11 minutes ago, TobusRex said:

I'd forgotten how sorry I felt for Dennis. The guy wrestled a great match against a guy who'd beaten him a couple times that year already. 

You hear so many complain about stalling, but it actually sucked for Dennis that he simply didn’t know how to do it. Hell, even Metcalf would go to his low crouch and hanging hands in short time.

Up 2 inside 15 seconds with no stall warnings, you should be seeing how many times you can complete a circle around the very outside perimeter of the mat.  Especially against a guy like Ness in the NCAA Finals!

5 hours ago, MSU158 said:

You hear so many complain about stalling, but it actually sucked for Dennis that he simply didn’t know how to do it. Hell, even Metcalf would go to his low crouch and hanging hands in short time.

Up 2 inside 15 seconds with no stall warnings, you should be seeing how many times you can complete a circle around the very outside perimeter of the mat.  Especially against a guy like Ness in the NCAA Finals!

Good observation and agree 100%. On one level his commitment to continuing to wrestle should be celebrated. On a slightly more important level he absolutely should have stalled though. 

4 hours ago, Perry said:

Good observation and agree 100%. On one level his commitment to continuing to wrestle should be celebrated. On a slightly more important level he absolutely should have stalled though. 

Iowa style prevented the win.

Just now, Drake_Mallard said:

Say what you want about Dennis, but I remember clearly thinking "this guy has come a long way since a freshman" that entire match. Of course he lost. It sucked, but Dennis remains one of my favorites Hawkeyes just because the dude grinded.

No doubt.  I was super impressed with how he controlled Gomez that year and Gomez was the defending champ.  Hell, he wrestled a phenomenal match against Ness and just didn't back down at the end.  I love that he wasn't wired that way, just sad that it cost him at the end.

1 hour ago, MSU158 said:

No doubt.  I was super impressed with how he controlled Gomez that year and Gomez was the defending champ.  Hell, he wrestled a phenomenal match against Ness and just didn't back down at the end.  I love that he wasn't wired that way, just sad that it cost him at the end.

That had to be a huge confidence builder for Dennis (beating Gomez).