Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Jimmy Cinnabon

Would Wick to PSU make them the favorites next year?

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, portajohn said:

In the Cael era at NCAA Finals PSU wrestlers are 45-19 in placement bouts (70% Success rate). Have won 27 Titles out of 41 Finalist (66% Success Rate).  5-0 for 3rd place bouts, 8-3 for 5th, and 5-2 for 7th.  Their success at NCAA's and exceeding seed placement has been discussed ad nauseam.  Cael has gotten his wrestlers prepared for NCAA's better than anyone else in the last decade.  

Cael is easily the best coach in D1 wrestling. Guys that could start nearly anywhere go to PSU just to ride the bench. Kinda makes me sick, lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

Cael is easily the best coach in D1 wrestling. Guys that could start nearly anywhere go to PSU just to ride the bench. Kinda makes me sick, lol. 

I've enjoyed the Cael era. I get the bashing on many PSU fans but never understood a lot of the hate on Cael. I remember the times when fans from other schools loved our fan base and would ask why aren't the Lions dominant. Now we're hated. I get it. Am ok with it. But the Cael hate I don't get.

I remember being at a meet and greet Cael held the weekend of the PSU Iowa football game in October 2009. Some old timer pointed a finger in his face and said, "This is Pennsylvania. If you don't win us a championship you're out." Cael grinned and kind of chuckled.  Shook his hand. Said nothing.  I remember thinking to myself, "yo old man. Hasn't happened since 1953."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Drew87 said:

I think it was Tom Brands, said he had a dislocated rib and took cartilage with it or something, you can see it happen in the last scramble, Marinelli kinda folds and has his hand right to the spot immediately. Rib things are right up there with shoulder things in terms of debilitating a wrestler.

true - splains a lot.   Marinelli is a warrior and I say that even though I definitely do not root for his team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, portajohn said:

I've enjoyed the Cael era. I get the bashing on many PSU fans but never understood a lot of the hate on Cael. I remember the times when fans from other schools loved our fan base and would ask why aren't the Lions dominant. Now we're hated. I get it. Am ok with it. But the Cael hate I don't get.

I remember being at a meet and greet Cael held the weekend of the PSU Iowa football game in October 2009. Some old timer pointed a finger in his face and said, "This is Pennsylvania. If you don't win us a championship you're out." Cael grinned and kind of chuckled.  Shook his hand. Said nothing.  I remember thinking to myself, "yo old man. Hasn't happened since 1953."

I don’t think there’s much hate on Cael.

The only things that we know he’s done worthy of criticism are throwing a chair and recruiting Andrew Long.

I and others have made some comments about how much PSU guys seem to love God, but we don’t know if Cael is actually pushing that or not.

Other than that can’t hate on the guy.  Definitely the best coach currently and in the conversation for GOAT.

Edited by 1032004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Antitroll2828 said:

Dean is an ncaa finalist and beard took 7th as a 15 seed as a super freshman , so as of now Dean is an upgrade..and idk what you mean by Kerk “ hasn’t proven he can stay healthy” the guy had staph that went to his bloodstream not some soft tissue injury or a broken bone and he’s now like 255 260 with a win over Parris in free this summer …and Bartlett didn’t qualify for ncaas because he lost an OT match to Yayha Thomas who went on to take 3rd, he also lost a one point match to Sasso ….without suriano penn state is going to score more points then last year and if you throw suriano into the mix the team race is over 

I don’t think it’s “over,” but they’d definitely be the favorite IMO.

Here’s what I posted in the Wick thread.  Take out the 15 from Wick, but add ~20 for Suriano and they’re about a 5pt favorite IMO.  That is with them getting 0 at 157 and 165 though...seems like the new projection may be Lee/Facundo rather than Barraclaugh/Lee which could score a few points.

 

On 5/20/2021 at 11:02 AM, 1032004 said:

Iowa won by 15.5 in 2021

Howard scored 1.5.   Let's call it 0 for Steen.   17 pt difference

Berge scored 3.  Let's call it 0 for Barraclaugh.  20 pt difference

Beard scored 9.5.  Dean scored 17 in 2019.   Call it 16 for 2022?   13.5 pt difference

Joe Lee scored 0.  Wick scored 15.5 in 2019.   Call it 15 for 2022?  1.5 pt difference for PSU

Bartlett will score in 2022.   Maybe AA's.  5.5?  7 pt difference for PSU

Marinelli scored 4 in 2021.  7.5 in 2019, 13 in 2018.  Call it 15 for 2022?  4 pt difference for Iowa.  Obviously he's the wild card.

Kerk scored 11 in 2021.  He improves in 2022.   Call it 15 for 2022?  tied.

I'll assume the rest stay equal for simplicity.   Some may higher, some may be lower but I don't envision the rest being too much different.   

So considering that includes 2 PSU guys scoring 0 and PSU's history of overperforming, yes I think Wick would make PSU the favorite.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, 1032004 said:

Possibly.  Do you think PSU scores more than 0 at 157 & 165?

I think at 165, yes.  I think Facundo is immediately as good or better than say... Amine from UofM.  He will wrestle close matches, but will win almost all of them.  I am also curious as to whether or not he will be 165.  He 'wrestled' 170 last year, but it was no secret that 160 would have been easy for him.  He hasn't grown THAT much since his Frosh year in high school.  Does this mean he can go 157?

I want him at 165, myself, and I believe he is a nightmare stylistic matchup for guys like Marinelli.  Imagine the Bull getting the 1 seed again and losing to a 8/9 seed Facundo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, nhs67 said:

I think at 165, yes.  I think Facundo is immediately as good or better than say... Amine from UofM.  He will wrestle close matches, but will win almost all of them.  I am also curious as to whether or not he will be 165.  He 'wrestled' 170 last year, but it was no secret that 160 would have been easy for him.  He hasn't grown THAT much since his Frosh year in high school.  Does this mean he can go 157?

I want him at 165, myself, and I believe he is a nightmare stylistic matchup for guys like Marinelli.  Imagine the Bull getting the 1 seed again and losing to a 8/9 seed Facundo.

That'd be hella disappointing, for sure.

I've only seen a handful of Facundo's matches. He doesn't seem super elusive or scrambly, which appears to give Marinelli fits. What do you think makes him a bad matchup?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...