nhs67

Flo New Setup

I've given it a bit, to try to see if I'll adjust to it.  I admittedly was annoyed to all hell when they switched from green to red, however I adjusted and have been good.

I am beyond annoyed with their current page format.

As-is I have to go to the site and select the 'news' tab.  Why is 'watch' the default tab, and is it adjustable or able to be personalized differently?  I've accepted that I may be just plain ignorant when it comes to this.

I can get over all the crap they pulled on Willie, especially since we're supposed to blame him for everything now, but this may be the straw for me.  Big fan of what Kozak has been doing there and FRL is still my 3rd favorite podcast (behind Bloodround & Baschamania), but this in and of itself is putting me over the edge.

1 hour ago, nhs67 said:

As-is I have to go to the site and select the 'news' tab.  Why is 'watch' the default tab, and is it adjustable or able to be personalized differently?  I've accepted that I may be just plain ignorant when it comes to this.

this is excellent feedback, and I encourage everyone to leave more feedback like this. Negative is totally cool and the more specific you can be (e.g. I liked it when it was set up like X, I don't like it now that I have to do Y to get to X) the better. 

I also encourage people to leave comments with what features they wish the site had, whether it was on the old layout or not.

general feedback is cool, just less helpful to the product team, who I'll make sure sees all your comments. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

this is excellent feedback, and I encourage everyone to leave more feedback like this. Negative is totally cool and the more specific you can be (e.g. I liked it when it was set up like X, I don't like it now that I have to do Y to get to X) the better. 

I also encourage people to leave comments with what features they wish the site had, whether it was on the old layout or not.

general feedback is cool, just less helpful to the product team, who I'll make sure sees all your comments. Thanks!

Thanks Spey,

A) Why do I have to search for a FRL podcast?  Shouldn't there be a tab for this?

B) Biggest reason I paid for Flo was because of the Kolat film.  I also really enjoyed the one on Terry Brands.  The others are decent too.  Is it a budgetary issue which i can understand but you guys are lacking on engaging the viewer.  Keep the Flo Films coming.  Except the one on PSU and Dan Gable.  They stunk.    

C) Why is the new web page layout so dark?  Homage to Myspace circa 2005?

D) Again, why so little content on the films? The wrestling world knows @Husker_Du is going to smoke you guys on content but when it comes to FloFIlms I like what you guys  do.  Better focus on that before Willie puts you guys under a rock.  There's an olympics coming up.  Are you guys covering this by making a FloFilms about it?  If not, why am I paying for your services?  If not I suggest you guys sub it out to Will Harris from Anatomy of A Fighter.  I'm sure Daniel Cormier can attest to how good he is at capturing the trial and tribulations of a combat athlete. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC47UlrwAYX5HRs5bm2KbEZg

Edited by portajohn

1 hour ago, portajohn said:

Thanks Spey,

A) Why do I have to search for a FRL podcast?  Shouldn't there be a tab for this?

B) Biggest reason I paid for Flo was because of the Kolat film.  I also really enjoyed the one on Terry Brands.  The others are decent too.  Is it a budgetary issue which i can understand but you guys are lacking on engaging the viewer.  Keep the Flo Films coming.  Except the one on PSU and Dan Gable.  They stunk.    

C) Why is the new web page layout so dark?  Homage to Myspace circa 2005?

D) Again, why so little content on the films? The wrestling world knows @Husker_Du is going to smoke you guys on content but when it comes to FloFIlms I like what you guys  do.  Better focus on that before Willie puts you guys under a rock.  There's an olympics coming up.  Are you guys covering this by making a FloFilms about it?  If not, why am I paying for your services?  If not I suggest you guys sub it out to Will Harris from Anatomy of A Fighter.  I'm sure Daniel Cormier can attest to how good he is at capturing the trial and tribulations of a combat athlete. 

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC47UlrwAYX5HRs5bm2KbEZg

lol, i will make sure all the feedback is seen by the product team except for posts from the toilet guy. appreciate the effort tho!

50 minutes ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

lol, i will make sure all the feedback is seen by the product team except for posts from the toilet guy. appreciate the effort tho!

Really?  I just gave you a lead on teaming up with Will Harris who is one of the most respected videographers in MMA and can help grow the sport of wrestling.  Respected enough to get on the Joe Rogan podcast.  If your product team was smart you'd reach out to this man.  Make a decent video and have Usman, Cormier, Khabib, Cejudo, (They all share the same manager) etc share his work through social media that would an audience beyond the wrestling community.  Just goes to show the mentality of Flo and why wrestling doesn't grow.  It's ran by mental midgets.  Have you guys reached out to Micah Parsons?  You know, the first round draft pick from Penn State who's playing for the Cowboys and posting about wrestling on his Twitter feed?  You guys are always 20 steps behind.

Edited by portajohn

I've given it a bit, to try to see if I'll adjust to it.  I admittedly was annoyed to all hell when they switched from green to red, however I adjusted and have been good.
I am beyond annoyed with their current page format.
I can get over all the crap they pulled on Willie, especially since we're supposed to blame him for everything now, but this may be the straw for me.  Big fan of what Kozak has been doing there and FRL is still my 3rd favorite podcast (behind Bloodround & Baschamania), but this in and of itself is putting me over the edge.

I’ve been having the same reaction and general thought process about the new layout. To me it seems like they’re trying to make it feel more like the mobile/roku app, maybe to have some continuity across the brand? I agree that it is not a pleasant experience in a web browser, but also that it may be simply because it breaks the mold of what we expect the Flo website to be. So far, I don’t find it friendly to navigate, and not pleasing on the eyes in general.

1 hour ago, portajohn said:

Really?  I just gave you a lead on teaming up with Will Harris who is one of the most respected videographers in MMA and can help grow the sport of wrestling.  Respected enough to get on the Joe Rogan podcast.  If your product team was smart you'd reach out to this man.  Make a decent video and have Usman, Cormier, Khabib, Cejudo, (They all share the same manager) etc share his work through social media that would an audience beyond the wrestling community.  Just goes to show the mentality of Flo and why wrestling doesn't grow.  It's ran by mental midgets.  Have you guys reached out to Micah Parsons?  You know, the first round draft pick from Penn State who's playing for the Cowboys and posting about wrestling on his Twitter feed?  You guys are always 20 steps behind.

"a lead", lol.

Let’s be serious, Flowrestling operates like a cable provider now more than anything else. They are just a conglomerate with broadcasting rights, the sport itself is of tertiary concern at best...

it would be nice to have the resources of Big Cable! 

I welcome all criticisms of Flo but its hard to know what to do with comments like Drew's. Every day I get to work with people busting their butts for the sport of wrestling. If it was about the money we all would be doing something else with our time. Its corny and you can dismiss my opinions because I also work there but its truly inspiring. 

anyway, specific criticism is good. it will help Flo improve. generally saying Flo sucks is fine, it just isn't going to help anything, except perhaps for some personal catharsis.

1 hour ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

it would be nice to have the resources of Big Cable! 

I welcome all criticisms of Flo but its hard to know what to do with comments like Drew's. Every day I get to work with people busting their butts for the sport of wrestling. If it was about the money we all would be doing something else with our time. Its corny and you can dismiss my opinions because I also work there but its truly inspiring. 

anyway, specific criticism is good. it will help Flo improve. generally saying Flo sucks is fine, it just isn't going to help anything, except perhaps for some personal catharsis.

I appreciate your commitment good sir, and I apologize if I misunderstood the purpose of this thread.  I will provide real feedback free of snark as much as possible.  I had a Flo subscription for many years, and spent at least minutes though oftentimes hours a day on Flo just about everyday for the past twelve years.  

THE GOOD THINGS FLO DID:
Broadly speaking, there is no question Flowrestling is responsible for wrestling in the US being where it is today.  Kids raised on Flo have had access to incredible knowledge and wrestling footage that really wasn’t a thing a decade ago if you didn’t grow up in a wrestling hotspot.

Initially, Flo provided access to new events, wrestlers, concepts and material.  Domestically, I think of events like the early Southern Scuffle coverage with Fretwell and Roper, as well as central Michigan/Kent St duals with Zeb Miller.  Those guys knew their stuff cold and were objective wrestling enthusiasts.  They were there to be excited about wrestling and knew the wrestlers and the teams cold.  It was almost impossible to watch a match they were matside for without learning something new. 

Internationally, Flo put in the effort to provide access to things that we in the US didn’t even know existed, or could never dream of having access to.  The best example I can give of this would be coverage of Russian Nationals prior to the 2008 Olympics, that coverage was just unreal, and exposed US wrestlers and fans to new environments, ways of wrestling, wrestlers, and a nation in ways that 99.9% of people will never get to see.  

Where Flo wasn’t doing this, it raised the level of analysis or production value of events that were already being broadcasted, but were really poorly done.  NCAA’s is the prime example of this.  They used to be ATROCIOUS.  It is undoubtedly thanks to Flo that NCAA coverage isn’t horrendous grainy garbage anymore.  Flo forced standardization of the 8-mat multicast for NCAA’s, and improved coverage of BigTen’s as well.  Ditto for Fargo coverage.

I could go on, because Flo has done a lot of good things. Overall, the tone and messaging of Flo content was positive and geared towards objective, enthusiastic  growth of the sport of wrestling in the US and worldwide.

MY CURRENT CRITICISMS:
I’m sorry to say, it has been a long time since Flo-related material has felt that way.  Three to four years ago, there was a gradual but tangible shift in tone of articles, FRL, and match coverage, going from sport growth and objective enthusiasm-mindedness to infighting, social-media gossip, and least common denominator sh*t-stirring.  FRL is the prime example of this change.  

In the past, if you, Mr Spey, or a Mr Bader were present on any episode, I could guarantee you I would listen to that episode front to back, and I would hear about and learn about wrestling.  The amount of wrestling that actually gets discussed in the average FRL episode now is between low and non-existent.  Instead, it is geared towards arbitrary reading of social media posts, sideways innuendos and derision, either outright or by omission.  

My litmus test for content and tenor is, if I were a High School coach, would I guide my guys towards Flo to improve their wrestling and bolster their enthusiasm for the sport?  Five years ago it was an unequivocal yes, and I did so in droves because Flo had the best technique repository, coaches interviews, and event coverage.  New wrestlers could learn about the world of wrestling, Flo was the perfect guide to every level of the sport.

Today? I’m sorry to say no, I would not make this same recommendation. Partially because Flo videos quite often don’t load properly and the website has become very difficult to navigate. The event listing in FloArena is a mess, to the extent I would avoid that page at all costs. It doesn’t populate all that logically, and has WAY too many dropdown tabs.  That’s the website end.  

Mainly, however, I would not recommend my guys go to Flo because I have less than complete faith that a new wrestler wouldn’t get sucked down some rabbithole about bickering, instagram posts and twitter fights.  I understand it’s good for the wrestlers that get quoted when you do that, but for the consumer, it’s a lot of chaff to sort through.  

Flo has gone from being the unequivocal king of wrestling media, the CBS/PBS/NYT/SportsIllustrated all in one,  to what feels much more like a checkout aisle tabloid of sarcasm and gossip that is tangentially related to wrestlers.  I understand that there is push to create content bc of competition and marketshare under current ownership, but since you are overhauling the website, maybe you could separate the gossip content from the real wrestling stuff in a very clearly defined manner?  As it is/was, there was no way to tell what the next article you scroll through will be, they are entirely unrelated except for the fact that they are Flo content.

Flo was the homepage for wrestling, there was nowhere else to be.  I hope sincerely it finds that stride again, because it was a lot of fun and was great for the sport.

Edited by Drew87

29 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

Three to four years ago, there was a gradual but tangible shift in tone of articles, FRL, and match coverage, going from sport growth and objective enthusiasm-mindedness to infighting, social-media gossip, and least common denominator sh*t-stirring.

35 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

rabbithole about bickering, instagram posts and twitter fights.  I understand it’s good for the wrestlers that get quoted when you do that, but for the consumer, it’s a lot of chaff to sort through.  

You definitely put a lot of time in to your last post, which is flattering, but this is total nonsense. Not sure what your axe is to grind with Flo but the fact that you either believe this or are pretending to is very telling. 

There are other people that also like to pretend this is true as well. there is no evidence for it but thats social media for you. such is life in 2021.

anyway, still appreciate the feedback on FloArena. The plan is to totally revamp that part of the site (now supercharged with trackwrestling data) so hopefully there will be something good coming soon. 

Will try to improve the rest of the content as well. no promises but plan remains the same!

Spey seems like one of those fake smart guys. I remember the time he wrote a story that cited some research professor that didn’t actually exist - since I share that profession, it was easy to debunk.

He really isn’t the ideal candidate to log on here to dismiss the criticisms of Flo. One has to hand it to him though: he toes the company line but it isn’t a long-run equilibrium. Flo is losing ground fast. 

Spey, I am a recent former Flo subscriber. I just let my subscription lapse about 2 or 3 weeks ago after 4 or 5 years. For me the reasons were three fold.

1. I was unhappy with what I viewed as a heavy handed attempt to quash competition with the Willie Saylor lawsuit.

2. The loss of Big 10 wrestling made it such that there was less content that I cared about. While picking up UWW was nice, it was not as important to me. And in some cases, did not matter. For example, I watched the trials on Peacock (yes, I know, USAW, but international nonetheless). And I will watch the Olympics on broadcast.

3. FRL has become less interesting to me. While I don't mind some of the silliness about things like crypto, Brittney Spears, haunchies, etc., I do feel there has been a loss of balance, with too much silliness and not enough serious content. And while I have advocated giving development time to new content providers, so far I have not seen the hoped for development.

I was recently offered a 20% discount to re-subscribe and may do that, but at the moment I am leaning toward not. I appreciate your engagement on this board.

Edited by Wrestleknownothing

I hate to see bad sportsmanship promoted. The flo Instagram and twitter has posted a decent amount of it....the tired Yazdani video is my least favorite....a class act multiple time world champ looses first round....walking away, most likely very disappointed, and you guys stalk him to get a video to post on the internet with a caption that border line mocks him.....bad look

Even worse I hate when it is fake or forced. When a match genuily has some conflict and fireworks it is fun to watch. But when a match or event has forced drama ot trash talk.....the 180 eight man seeding.... Burger King girl victory speech.....it can be cringy and gross. It stinks for young kids getting involved to see situations like that promoted because some kids (not all) will think that is the way wrestling is and act that way or try to get a clip that will get posted. 

Edited by Wrestlefan11

2 hours ago, Jaroslav Hasek said:

You definitely put a lot of time in to your last post, which is flattering, but this is total nonsense. Not sure what your axe is to grind with Flo but the fact that you either believe this or are pretending to is very telling. 

Don’t be flattered, I took the time to write for wrestling, not for you.  

And I believe I made my proverbial axe extremely clear, along with my appreciation for a lot of what Flo has done and accomplished over the years. 

Unless you didn’t actually read what I wrote, then it would be tough to know.

Don’t be flattered, I took the time to write for wrestling, not for you.  
And I believe I made my proverbial axe extremely clear, along with my appreciation for a lot of what Flo has done and accomplished over the years. 
Unless you didn’t actually read what I wrote, then it would be tough to know.

For what it’s worth, I thought what you wrote was spot on and without snark, not sure why Spey thinks you have an “axe” to grind as it was positive and negative feedback that was well written.

I myself cancelled my membership of long time due to exactly what you wrote and I’ll add 2 things that put me over the edge to have me cancel after many years..

1. Loss of B1G coverage
2. lack of any inside info at all since Willie left. I don’t listen to FRL hardly at all anymore because of this. If I have to hear Askren ask the boys about some rumors they are discussing, only to have the “boys” say, “I don’t know” or “just my guess,” is mind blowing to me. You’re supposed to be the biggest wrestling media company, ACT like it. Get some people that have inside knowledge and contacts so that every answer isn’t “just a guess.”

Like someone else mentioned. Flo has become like a tabloid gossip site

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Wrestleknownothing said:

I was recently offered a 20% discount to re-subscribe and may do that, but at the moment I am leaning toward not. I appreciate your engagement on this board.

20% off to resubscribe? Hmm my subscription is up in about a month.