portajohn

Fresno State - Help Out & Join the Cause

The behavior attributed to Silva is disturbing and deserves to come out. It's not a hit piece on Steiner to report on actions by an assistant coach that should probably disqualify him from coaching at the college level again. Figuring out the motivations of whoever gave the report to the newspaper has to be secondary to the malfeasance described in the report.

40 minutes ago, IronChef said:

The behavior attributed to Silva is disturbing and deserves to come out. It's not a hit piece on Steiner to report on actions by an assistant coach that should probably disqualify him from coaching at the college level again. Figuring out the motivations of whoever gave the report to the newspaper has to be secondary to the malfeasance described in the report.

Silva also wasn't on staff last year (2020-21) and he's not actively coaching on at the college level. You can draw your own conclusions as to that reasoning why he isn't with the program anymore, one COULD assume they're related. Steiner is still under contract and Fresno State is going to do whatever it can to find a way to get out of it. If it involves bringing up old news and throwing it to the Fresno Bee for that public outcry for "something needs to be done," so be it, according to their actions.

I'm not giving anyone a pass on what allegedly occurred, but from my experience, newspapers don't just make this much of a stink about a wrestling program that doesn't exist anymore. Hell, the Norfolk paper was told to file an FOIA for the consultant report that dropped wrestling. That's all they did. They didn't investigate anything else. They were spoon fed the information, ran it, and forgot about any of those kids.

For the Fresno Bee, this was dropped on their doorstep, in a manner of speaking. Whatever happened, it's too convenient a school that's not been shy about trying to get rid of a contracted coach is going to use the press to further the agenda. 

16 minutes ago, JasonBryant said:

Silva also wasn't on staff last year (2020-21) and he's not actively coaching on at the college level. You can draw your own conclusions as to that reasoning why he isn't with the program anymore, one COULD assume they're related. Steiner is still under contract and Fresno State is going to do whatever it can to find a way to get out of it. If it involves bringing up old news and throwing it to the Fresno Bee for that public outcry for "something needs to be done," so be it, according to their actions.

I'm not giving anyone a pass on what allegedly occurred, but from my experience, newspapers don't just make this much of a stink about a wrestling program that doesn't exist anymore. Hell, the Norfolk paper was told to file an FOIA for the consultant report that dropped wrestling. That's all they did. They didn't investigate anything else. They were spoon fed the information, ran it, and forgot about any of those kids.

For the Fresno Bee, this was dropped on their doorstep, in a manner of speaking. Whatever happened, it's too convenient a school that's not been shy about trying to get rid of a contracted coach is going to use the press to further the agenda. 

Okay that makes sense that Silva wasn't there - Steiner and Chamberlain were the only ones? 

On 5/20/2021 at 9:07 PM, Drew87 said:

Unlike Stanford, I could see this actually being a budget issue.  I don’t get the impression the “State” system has the same coinage as the UC system.

Stanford is private.  Unfortunately Davis was the last UC school with a wrestling team. 

That's correct, the Senior Associate Athletics Director for External Relations, Senior Associate Athletics Director for Sport Services/SWA, and Deputy Director of Athletics did not make the decision to drop three sports, and they are not able to reverse that decision. Do not call these people.

Director of Athletics  has much to do about making the call.  Last time the program was dropped it was Thomas Boeh's decision. 

Mr. Turney he does not list his contact information, Senior Associate Athletics Director for External Relations, Senior Associate Athletics Director for Sport Services/SWA, and Deputy Director of Athletics can convey the message.

On 6/17/2021 at 7:14 AM, IronChef said:

That's correct, the Senior Associate Athletics Director for External Relations, Senior Associate Athletics Director for Sport Services/SWA, and Deputy Director of Athletics did not make the decision to drop three sports, and they are not able to reverse that decision. Do not call these people.

I asked The Athletic Dept does not make the decisions?  You said correct and listed the various positions don't make the decisions but the AD does.  I talked to Mr.  Pucher Senior Associate Athletics Director for External Relations; he did his best to explain.  I understand Title IX and Women's Lacrosse, however,  he did say that Wrestling was dependent on Men's tennis, but could not explain why.    IronChef what is your solution?  Calling the CSUF Athletic Dept will ensure that they know the community is disappointed.  What harm will it cause?  

"Better to light one candle than to cry about the dark"

Hassling people who can't fix the problem is not the answer. I'm not saying you hassled anyone or were not respectful. I just question what you hope to get done by calling people who had nothing to do with this. Also, are you part of the Fresno State community? Alumni, parent, donor, ticket holder? If you are, then you have a bigger reason than the rest of us to get in touch and make your feelings known. The rest of us don't really have standing to call up Fresno State and complain about a team we've got nothing to do with.

8 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Hassling people who can't fix the problem is not the answer. I'm not saying you hassled anyone or were not respectful. I just question what you hope to get done by calling people who had nothing to do with this. Also, are you part of the Fresno State community? Alumni, parent, donor, ticket holder? If you are, then you have a bigger reason than the rest of us to get in touch and make your feelings known. The rest of us don't really have standing to call up Fresno State and complain about a team we've got nothing to do with.

Those who live in California do, based on being a taxpayer.

Alumni; doner.  The more calls the more they will realize that they have made a wrong move.  I also want to know what can be done.  Again what is your plan?  

13 hours ago, IronChef said:

So you do suggest “harassing” the AD (politely), correct?    Sure the AD probably made the final call, but if the AD’s info is not public, it may not be a bad idea to try those other people as well since I imagine at least some of them likely did have input on the decision, particularly the Deputy Director who is the second person listed in their directory.

I don’t see what’s wrong with doing that.  That’s basically what even Keep Stanford Wrestling specifically suggested and I know many people that emailed were not directly connected to the school.

Although back to the AD’s email, I imagine it might be one of these:

TTURNEY@MAIL.FRESNOSTATE.EDU

TERRYTURNEY@MAIL.FRESNOSTATE.EDU

TERRYTURNEY@CSUFRESNO.EDU

TTURNEY@CSUFRESNO.EDU

TURNEYT@CSUFRESNO.EDU

TURNEYT@MAIL.FRESNOSTATE.EDU

I think alumni and others directly connected to the program should find a way to politely register their displeasure, but someone like me out here in the eastern time zone who's never been to Fresno should not, unless I'm offering to become a donor. My general point is not that people should give up on saving the sport; my point is that the actual stakeholders should be the ones reaching out to the school, not internet randos like most of us.

When I suggest that people on the internet should not be calling the Fresno athletic department, that's not the same advice I'd give to someone like @kenfit who is part of the Fresno wrestling community.

I also believe that, while the AD and his staff were involved in the decision to drop three sports (remember it's not just wrestling), the president, Joseph Castro was the real decision-maker and that someone like the Senior Associate Athletics Director for External Relations was not heavily involved in the decision and definitely has no power to reverse it.

The whole situation stinks, and I hope there is a way to save the program, but it's easiest to drop the new program first, especially when it is consistently way over budget and not sponsored by the school's conference (this is also true for women's lacrosse). 

6 hours ago, 1032004 said:

So you do suggest “harassing” the AD (politely), correct?    Sure the AD probably made the final call, but if the AD’s info is not public, it may not be a bad idea to try those other people as well since I imagine at least some of them likely did have input on the decision, particularly the Deputy Director who is the second person listed in their directory.

I don’t see what’s wrong with doing that.  That’s basically what even Keep Stanford Wrestling specifically suggested and I know many people that emailed were not directly connected to the school.

Although back to the AD’s email, I imagine it might be one of these:

TTURNEY@MAIL.FRESNOSTATE.EDU

TERRYTURNEY@MAIL.FRESNOSTATE.EDU

TERRYTURNEY@CSUFRESNO.EDU

TTURNEY@CSUFRESNO.EDU

TURNEYT@CSUFRESNO.EDU

TURNEYT@MAIL.FRESNOSTATE.EDU

Given that his name is Terry TUMEY, you probably won’t reach him at any of those.

http://directory.csufresno.edu/detailsFacultyStaff.asp?ID=5633

Edited by SetonHallPirate

22 minutes ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Given that his name is Terry TUMEY, you probably won’t reach him at any of those.

http://directory.csufresno.edu/detailsFacultyStaff.asp?ID=5633

Ha, good catch, thanks!  And for those that didn't click the link, looks like that shows his email address as:

athdirector@mail.fresnostate.edu (which doesn't even have a name in it)

3 hours ago, 1032004 said:

Ha, good catch, thanks!  And for those that didn't click the link, looks like that shows his email address as:

athdirector@mail.fresnostate.edu (which doesn't even have a name in it)

I haven’t tried it, but judging by that phone number not being used anywhere else in the directory, it appears to be a legit direct line.

4 hours ago, kenfit said:

Good catch; I really represented CSU Fresno alumni well.  Hey we like wrestling spelling ehh.

Given that I had to spell his name right when I FOIAed his contract back in October in the first place, pretty sure I had to nail it. Then again, Tumey and Turney do look pretty similar in text…do we need to start using Highway Gothic font on this board?