Sign in to follow this  

14 hours ago, tigerfan said:

Holy smokes, J’Cox gets his revenge after all. That dude has a direct line to the Big Guy. I wouldn’t want to cross him. 

What a horrible take.  

Wouldn't the "Big Guy" make sure the other big guy set his alarm and ate one fewer pizzas the night before if he were interested in Cox wrestling in the Olympics.  Wouldn't that be easier than infecting thousands and thousands of Japanese?

One of the reasons I've seen for slow vaccine rollout in Japan is the fact that only vaccines that have had clinical trials in Japan can be approved, and the country has thus far not made any changes to the approval process. They now have Pfizer, Moderna, and Astra Zeneca approved, but they were late on all three.

It's also important to have some perspective on case and death numbers. Japan has had about 12,000 total deaths with half since February. Since February, there have been roughly 121,000 deaths in the US. The population of the US is about 2.6 times that of Japan. This surge is a serious issue that needs to be handled, but it isn't like the virus is raging out of control. If the US had the same stats as Japan right now, we'd be talking about how the pandemic is over. The 7-day average of cases, normalized for population, is twice as high here as it is there.

I hope our Olympians are vaccinated. The side effects of the shot can affect training for a day or two, depending on the person. I had no side effects but a sore arm, but I have coworkers who missed work the day after the second shot, and none of us are trying to win medals. 

22 hours ago, AHamilton said:

What a horrible take.  

Wouldn't the "Big Guy" make sure the other big guy set his alarm and ate one fewer pizzas the night before if he were interested in Cox wrestling in the Olympics.  Wouldn't that be easier than infecting thousands and thousands of Japanese?

It was simply an attempt at edgy comedy. I’ll stick to my day job, lol. 

21 hours ago, uncle bernard said:

You could at least pretend you aren't giddy about this. I think J'Den would find it pretty distasteful.

He would, simply because he and I have different views on religion. But he’s also capable of respecting those who don’t share his views, which is a rare thing these days. 

21 hours ago, IronChef said:

One of the reasons I've seen for slow vaccine rollout in Japan is the fact that only vaccines that have had clinical trials in Japan can be approved, and the country has thus far not made any changes to the approval process. They now have Pfizer, Moderna, and Astra Zeneca approved, but they were late on all three.

It's also important to have some perspective on case and death numbers. Japan has had about 12,000 total deaths with half since February. Since February, there have been roughly 121,000 deaths in the US. The population of the US is about 2.6 times that of Japan. This surge is a serious issue that needs to be handled, but it isn't like the virus is raging out of control. If the US had the same stats as Japan right now, we'd be talking about how the pandemic is over. The 7-day average of cases, normalized for population, is twice as high here as it is there.

I hope our Olympians are vaccinated. The side effects of the shot can affect training for a day or two, depending on the person. I had no side effects but a sore arm, but I have coworkers who missed work the day after the second shot, and none of us are trying to win medals. 

I like the math IronChef...much better way to look at the issue other than reading "Outbreak", "Surge in deaths", etc.  I do have a question, I wonder if Japan counts "Covid deaths" the same as the US does?

9 minutes ago, dman115 said:

I like the math IronChef...much better way to look at the issue other than reading "Outbreak", "Surge in deaths", etc.  I do have a question, I wonder if Japan counts "Covid deaths" the same as the US does?

There's a huge misconception about how US count's covid deaths.

1 hour ago, tigerfan said:

He would, simply because he and I have different views on religion. But he’s also capable of respecting those who don’t share his views, which is a rare thing these days. 

Lol, no idea what religion has to do with it. I'm not religious either. Rooting for the olympics to get cancelled because your favorite wrestler isn't on the team is just being a miserable *******. 

Frankly, I'd spend more time worrying whether your team is ever going to wrestle to seed at ncaas.

While I "have no dog in this fight," I have lived in Japan and love the culture and people. One framework of comparison of Japan and the US that always helped me understand a seminal difference in the living conditions is that while Japan is roughly the land mass of California, Japan has about half of the population of the US. And too, Japan has a lot of mountains that are not inhabitable and thus, the population is further condensed into yet an even smaller area. Suffice to say, the Japanese culture reflects those realities - they are typically a very cooperative group and take orders well. 

11 hours ago, npope said:

While I "have no dog in this fight," I have lived in Japan and love the culture and people. One framework of comparison of Japan and the US that always helped me understand a seminal difference in the living conditions is that while Japan is roughly the land mass of California, Japan has about half of the population of the US. And too, Japan has a lot of mountains that are not inhabitable and thus, the population is further condensed into yet an even smaller area. Suffice to say, the Japanese culture reflects those realities - they are typically a very cooperative group and take orders well. 

Very accurate on the geography. Not a big fan of the country and their culture though. 

14 hours ago, npope said:

The impression I get of Japan is that it is great to visit Japan, but it is not always so great living in Japan if you are from Japan.  

8 hours ago, Drew87 said:

The impression I get of Japan is that it is great to visit Japan, but it is not always so great living in Japan if you are from Japan.  

You have it backwards. Japan is one of the best countries to live in for Japanese. High standard of living. Beautiful, clean country. Economic powerhouse. Tremendous education and healthcare. But it is very insular. Not so friendly to foreigners. 

8 hours ago, Drew87 said:

Oh, I wholly agree - being Japanese and living in Japan comes with all sorts of social expectations that would certainly wear me down. That said, I am a white guy so I am easily differentiable from the locals. The Japanese are very aware of their race and do differentiate based on it - they even have a word for "we, the Japanese" when talking about how they might be different from other cultures/races. As a foreigner in Japan I was forgiven for my many clumsy social transgressions, e.g. forgetting to bow, bowing inappropriately, trying to start a conversation with someone "above my status," etc. The culture possesses all sorts of social rules and expectations but they cut me slack because there was an expectation that I was ignorant of the nuances and well, because I simply wasn't as cultured as the Japanese. But overall, the people treated my very kindly and I very much enjoyed the refined culture the Japanese possess. I am sure that, if foreigners were going to Japan at sometime other than during a pandemic they would have a unique and largely positive experience. During a pandemic...I suspect the Japanese might be even a bit more "phobic" than usual.

2 hours ago, npope said:

trying to start a conversation with someone "above my status,

Aw man. That’s nuts, so for example in a work setting can you not just walk up and talk with your boss?

2 hours ago, Drew87 said:

Aw man. That’s nuts, so for example in a work setting can you not just walk up and talk with your boss?

Not nuts. Depending on the situation, approaching someone not on your "level" can be considered impolite. It doesn't mean that you can NEVER approach someone on a different level but rather, you have to use good judgement as to when it might be appropriate, i.e. the difference in social strata isn't too great. We have a similar structure here in the US, albeit perhaps not so rigid. Consider for example in the US if you worked for a large corporation and you were a relatively low level employee who happened to step on the elevator with the CEO. Are you going to tell me that striking up a conversation with the CEO out of the blue is the norm here in the US? The Japanese would think long and hard about doing anything other than offering a quick respectful bow to acknowledge the senior person's presence.

On 5/29/2021 at 6:53 AM, npope said:

California has a lot of mountains you can't live in also. 14,000 foot peaks and vast deserts as well. Death Valley at 232 feet below sea level to Mt. Whitney at 14,505 above. Compare the livable areas and you are comparable.

29 minutes ago, npope said:

Not nuts. Depending on the situation, approaching someone not on your "level" can be considered impolite. It doesn't mean that you can NEVER approach someone on a different level but rather, you have to use good judgement as to when it might be appropriate, i.e. the difference in social strata isn't too great. We have a similar structure here in the US, albeit perhaps not so rigid. Consider for example in the US if you worked for a large corporation and you were a relatively low level employee who happened to step on the elevator with the CEO. Are you going to tell me that striking up a conversation with the CEO out of the blue is the norm here in the US? The Japanese would think long and hard about doing anything other than offering a quick respectful bow to acknowledge the senior person's presence.

That makes sense, in Japan does such consideration extend to all of society rather than being confined to certain structured environments like a corporate setting?

4 minutes ago, Drew87 said:

That makes sense, in Japan does such consideration extend to all of society rather than being confined to certain structured environments like a corporate setting?

Japanese culture is predicated on Confucian ethics that require respect of age and status. These principles permeate all aspects of their culture - at home, at work, at play, at school, etc. That doesn't mean that everyone always exemplifies those ideals, but it is the foundation on which Japanese society operates. When a cluster of unacquainted Japanese meet in the business world the first thing they do is to exchange and read each others' business cards so that, in large part, they can immediately understand the social hierarchy that dictates how they treat/act toward one another; the aged, those with higher rank, etc., are accorded more deference. As Americans, we tend to want to offer deference to those we perceive to have "accomplished" relatively more, as opposed to focusing on age, etc. Just a nuanced difference. And too, what we consider to be deference may differ from what the Japanese might consider deference.

Anyway, I digress. I am sure that anyone going to Japan for the Olympics will be perplexed on any number of occasions as they make their way around the country. While the pandemic may impose some distortions on typical Japanese behavior, one aspect of their culture for which they take great pride is not showing their emotions, especially negative emotions. If you offend them while you are there they will likely chalk it up to you being an unwitting foreigner and likely never change their facial expression to give you any suspicion that you've done something wrong. 

Best wishes for safe travels to all who might go - shame that we still have this pandemic hanging over us.

1 hour ago, Casper said:

California has a lot of mountains you can't live in also. 14,000 foot peaks and vast deserts as well. Death Valley at 232 feet below sea level to Mt. Whitney at 14,505 above. Compare the livable areas and you are comparable.

No doubt CA has a similar issue. Only 33% of Japan is habitable. That would suggest that you take half the population of the US and put it in about one-third of California and then you have what it's like to live in Japan.

10 hours ago, wrestlingnerd said:

You have it backwards. Japan is one of the best countries to live in for Japanese. High standard of living. Beautiful, clean country. Economic powerhouse. Tremendous education and healthcare. But it is very insular. Not so friendly to foreigners. 

This is 100% right. It doesn't matter if you speak the language flawlessly and know the customs. You'll always be a foreigner and second class to them. There's ethnic Koreans who are 2nd and 3rd generation who can't advance in society because they aren't Japanese, despite having been born there and don't know any other country. 

1 hour ago, TripNSweep said:

This is 100% right. It doesn't matter if you speak the language flawlessly and know the customs. You'll always be a foreigner and second class to them. There's ethnic Koreans who are 2nd and 3rd generation who can't advance in society because they aren't Japanese, despite having been born there and don't know any other country. 

If it was so excellent, wouldn’t birth rates be a tad higher?

1 hour ago, TripNSweep said:

Even though Koreans have attempted to go by Japanese names.  Do they still have to carry ID cards identifying them as Koreans?  And aren't many of them descendants of Koreans brought there as slave labor during WW2?