Sign in to follow this  
Housebuye

Will there be any ncaa champs next season that didn’t compete during the Covid season?

2 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

On his show, Willie said he believes Vito will be at 133. He could definitely win that weight. He's already beaten Fix, Suriano, and RBY in his career.

can't tell if Greg D is going to wrestle this year. i'd love to see Little D/Vito at 125/133. 

1 hour ago, jp157 said:

He was barely able to move arm. I wouldn’t use that quarter finals match to evaluate him. The year of results after first title… yes. But he was a shell of himself at nattys 

I'm taking recovery from the injury into my evaluation, but his performance while injured does not factor into my thoughts at all. I am hopeful that he will be 100% healthy next year and our view on him as a wrestler is all about ability and not at all about whether his shoulder stays in place.

3 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

Is he overrated?  If he's healthy, I will take him to win NCAAs at whatever weight he wrestles.  Any takers?

I would be in on that....for how much. But the winnings have to go to a wrestling entity. I don't care who wins just want wrestling getting a donation.

2 hours ago, jp157 said:

He was barely able to move arm. I wouldn’t use that quarter finals match to evaluate him. The year of results after first title… yes. But he was a shell of himself at nattys 

I think you misread. I'm not talking about nationals. He was obviously hurt. I'm talking about the period between his title and when he got hurt when he took several losses.

4 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

Are you serious?  So he won the NCAAs as a freshman beating a guy who was looking to become a 3 time champ in 3 years giving him his first NCAA tourney loss then wins a junior world title but he's overrated?  He got hurt dude.  Overrated at this point is laughable.

An injured Mark Hall type of career maybe

4 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Idk how overrated, but I did feel he was a little overrated coming in. I mean he was well on his way to losing that Wentzel match before the injury.

If he's at 174, I'll take Starocci and Kemerer over him. If he's back at 165, I'd probably take him, but not confidently given how badly Karchla beat him. I've heard he'll be at 174.

Whether he can win a title is irrelevant to whether he was overrated. There were people talking about him as a wildcard at 74 kg OTT's. That was obviously pretty ridiculous.

I think this is changing the subject a bit.   Saying he "didn't become a transcendent senior level guy" is a lot different than saying he'd be the favorite at 165/174 in the NCAA.    I'd take any covid offseason results with a grain of salt.

Yeah he probably loses the Wentzel match even without the injury, but Wentzel got 1 takedown and clung onto his back for a bit.   That's an easily reversible result.

8 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

Idk how overrated, but I did feel he was a little overrated coming in. I mean he was well on his way to losing that Wentzel match before the injury.

If he's at 174, I'll take Starocci and Kemerer over him. If he's back at 165, I'd probably take him, but not confidently given how badly Karchla beat him. I've heard he'll be at 174.

Whether he can win a title is irrelevant to whether he was overrated. There were people talking about him as a wildcard at 74 kg OTT's. That was obviously pretty ridiculous.

The Karchla match was freestyle. Five of his points came from 2 guts and push out. The last takedown would have been zero points in folk. Mekhi looked gassed early in the match. Would be very different folk style match in season imo.  Like I said, I got him as a champ next year, if healthy of course. 

18 hours ago, portajohn said:

I've read posters supposedly "in the know" that Suriano will only come back to try and dethrone Spencer Lee.  Take it with a grain of salt. 

I’m a big fan of Lee and not so much of Suriano but if this happens, win or not, my respect level for Nicky will go way up.  Big stones if he even tries it.

10 hours ago, AnklePicker said:

The Karchla match was freestyle. Five of his points came from 2 guts and push out. The last takedown would have been zero points in folk. Mekhi looked gassed early in the match. Would be very different folk style match in season imo.  Like I said, I got him as a champ next year, if healthy of course. 

I guess maybe we're talking about different things. He's definitely a strong pick to win. When I mean overrated, I'm talking about the tendency we sometimes see with freshman champs where people just assume they're going to dominate the rest of their career to 4 titles. It almost never happens. He'll be one of 3-4 guys who could win at either weight he chooses, but not a strong favorite.

Just now, uncle bernard said:

I guess maybe we're talking about different things. He's definitely a strong pick to win. When I mean overrated, I'm talking about the tendency we sometimes see with freshman champs where people just assume they're going to dominate the rest of their career to 4 titles. It almost never happens. He'll be one of 3-4 guys who could win at either weight he chooses, but not a strong favorite.

I agree with this. He has a good at shot at winning, but I'd take the field in any weight he entered.

On 5/20/2021 at 4:04 PM, 1032004 said:

If Vito goes 133, why wouldn’t he?

i don't have a reason why. my expectation has been that he'd come this year and then ... idk i read somewhere that he wasn't on a roster or koll left his name out of a list or something. can't tell if it was an oversight or something meaningful and i don't remember the source so i can't even point to it. my hope is that he's wrestling in the fall for the big red, no offense to the lajoie family.