a large number of sports teams?

5 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

i presume that Griffith and Woods are staying put then, and NOT transferring?

I would presume the opposite. The program has been blown up and their coach is gone. I suppose where they are academically might influence the decision.  We shall find out soon enough. 

How do you think Borrelli is feeling right now? The program he has spent years building was blown up and he had to move his family across the country to a program that needs rebuilding. 

1 minute ago, Henry said:

How do you think Borrelli is feeling right now? The program he has spent years building was blown up and he had to move his family across the country to a program that needs rebuilding. 

After having a national champ no less.  That one has to hurt a bit.  From a wrestling perspective it was a real highlight year for the program.

On 5/18/2021 at 5:03 PM, IronChef said:

The FAQ you linked has the number 36 in it a whole bunch of times, not 37. Nothing is for sure, but I don’t see it happening.

I could be wrong but I thought even in the wrestling team's plans it wasn't necessarily immediate that the women's team would begin?

22 hours ago, Henry said:

Is there any reason that he can’t just take the job? Do wrestling coach contracts require a buyout? 

22 hours ago, Henry said:

seems like he feels pretty good - 

8 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

seems like he feels pretty good - 

What people say publicly and how they really feel can be completely different. 

I have no doubt he is happy the program has been saved but I can't help but assume he has some anger and resentment. 

On 5/20/2021 at 11:48 AM, Henry said:

What people say publicly and how they really feel can be completely different. 

I have no doubt he is happy the program has been saved but I can't help but assume he has some anger and resentment. 

Seeing this post from Ray Blake, I assume Borelli probably would have been shown the door anyway (and maybe knew that):

I get why the administration would feel that way, but how has their AD not been canned?

6 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Seeing this post from Ray Blake, I assume Borelli probably would have been shown the door anyway (and maybe knew that):

I get why the administration would feel that way, but how has their AD not been canned?

Seriously.

Don’t know what the deal is unless the AD has some fat early severance clause in his contract.  That dude needs to go.

”Know where the bodies are buried” says plenty.  I hope Koll doesn’t company man this too hard.  Are other sports seeing this type of Coaching turnover?

23 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

Seriously.

Don’t know what the deal is unless the AD has some fat early severance clause in his contract.  That dude needs to go.

”Know where the bodies are buried” says plenty.  I hope Koll doesn’t company man this too hard.  Are other sports seeing this type of Coaching turnover?

Yeah no idea. Normally I don't want people to lose their jobs but he was trying to make a lot more people lose them, and I'm sure he's got plenty of money anyway, maybe even some from Rick Singer and the Varsity Blues scandal.   

But even the "money-making" sports have been slacking - the men's BB team hasn't made the NCAA tournament since 2014 and the football team was 4-8 in 2019, only having won the Sun Bowl twice in the past 5 seasons.

Just came across this article - https://www.insidetrackgarycavalliblog.com/single-post/upon-further-review-stanford-sports-cuts-reversed?postId=a88d2cb4-f70d-42ed-938b-8d7f143a90aa&fbclid=IwAR14S8KFcPzt_3urYCNJmk7zPWx6VgLxwoRHCvqCVgcsxOBMFI3pHFoZP7Y - and thought this was pretty fitting:

It was unfortunate the president found it necessary to issue a face-saving statement about athletic director Bernard Muir, calling him “a staunch advocate for all student-athletes at every stage, both when we collectively faced the wrenching decision to discontinue sports, and as we have worked to construct this new path.”

This is the same Muir, mind you, who reportedly told numerous high school recruits there was no chance their sports would be eliminated, gave no advance warning to the coaches and athletes of the 11 cut sports, refused to provide documentation for his financial projections, declared the cuts were “final,” refused to discuss possible paths to reinstatement, and continued to add highly-paid assistant and associate athletic directors to his already bloated administrative staff.

Muir should get no credit here. In fact, as I wrote back in July, “blaming an athletic department’s deficits on the squash, rowing and synchronized swimming teams is a little like blaming an alcoholic’s addiction on the bar snacks.”