18 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

Bravado vs confidence you feel in your bones.

Some guys have both. But some have confidence without bravado. For others, bravado is a facade for crippling self-doubt. And, sometimes bravado manifests from unwarrented self-confidence. 

Re bones: I imagine you could feel greatness in your bones and still absolutely stink.

Edit: I wonder if you can be great without confidence. It happens in art sometimes. I know Kafka wanted Max Brod to burn his work (new theory is that this story is apocryphal). Didn't Dickinson want her poems thrown out?  IDK

Edited by jackwebster

1 hour ago, Sstern said:

Please wrestle Gable Steveson now.

No doubt.  When I hear the scuttlebutt from time to time about him bumping up next year, I start wondering if Steveson would tech him.

Get off the kid..... there’s always somebody better eventually...he was the best at the day and time.... doing it again is the feet... 97 has more players next year.... barring a covid downturn or injuries.... 

On 5/21/2021 at 1:09 PM, TobusRex said:

My mouse got into Fix's refrigerator one time. Now it's a rat. 

Rex is a comedian! He needs to quit his day job. 
Rodney Dangerfield similarities. 
Saturday night live could be in the cards. 

On 5/22/2021 at 9:26 AM, jackwebster said:

Success in MMA is hard to predict. I (and not a few sponsors) thought Pico was a sure thing. That said, Ferrari seems too pretty. Something about his arrogance is different than, say, McGregor's arrogance. 

I mean it is way too early in Picos career to say he isn't still a sure thing. 7-3 with everyone of his opponents having a winning record, is a pretty good start. Even McGregor had 2 losses early in his career.

On 5/22/2021 at 9:26 AM, jackwebster said:

Something about his arrogance is different than, say, McGregor's arrogance. 

The difference is that he sucks at it. He just comes off as an idiot, which redeems him cause it makes him funny, he has somehow turned into a satire of himself in one embodiment. 

Edited by hammerlockthree

Ferrari has that stupid confidence, know what I mean?
I had a teammate in HS. Same age as myself, but a class behind me in school (he was a dumb guy, failed a grade back in grade school). Anyway the dude started wrestling in 9th grade and went something like 30-2 his first year while starting at HWT (against Jr High level competition, not HS).  His technique was poor (at best). He was a good athlete, but not particularly special. He just had an idiotic confidence, based on nothing more than his belief in his own awesomeness and a total lack of awareness of his deficiencies.
Ferrari is like that, only even more egotistical. 
You sound like a real prick

46 minutes ago, zephyr424 said:
On 5/21/2021 at 2:09 PM, TobusRex said:
Ferrari has that stupid confidence, know what I mean?
I had a teammate in HS. Same age as myself, but a class behind me in school (he was a dumb guy, failed a grade back in grade school). Anyway the dude started wrestling in 9th grade and went something like 30-2 his first year while starting at HWT (against Jr High level competition, not HS).  His technique was poor (at best). He was a good athlete, but not particularly special. He just had an idiotic confidence, based on nothing more than his belief in his own awesomeness and a total lack of awareness of his deficiencies.
Ferrari is like that, only even more egotistical. 

You sound like a real prick

Don't let it upset you too much, Snowflake. 

This thread is full of people wishing Ferrari would go up 80 lbs. to face the best college wrestler on the planet.  That's because even the people who hate him and want to see him crushed know it would take Steveson to do it.  It'd be like people talking trash against Spencer Lee by saying they wanted to see Nate Carr crush him.  The very idea is testimony of how good Ferrari was as a true freshman (and how obnoxious he is).

Edited by boconnell

1 hour ago, boconnell said:

This thread is full of people wishing Ferrari would go up 80 lbs. to face the best college wrestler on the planet.  That's because even the people who hate him and want to see him crushed know it would take Steveson to do it.  It'd be like people talking trash against Spencer Lee by saying they wanted to see Nate Carr crush him.  The very idea is testimony of how good Ferrari was as a true freshman (and how obnoxious he is).

He was good and he did win, he benefited from an artificially weak field.  If guys all around the country can wrestle as much as teams that just ignored COVID did, he has a taller task on his hands.

Or, if referees decide that they can in fact call a John Smith wrestler for stalling, he ends the season with ~6 losses.

24 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

Or, if referees decide that they can in fact call a John Smith wrestler for stalling, he ends the season with ~6 losses.

This is absurd.  He was the absolute aggressor on his feet in every NCAA match and was never taken down.  Only Warner wrestled him even on his feet at NCAAs (and only Adams took him down all season).  In the only match where a ref called his repeated dropping to the leg (finals match), he just stopped doing it and continued winning in neutral.  He wrecked the field in neutral and stalled on top.  You can call him instantly on top and it just means more of Ferrari beating guys on his feet.   

Your point about the field missing guys is correct, but the idea that he won on officiating is delusional fantasy.  

5 hours ago, boconnell said:

Well to be fair I also think M Parris and Tony Cass would also beat AJ.  I think Schutz, Kerk, and a number of others would be difficult for AJ too.  I am a big fan of AJ but the heavyweight class is just loaded with talent and size does matter in this sport.  If he does go up I would not be surprised to see him take a RS year to fill out and adjust to heavyweight prior to competing there.  That would seem like the sensible thing to do.

12 hours ago, boconnell said:

You are forgetting one very important thing: it is Ferrari who called out Steveson some time ago.  Otherwise I doubt anyone, and certainly not me, would have brought it up.  If Mr. Fabulous wants to prove it, it’s go time.

On 5/23/2021 at 7:39 PM, shieldofpistis said:

I hope he has the confidence to wrestle heavyweight 

Spencer Lee should get both knees fixed then spend next year going up thru the weights to finish undefeated with a national title at 285, if he doesn't accept this challenge then I say he has no confidence.  ;_;