Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Will there be any ncaa champs next season that didn’t compete during the Covid season?

Will we see any guys who redshirted/didn’t compete last season win a title? 

125 - Glory or Vito, but Lee is a huge favorite 

133 - nobody

141 - Yianni maybe. Nick Lee is probably the favorite

149 - if Yianni is up here and Lee isnt, he is a heavy favorite 

157 - nobody, although Deakin may not return, Hidlay is moving up, and Delaveccio isn’t coming back. If Carr moves up, who knows who wins this weight. Jacori? Maybe a newcomer has a shot

165 - Wick has a shot, especially with the 2 recent champs moving up and Marinelli having ncaa issues

174 - nobody. Stacked weight. 

184 - nobody

197 - Darmstadt or Max Dean have a chance, but I doubt it happens. Amos is in the mix too

285 - nobody. Even if Gable doesn’t come back, there are multiple hvwts that will place ahead of anyone else. 

I think Yianni and the 3 197lbers have the only realistic shots. 

48 minutes ago, Housebuye said:

133 - nobody

157 - nobody, although Deakin may not return, Hidlay is moving up, and Delaveccio isn’t coming back. If Carr moves up, who knows who wins this weight. Jacori? Maybe a newcomer has a shot

165 - Wick has a shot, especially with the 2 recent champs moving up and Marinelli having ncaa issues

184 - nobody

197 - Darmstadt or Max Dean have a chance, but I doubt it happens. Amos is in the mix too

285 - nobody. Even if Gable doesn’t come back, there are multiple hvwts that will place ahead of anyone else. 

I believe Yianni is still the favorite over Lee, I get the OTT result, but I think going in Yianni is still the favorite.

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

133 - nobody

184 - nobody

What are the issues he has?

2 hours ago, Housebuye said:

133 - nobody

184 - nobody

I’ve heard Griffith isn’t moving up , and Mehki hasn’t decided just yet, they both may be back at 165 

and for 133 if Suriano decides to wrestle he would definitely be the favorite 

One of my hottest takes is that Lewis is overrated at this point. He had a brilliant start to college after an unexpected junior world championships, but then he took a year off, had decent, but not overwhelming freestyle results, and sustained a fairly serious injury. I think he needs to prove himself a favorite before I'm ready to say that he is. He's certainly in the running, and him winning the 2022 NCAA championship would not be the craziest thing in the world, but I don't think he will deserve the ranking Flo will give him in the preseason.

2 hours ago, Antitroll2828 said:

and for 133 if Suriano decides to wrestle he would definitely be the favorite 

I've read posters supposedly "in the know" that Suriano will only come back to try and dethrone Spencer Lee.  Take it with a grain of salt. 

Edited by portajohn

9 minutes ago, portajohn said:

I've read poster's supposedly "in the know" that Suriano will only come back to try and dethrone Spencer Lee.  Take it with a grain of salt. 

I like Nicky pushups at 133 and 61kg in on Olympic years.  Going 125 for an entire season to dethrone and probably fail should be less attractive than having a good eating life, healthy and dominating.  I'll take Nicky over RBY and Fix at this point at 133.  

11 minutes ago, treep2000 said:

I like Nicky pushups at 133 and 61kg in on Olympic years.  Going 125 for an entire season to dethrone and probably fail should be less attractive than having a good eating life, healthy and dominating.  I'll take Nicky over RBY and Fix at this point at 133.  

I agree 100%.  But, everything or anything I've heard about Suriano is "if" he came back his sights are locked on taking out Spencer.  But, those same posters stated he's most likely not coming back and done with folkstyle.  

Edited by portajohn

1 hour ago, IronChef said:

One of my hottest takes is that Lewis is overrated at this point. He had a brilliant start to college after an unexpected junior world championships, but then he took a year off, had decent, but not overwhelming freestyle results, and sustained a fairly serious injury. I think he needs to prove himself a favorite before I'm ready to say that he is. He's certainly in the running, and him winning the 2022 NCAA championship would not be the craziest thing in the world, but I don't think he will deserve the ranking Flo will give him in the preseason.

Are you serious?  So he won the NCAAs as a freshman beating a guy who was looking to become a 3 time champ in 3 years giving him his first NCAA tourney loss then wins a junior world title but he's overrated?  He got hurt dude.  Overrated at this point is laughable.

26 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

Are you serious?  So he won the NCAAs as a freshman beating a guy who was looking to become a 3 time champ in 3 years giving him his first NCAA tourney loss then wins a junior world title but he's overrated?  He got hurt dude.  Overrated at this point is laughable.

I said it was a hot take.

6 hours ago, Housebuye said:

133 - nobody

184 - nobody

Is there talk of Carr moving up? I did not think he looked particularly large at that weight last year. Perhaps that is because guys like Deakin and Hidlay were massive for the weight though...

1 hour ago, AnklePicker said:

I think you could make the argument the shine wore off a little before that injury. He took losses in that year off, including a rematch with Joseph and a shellacking from Karchla. He also won the junior title before ncaas, but that's not important. A bunch of people assumed he was going to make a huge jump and become a transcendent guy, but he hasn't.

We've seen guys who had crazy tournament runs not be able to repeat before. Nobody said he can't win again, but he's not a strong favorite at either weight he chooses next year.

29 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

I think you could make the argument the shine wore off a little before that injury. He took losses in that year off, including a rematch with Joseph and a shellacking from Karchla. He also won the junior title before ncaas, but that's not important. A bunch of people assumed he was going to make a huge jump and become a transcendent guy, but he hasn't.

We've seen guys who had crazy tournament runs not be able to repeat before. Nobody said he can't win again, but he's not a strong favorite at either weight he chooses next year.

Is he overrated?  If he's healthy, I will take him to win NCAAs at whatever weight he wrestles.  Any takers?

10 minutes ago, AnklePicker said:

Is he overrated?  If he's healthy, I will take him to win NCAAs at whatever weight he wrestles.  Any takers?

Idk how overrated, but I did feel he was a little overrated coming in. I mean he was well on his way to losing that Wentzel match before the injury.

If he's at 174, I'll take Starocci and Kemerer over him. If he's back at 165, I'd probably take him, but not confidently given how badly Karchla beat him. I've heard he'll be at 174.

Whether he can win a title is irrelevant to whether he was overrated. There were people talking about him as a wildcard at 74 kg OTT's. That was obviously pretty ridiculous.

5 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Idk how overrated, but I did feel he was a little overrated coming in. I mean he was well on his way to losing that Wentzel match before the injury.

If he's at 174, I'll take Starocci and Kemerer over him. If he's back at 165, I'd probably take him, but not confidently given how badly Karchla beat him. I've heard he'll be at 174.

Whether he can win a title is irrelevant to whether he was overrated. There were people talking about him as a wildcard at 74 kg OTT's. That was obviously pretty ridiculous.

He was barely able to move arm. I wouldn’t use that quarter finals match to evaluate him. The year of results after first title… yes. But he was a shell of himself at nattys