Lurker

Just when I thought I was out....

After three years of reffing and, (up until about 10–12 days ago), 100% confident my coaching days were days of the past.....not so much. 

Perfect situation has arose at a school well established in Athletics and plenty of resources, but never had wrestling. Starting one next year, they came calling....by the time we got done with talks it’s a scenario I can’t pass up. 

Super excited, but I can’t tell anyone yet, so you guys get to be my social media for the weekend. This is the third program in the area I live that I’ve started from scratch.  I’m fired up for this one. 

‘pray’ for me. Cheers! 

Edited by Lurker

9 minutes ago, Lurker said:

After three years of reffing and, (up until about 10–12 days), 100% confident my coaching days were days of the past.....not so much. 

Perfect situation has arose at a school well established in Athletics and plenty of resources, but never had wrestling. Starting one next year, they came calling....by the time we got done with talks it’s a scenario I can’t pass up. 

Super excited, but I can’t tell anyone yet, so you guys get to be my social media for the weekend. This is the third program in the area I live that I’ve started from scratch.  I’m fired up for this one. 

‘pray’ for me. Cheers! 

Congrats!  That’s so awesome, new programs especially.  Wrestling fills a lot of holes for kids who don’t fit the more traditional sports paradigm.

23 minutes ago, Lurker said:

After three years of reffing and, (up until about 10–12 days), 100% confident my coaching days were days of the past.....not so much. 

‘pray’ for me. Cheers! 

Congratulations. I hope it is a big success.

6 hours ago, Lurker said:

‘pray’ for me. Cheers! 

Congratulations! What level of school? 

Nice to see, you putting yourself into the grass roots of the sport . Maybe only 10% of you guys around. A dedicated dying bread. 
Can’t say enough good things about this. Hope you can get help and you can rub some of this mojo onto others around you.  

11 hours ago, TexRef said:

Congratulations! What level of school? 

Private catholic school, about 750 enrollment.  I believe 15 state championships in 8 sports....  committed to athletics, former wrestlers in administration.

8 hours ago, southend said:

Nice to see, you putting yourself into the grass roots of the sport . Maybe only 10% of you guys around. A dedicated dying bread. 
Can’t say enough good things about this. Hope you can get help and you can rub some of this mojo onto others around you.  

Icing on the cake was wife (brand new wife) and kids.  Kids were super excited about the idea, even talked about how they missed me coaching and going to tournaments.  Took my by surprise a bit.  My wife (of exactly six weeks to the day) was an interesting dynamic.  At the last school I started up, was a brand new school, I was the first AD as well.  My wife's daughter played basketball (we first got together her sophomore year, after I had been gone a couple).  Our school has a rivalry with my new school, particularly in basketball, and suffice to say my wife has not been a big fan.  Prior to us being married in fact, she has written email to...my new boss, in regard to fan and player behavior at games.  It's actually quite funny.  But the candle in the icing was her being 100% behind it, even going as far as saying you HAVE to do this, "it would be a crime if you didn't take this on".    So that was that....

17 hours ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Congrats Lurker! There will always be opportunities for a good coach.... too bad this program couldnt find one ;)

If I knew how to do those little gif/meme thingies, I'd put up one where the whole theatre crowd stands up and applauds.

Well played sir, well played.

40 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Icing on the cake was wife (brand new wife) and kids.  Kids were super excited about the idea, even talked about how they missed me coaching and going to tournaments.  Took my by surprise a bit.  My wife (of exactly six weeks to the day) was an interesting dynamic.  At the last school I started up, was a brand new school, I was the first AD as well.  My wife's daughter played basketball (we first got together her sophomore year, after I had been gone a couple).  Our school has a rivalry with my new school, particularly in basketball, and suffice to say my wife has not been a big fan.  Prior to us being married in fact, she has written email to...my new boss, in regard to fan and player behavior at games.  It's actually quite funny.  But the candle in the icing was her being 100% behind it, even going as far as saying you HAVE to do this, "it would be a crime if you didn't take this on".    So that was that....

Congrats on the coaching job and even more on the new wife and family.  Rasslin' is important, but family is importanter!

19 hours ago, Lurker said:

After three years of reffing and, (up until about 10–12 days ago), 100% confident my coaching days were days of the past.....not so much. 

‘pray’ for me. Cheers! 

Are you sure you are still sadistic enough to be a wrestling coach? 

5 hours ago, Lurker said:

Private catholic school, about 750 enrollment.  I believe 15 state championships in 8 sports....  committed to athletics, former wrestlers in administration.

That's awesome! Congratulations!