MSU158

Dake may legitimately be the best current US wrestler there is, but.......

Wow he is out of his mind. Usually people who say this type of stuff are running a health scam, but he clearly believes it. I think this type of insane thinking actually helps his ability to compete by removing all self doubt, but it does not bode well for his future post-competition. 

11 minutes ago, flyingcement said:

Never heard him speak about non wrestling.  That was weird and unexpected.  Wrestlers are a unique breed of individual lol

Yeah, but I like that at least some can go without sounding like a complete dumbass. Not Dake. He leans into... then again I have not sifted through all the "information" or found out what does or does not defy what nature thinks.. What is it with Cornell grads? It seems like they are pumping out pseudo-intellectuals left and right. Thankfully we havent seen that from the REAL Ivy league schools.

Edited by Drake_Mallard

4 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Wow he is out of his mind. Usually people who say this type of stuff are running a health scam, but he clearly believes it. I think this type of insane thinking actually helps his ability to compete by removing all self doubt, but it does not bode well for his future post-competition. 

Is it crazy because you just don’t understand what he’s talking about or referring to?

I would posit that Kyle Dake knows a f*ckton more about the human body and cell biology than you do good sir.

Keep in mind, according to mainstream medical professionals, eggs were considered heart attack grenades 10 years ago and pasta was good, now pasta is evil and eggs are worth their weight in gold.

We live in an age where, because we do a few fancy things with electricity and the electromagnetic spectrum, we are suddenly incapable of admitting we don’t have all the answers.  Western science treats the human body like a car at an auto body shop, all while carrying around a boatload of topics and questions that doctors just shrug at and say “we don’t know”

EDIT: Apparently I missed a rather large topic about KD having some very sideways takes on all manner of things last year.  

Edited by Drew87

1 minute ago, Drew87 said:

Is it crazy because you just don’t understand what he’s talking about or referring to?

I would posit that Kyle Dake knows a f*ckton more about the human body and cell biology than you do good sir.

Keep in mind, according to mainstream medical professionals, eggs were considered heart attack grenades 10 years ago and pasta was good, now pasta is evil and eggs are worth their weight in gold.

We live in an age where, because we do a few fancy things with electricity and the electromagnetic spectrum, we are suddenly incapable of admitting we don’t have all the answers.  Western science treats the human body like a car at an auto body shop, all while carrying around a boatload of topics and questions that doctors just shrug at and say “we don’t know”

Dake knows enough to get himself into trouble when discussing these topics

14 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

So you believe that because professionals have been wrong before,  Kyle Dakes beliefs are equal to professionals? Or what exactly are you saying? This kind of anti intellectualism is a problem. 

5 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

So you believe that because professionals have been wrong before,  Kyle Dakes beliefs are equal to professionals? Or what exactly are you saying? This kind of anti intellectualism is a problem

Nah man, I’m saying it is misguided to place undue weight in the hands of professions that have less than 100 years of research to them, especially ones that have such wildly hit or miss results in their areas of expertise.  I don’t know what @Billyhoyle does as a profession, so if he is a cutting edge geneticist I will offer my apology.

Deciding who you think is an intellectual and who isn’t is arrogant and a herd-motivated mentality.  It is certainly easier, but I caution you in that conviction bc said intellectuals do not have your best interest at heart.  

I balk at labeling any group medical “experts” or “intellectuals” if they come from a system that is so enabled and entrenched that use of said system without insurance is the leading cause of personal bankruptcy in the country.  Incentives and motivations up and down our current medical system are sideways at best, perverse at worst.  

All I’m saying is, be open minded.  just because something seems to completely contradict your understanding of the workd doesn’t mean it’s wrong, it just means it is challenging and potentially frightening to contemplate the ramifications if it is right.

Just now, Drew87 said:

Nah man, I’m saying it is misguided to place undue weight in the hands of professions that have less than 100 years of research to them, especially ones that have such wildly hit or miss results in their areas of expertise.

What are the chances that, in a field that has less than 100 years of research,  some sociology major(Kyle Dake) has the answers? That seems way more misguided as chances are he has only read the entry level arguements and doesnt understand the deep and complicated nuance in biology. Kyle Dake doesnt even know what he doesnt know. 

3 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

What are the chances that, in a field that has less than 100 years of research,  some sociology major(Kyle Dake) has the answers? That seems way more misguided as chances are he has only read the entry level arguements and doesnt understand the deep and complicated nuance in biology. Kyle Dake doesnt even know what he doesnt know. 

Hey man, maybe go listen to him talk about how he got to where he is, there is over an hour of readily available video of him talking about it. 

All I’m saying is find what works for you, he has found what works for him. 

6 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

Deciding who you think is an intellectual and who isn’t is arrogant and a herd-motivated mentality.  It is certainly easier, but I caution you in that conviction bc said intellectuals do not have your best interest at heart.  

I balk at labeling any group medical “experts” or “intellectuals” if they come from a system that is so enabled and entrenched that use of said system without insurance is the leading cause of personal bankruptcy in the country.  Incentives and motivations up and down our current medical system are sideways at best, perverse at worst.  

Ummmm scientific theorys are tested thouroughly by others. Science isnt just some dude saying things. Youre painting this picture of a mad scientist making grandiose claims that he makes on a whim. Thats not how it works dude. Hypothesis is tested and then tested by peers over and over again. Yet, you have no faith in that system because why? Oh, because Dakes sociology degree means his opinion is just as valid. Yikes.

4 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

Hey man, maybe go listen to him talk about how he got to where he is, there is over an hour of readily available video of him talking about it. 

....yeah, but if you cant see he is a fool in this video, I question your judgment.

3 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Ummmm scientific theorys are tested thouroughly by others. Science isnt just some dude saying things. Youre painting this picture of a mad scientist making grandiose claims that he makes on a whim. Thats not how it works dude. Hypothesis is tested and then tested by peers over and over again. Yet, you have no faith in that system because why? Oh, because Dakes sociology degree means his opinion is just as valid. Yikes.

Believe what you want man, if you blindly believe the medical system I question how much interaction you’ve had with it.  Further, economic benefit and profit interwoven in a system of healing necessarily corrupts the system.  Go learn about insurance companies, hospitals, pharma companies, and their profit models before you give them a free pass because it’s “medicine”.

Also, go look at the meta-research on how many scientific findings from published papers can be recreated, the number is appallingly low.

Science led people to do some crazy sh*t, as has greed and self interest. Just because it’s happening doesn’t mean it’s good or correct.  Just because it’s called science doesn’t mean it isn’t being unduly influenced by the human beings with ulterior motives in the system.  Ulterior motives is practically the national slogan at this point.

And if you want to go in on degrees, did you stop learning when you graduated? And are you saying a bachelor's degree is a laudably high watermark of academic achievement? 

1 minute ago, Drew87 said:

Believe what you want man, if you blindly believe the medical system I question how much interaction you’ve had with it.  Further, economic benefit and profit interwoven in a system of healing necessarily corrupts the system.  Go learn about insurance companies, hospitals, pharma companies, and their profit models before you give them a free pass because it’s “medicine”.

Also, go look at the meta-research on how many scientific findings from published papers can be recreated, the number is appallingly low.

Science led people to do some crazy sh*t, as has greed and self interest. Just because it’s happening doesn’t mean it’s good or correct.  Just because it’s called science doesn’t mean it isn’t being unduly influenced by the human beings with ulterior motives in the system.  Ulterior motives is practically the national slogan at this point.

And if you want to go in on degrees, did you stop learning when you graduated? And are you saying a bachelor's degree is a laudably high watermark of academic achievement? 

... so you think Dake has some good points here? Why? Because science is wrong sometimes? Ok Mac.

Edited by Drake_Mallard

6 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

And are you saying a bachelor's degree is a laudably high watermark of academic achievement? 

On average someone with a degree and has expertise in a field is overwhelming more informed about that field than those that dont and its not even close. 

Its laughable you would argue against that.

Edited by Drake_Mallard

6 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

On average someone with a degree and has expertise in a field is overwhelming more informed about that field than those that dont and its not even close. 

Its laughable you would argue against that.

View the world how you like.  

The main thing I’m hearing through your words is that you have real world mastery of very many things yet, and you are self-taught in even less of those things.  The work to self-teach or on the job learn a subject better than someone who went to college for the same thing takes a year or two at most.   Bachelor’s degrees are not a low bar, but not a high bar either.

31 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

Some people succeed *despite* what they do.

Just now, Drew87 said:

View the world how you like.  

The main thing I’m hearing through your words is that you have real world mastery of very many things yet, and you are self-taught in even less of those things.  The work to self-teach or on the job learn a subject better than someone who went to college for the same thing takes a year or two at most.   Bachelor’s degrees are not a low bar, but not a high bar either.

Let me know when you start going to a doctor who is self taught. You wont, because you when your life is on the line you wouldnt risk it. Yet, its easy here to pretend youre super smart for rejecting experts when there are few risks, but I see your argument as equivalent to someone during a health crisis saying, "hey, whats Jenny McCarthy think about this?" Its just dumb.

9 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

The main thing I’m hearing through your words is that you have real world mastery of very many things yet, and you are self-taught in even less of those things.

No, Im not so arrogant as to think I can be an expert on everything. To pretend you can be, is embarrassing and you should rethink your life.

12 minutes ago, SamStall365247 said:

Speaking of out there - Jake Herbert had a pretty bad take on anxiety this morning and is currently getting torn apart on Twitter. Poor guy should have asked someone to proof the tweet before he sent it. 

He is a "life coach," right? So I am sure he has all the answers.

What is this tweet?