Sign in to follow this  
eamuscatuli

Olympics- 3 on 3 & BMX

Did I read it wrong, or did the IOC Exec at the end of the article say that Greco wrestling has "seven men's events", and then express concern that there are no Greco "events" for women?

So, each weight class is now a separate event?

And the IOC must have recently passed Title IX - I wasn't aware of that either.

--> Sounds like a bunch of smoke and mirrors to me

This is all just a reflection of what this world is coming to. We don't do what's right if right doesn't fill our pockets with money. Greed has become the destruction of the world we live in.

very very sad ..

I don't understand the idea that there is a moral imperative that wrestling (or any other sport) be part of the modern Olympic games. What are at work here are market and societal forces. It's not per se right or wrong to include or exclude any sport from the Olympics. I know this is heresy for a wrestling fan, but the fact is that the "oldest and greatest sport" defense never has and never will help wrestling overcome market and societal pressures. Wrestling has to bring value to the table and we need to effectively deal with the social issues contributing to its current state if we want the sport to survive.

The worst part of that statement by the IOC is that the whole reason there isn't Greco for females is that the IOC would not allow FILA to add to the total number of athletes when they added female divisions for Freestyle. So they already had to slash the number of weight classes to an absurdly low number in order to add any female divisions at all. I'm 100% confident that FILA would be happy to add more female divisions if the IOC would let them add athletes.