MSU158

Dake may legitimately be the best current US wrestler there is, but.......

1 minute ago, Billyhoyle said:

Does he believe the stuff about, “people with dark skin not thriving in the northern hemisphere” in a literal sense? Or was that also him being exploited? I’d agree with your point if stupid pseudoscience weren’t a pattern with him. 

I haven't seen or read that from him so I have no opinion. No idea what that even means. Sounds like a sociopolitical comment.

8 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

I haven't seen or read that from him so I have no opinion. No idea what that even means. Sounds like a sociopolitical comment.

Here you go. Giving him the benefit of the doubt on it, he was ignorantly supporting some very stupid pseudoscience. But there are some really awful political connotations behind the concept that people with dark skin can’t thrive in the northern hemisphere that I really hope he doesn’t support. Based on this reverse aging thing, I don’t think he does and instead think he’s just prone to believe stupid things. 

Edited by Billyhoyle

5 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

Here you go. Giving him the benefit of the doubt on it, he was ignorantly supporting some very stupid pseudoscience. But there are some really dark political connotations behind the concept that people with dark skin can’t thrive in the northern hemisphere that I really hope he doesn’t support. Based on this reverse aging thing, I don’t think he does and instead think he’s just prone to believe stupid things. 

Seems to confirm Pat Mineo's suspicion that Dake is headed to NLWC: https://www.psu.edu/impact/story/the-evolution-of-skin-color/

All kidding aside, I didn't listen to the link, just read your post, and at face value, if you look for bias in what you quoted, you can find it. It was a reprehensibly worded comment. From what I know of Dake, I don't think he's biased, and generally, he is well-intentioned, but he has absolutely no filter between brain and mouth and has no tact, which drives a lot of the hate he gets. What was the context behind what he meant by "thrive" and "struggle"? If he was using the words to discuss life in general, then case closed, he is either a bigot or a moron, take your pick. But if he was referring to health or wellness in general, I don't think your criticism is totally fair. Is it biased or even ignorant to say that skin pigmentation and therefore physiological response to sunlight varies?

29 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

Seems to confirm Pat Mineo's suspicion that Dake is headed to NLWC: https://www.psu.edu/impact/story/the-evolution-of-skin-color/

All kidding aside, I didn't listen to the link, just read your post, and at face value, if you look for bias in what you quoted, you can find it. It was a reprehensibly worded comment. From what I know of Dake, I don't think he's biased, and generally, he is well-intentioned, but he has absolutely no filter between brain and mouth and has no tact, which drives a lot of the hate he gets. What was the context behind what he meant by "thrive" and "struggle"? If he was using the words to discuss life in general, then case closed, he is either a bigot or a moron, take your pick. But if he was referring to health or wellness in general, I don't think your criticism is totally fair. Is it biased or even ignorant to say that skin pigmentation and therefore physiological response to sunlight varies?

It is not biased or even ignorant to say that.  It IS biased or event ignorant to say the physiological response to sunlight determines where a person can thrive.  It is outrageous.

Just now, Plasmodium said:

It is not biased or even ignorant to say that.  It IS biased or event ignorant to say the physiological response to sunlight determines where a person can thrive.  It is outrageous.

That's why context is important. As I said, if he was making a general comment ... agreed. But I've seen Dake go down rabbit holes and assume people follow his train of thought, as if he has mild Aspergers, without being careful with his words. I'm not trying to defend him, if that's not obvious from the way I just described him. I just don't buy that he's biased or that those specific words were meant outside of the physiological context. Maybe he is, but I've never seen anything that would indicate such behavior. The guy talks about telomeres, the solar callus, and walks around barefoot and shirtless the majority of the time. I think it was in that context that he said what he said.

13 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

That's why context is important. As I said, if he was making a general comment ... agreed. But I've seen Dake go down rabbit holes and assume people follow his train of thought, as if he has mild Aspergers, without being careful with his words. I'm not trying to defend him, if that's not obvious from the way I just described him. I just don't buy that he's biased or that those specific words were meant outside of the physiological context. Maybe he is, but I've never seen anything that would indicate such behavior. The guy talks about telomeres, the solar callus, and walks around barefoot and shirtless the majority of the time. I think it was in that context that he said what he said.

Even in a very narrow and strictly physiological context, the statement is demonstrably wrong.  So wrong it is a stupid thing to say.

11 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

One of the symptoms of Aspergers is being socially awkward, so you’re saying the same thing.

No Im not. People with a lot of success tend not to be corrected or redirected often. It doesnt mean they have aspergers. Haha wtf.

2 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

Even in a very narrow and strictly physiological context, the statement is demonstrably wrong.  So wrong it is a stupid thing to say.

You don’t think a guy who talks about the sun so much could’ve meant that darker skin helps protect against the sun and lighter skin has its own benefits such as helping with Vitamin D synthesis? Obviously there all types of interventions that make those issues largely irrelevant for those aware enough to recognize them, but what’s so stupid about that take? Again, not defending the guy, but I think suggesting bias is a little much given the context of how Dake lives his life. 

2 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

No Im not. People with a lot of success tend not to be corrected or redirected often. It doesnt mean they have aspergers. Haha wtf.

That what “AS IF” means. He doesn’t have it. He sometimes speaks AS IF he had it. 

3 minutes ago, wrestlingnerd said:

You don’t think a guy who talks about the sun so much could’ve meant that darker skin helps protect against the sun and lighter skin has its own benefits such as helping with Vitamin D synthesis? Obviously there all types of interventions that make those issues largely irrelevant for those aware enough to recognize them, but what’s so stupid about that take? Again, not defending the guy, but I think suggesting bias is a little much given the context of how Dake lives his life. 

That is not what he said.  'Thrive' and 'Struggle' are his words.  At least listen to what he said.

17 minutes ago, Plasmodium said:

That is not what he said.  'Thrive' and 'Struggle' are his words.  At least listen to what he said.

Look, I get what those words can mean. I just don't agree he said them maliciously. From an evolutionary perspective, those words make more sense. In the current world, they are clumsy at best and racially charged at worst. I see them as the former, not the latter, in this context. I get your point.

19 hours ago, Drake_Mallard said:

That would make a lot of sense, but why does he constantly act like he is privy to some super secret info that no one else is ready for yet? 

Does he really?  Or does he answer questions that have been asked of him?  

I'm also curious as to why you are now saying he's acting like his is privy to some super secret info, when earlier in this thread you quoted his saying there is a ton of information out there to sift through.  Kind of contradicting yourself (again), aren't you?  

Waddle along little ducky.

18 hours ago, Plasmodium said:

19 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Here you go. Giving him the benefit of the doubt on it, he was ignorantly supporting some very stupid pseudoscience. But there are some really awful political connotations behind the concept that people with dark skin can’t thrive in the northern hemisphere that I really hope he doesn’t support. Based on this reverse aging thing, I don’t think he does and instead think he’s just prone to believe stupid things. 

One problem though, unless I read something wrong or missed something, he never said "can't thrive" at higher altitude.  He talked about it being more of a challenge, but the quote even ended with him saying "you can make it work though".

So where our we getting that he said "can't thrive"

6 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Does he really?  Or does he answer questions that have been asked of him?  

I'm also curious as to why you are now saying he's acting like his is privy to some super secret info, when earlier in this thread you quoted his saying there is a ton of information out there to sift through.  Kind of contradicting yourself (again), aren't you?  

Waddle along little ducky.

So confrontational all the time haha. Lighten up Lurker. 

Anyways, nah, Im definitely not contradicting myself — not really sure why you would even think that.

He has done just sooooo much research, sifted through all the information, but just cant tell us what expert advice he is actually listening to..... then goes on incoherently rambling about how some people have great info and others dont, but doesnt say anything about who those people are and what the info is. Us plebes are just left to figure out what all that means. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

One problem though, unless I read something wrong or missed something, he never said "can't thrive" at higher altitude.  He talked about it being more of a challenge, but the quote even ended with him saying "you can make it work though".

So where our we getting that he said "can't thrive"

This is true, he said he said "struggle" rather than "can't thrive".  It is absurd. 

I just realized something. The duck is fighting against the potential quack quack quackery…

I grew up in a MLM supplement company household. Claims like Dakes make me skeptical out of habit. 

on other hand. Academia can be very annoying and condescending prigs… slow to adopt new ideas..

they are still better supported and better researched than the vast vast majority of the “skeptics” like those on this thread 

I’d probably be more okay with the “skepticism” if the majority of the people I know pushing it hadn’t peaked in high school 

In one of his Flo-episodes, he talks about bio-hacking.  I watched a Netflix documentary and it seems to be about hacking your genetics with a “gene splicer” to give you enhanced physical attributes.  Specifically by using the CRISPR protein to splice into DNA and add or delete a gene.  One such “therapy” is using CRISPR to splice into DNA at the Myostatin gene to block myostatin production.  Myostatin is what blocks muscles from getting bigger.  If you delete that, your muscles will get bigger without the need to lift weights.  If you amplify Myostatin production, your muscles will decrease (like muscular dystrophy).

The medical field sees this as a way to cure disease.  However, you can order a “do it yourself” CRISPR kit and get massive, if you wanted.

4 minutes ago, Cptafw164 said:

In one of his Flo-episodes, he talks about bio-hacking.  I watched a Netflix documentary and it seems to be about hacking your genetics with a “gene splicer” to give you enhanced physical attributes.  Specifically by using the CRISPR protein to splice into DNA and add or delete a gene.  One such “therapy” is using CRISPR to splice into DNA at the Myostatin gene to block myostatin production.  Myostatin is what blocks muscles from getting bigger.  If you delete that, your muscles will get bigger without the need to lift weights.  If you amplify Myostatin production, your muscles will decrease (like muscular dystrophy).

The medical field sees this as a way to cure disease.  However, you can order a “do it yourself” CRISPR kit and get massive, if you wanted.

Myostatin-and-Muscle-Building-800x380_c.