Sign in to follow this  
Drake_Mallard

If Spencer L., Yianni D., David Carr....

If Spencer L., Yianni D., David Carr, A.J. Ferrari,  Carter S. and Aaron Brooks all win 4 titles, is it good or bad for wrestling? I dont know how I feel about a huge influx of 4xers.

Edited by Drake_Mallard

It’s a sign of decreasing depth. With a smidgen of dominance. I don’t think many people have thought through or realize the implications of the increasing lack of competitive depth across the board

2 minutes ago, jp157 said:

It’s a sign of decreasing depth. With a smidgen of dominance. I don’t think many people have thought through or realize the implications of the increasing lack of competitive depth across the board

How do you fix it? I still think a dual team tourney helps as it showcases more teams. 

2 minutes ago, jp157 said:

I would have to disagree with you  - I don't see believe it shows lack of depth in college.  It is due to the fact that the best guys are coming out of high school much more college ready as far as their technique goes.  I would attribute that to better coaching at the high school level and access to practice with higher level college and senior competitors through RTCs and Clubs. I think the guys mentioned above as freshmen compare pretty well to past NCAA champs in those weights.  I expect we will continue to see the top guys compete well right off the bat especially if they can spend significant time in the college room/RTC prior to suiting up.  

1 hour ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Im not gonna like it... if Carter S. gets 4 but loses one year does he get an asterisk in the 4 timers club? 4/4 > 4/5 in my opinion

Definitely an asterisk. However, there is a long ways to go fur all these guys to be 4X. Who would have thought you have this conversation without Gable in the mix. 

10 hours ago, Drake_Mallard said:

If Spencer L., Yianni D., David Carr, A.J. Ferrari,  Carter S. and Aaron Brooks all win 4 titles, is it good or bad for wrestling? I dont know how I feel about a huge influx of 4xers.

How old will Yianni be?  And on a somewhat related note, how old will Vito be when his eligibility is done?  Didn't Koll insinuate that people who take 6-7 years to use their eligibility are basically losers? Will these two just "get on with their lives?"

5 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

How old will Yianni be?  And on a somewhat related note, how old will Vito be when his eligibility is done?  Didn't Koll insinuate that people who take 6-7 years to use their eligibility are basically losers? Will these two just "get on with their lives?"

Which is funny, because werent Ivys on the table for Kemmerer? I blame koll for his ag school grads thinking they are smarter than they are. He loves talking about how smart his team is, and the Cornell grads are consistently saying the dumbest ****.

Edited by Drake_Mallard

1 minute ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Which is funny, because werent Ivys on the table for Kemmerer? 

Yes, and imagine if Max Dean stayed at Cornell? Graduated HS in 2016 and has two years left (plus a redshirt?)

Im not gonna like it... if Carter S. gets 4 but loses one year does he get an asterisk in the 4 timers club? 4/4 > 4/5 in my opinion

Isn't that already a possibility for Carr?

3 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Isn't that already a possibility for Carr?

Yes if Carr wins his next 3 years @ NCAAs he will be a 4X Champ with one 3rd place finish.  AJ like CStar could do it if he drops one of the next 4.

8 hours ago, Drake_Mallard said:

How do you fix it? I still think a dual team tourney helps as it showcases more teams. 

8 hours ago, lu1979 said:

I would have to disagree with you  - I don't see believe it shows lack of depth in college.  It is due to the fact that the best guys are coming out of high school much more college ready as far as their technique goes.  I would attribute that to better coaching at the high school level and access to practice with higher level college and senior competitors through RTCs and Clubs. I think the guys mentioned above as freshmen compare pretty well to past NCAA champs in those weights.  I expect we will continue to see the top guys compete well right off the bat especially if they can spend significant time in the college room/RTC prior to suiting up.  

I’m aware there is better coaching available to young kids. The lack of competitive depth overall is an issue at every level, not just college.

If you want to make the question about how to make that high level coaching more accessible. That’s fine. The the decreasing lack of competitive depth is occurring across the board

How does anyone conclude that there is a lack of competitive depth? It might be true, but how can you tell.

Aside from (maybe) Pat Smith, the 4-timers have proven their excellence in world competition either at the junior level before college or after college. It's not like only pretty good guys have accomplished this feat.

I don't understand the asterisk. If Carter S. or David Carr win the next three, they will have won four in four chances. Just because they were in college in  year that there was no tournament would not diminish their achievement (if they wind up achieving it). To me, it would be like a redshirt or a second redshirt year.

22 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I don't understand the asterisk. If Carter S. or David Carr win the next three, they will have won four in four chances. Just because they were in college in  year that there was no tournament would not diminish their achievement (if they wind up achieving it). To me, it would be like a redshirt or a second redshirt year.

Im saying if they get 4 in 5 shots, there should be an asterisk... its less against that person and more to put the others in perspect... 4 out of 4 tries. 

33 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

Im saying if they get 4 in 5 shots, there should be an asterisk... its less against that person and more to put the others in perspect... 4 out of 4 tries. 

What if they win 4 out of the first 4 tries, but lose the 5th??  Hmmm??

5 minutes ago, dman115 said:

What if they win 4 out of the first 4 tries, but lose the 5th??  Hmmm??

I guess I would have to evaluate when I get there. Thats 4/4.... and honestly how many of our current 4 timers would not have won given a 5th year? I would be shocked if that happened.

11 minutes ago, Drake_Mallard said:

I guess I would have to evaluate when I get there. Thats 4/4.... and honestly how many of our current 4 timers would not have won given a 5th year? I would be shocked if that happened.

Agreed.  I am not sure how I feel about it all, other than winning 1 to me is an unbelievable feat...heck, just AA'ing is amazing.  Winning 4 is the 1%'ers of the 1%'ers.

7 hours ago, AHamilton said:

Koll didn't insinuate that at all.  You probably knew that, though.

Yianni and Vito are both 22 (more or less, depending on their actual birthdays) right now.  Vito will be 25 when his eligibility is done.  And both took an ORS (not for losers) and had a year taken from them by COVID (again, not for losers).

5 minutes ago, klehner said:

Koll didn't insinuate that at all.  You probably knew that, though.

Yianni and Vito are both 22 (more or less, depending on their actual birthdays) right now.  Vito will be 25 when his eligibility is done.  And both took an ORS (not for losers) and had a year taken from them by COVID (again, not for losers).

You're right, he just flat out said it lol.

"Get a life. At some point in time, you're 27 years old wrestling 18 year old kids. I'm not sure what the accomplishment is." 

8 hours ago, lu1979 said:

Yes if Carr wins his next 3 years @ NCAAs he will be a 4X Champ with one 3rd place finish.  AJ like CStar could do it if he drops one of the next 4.

what do you mean by 3rd place finish? his 2020 NCAA seed? 

i like that for some purposes but idk if i like it in this conversation. 

Edited by Husker_Du

1 hour ago, Husker_Du said:

what do you mean by 3rd place finish? his 2020 NCAA seed? 

i like that for some purposes but idk if i like it in this conversation. 

Yeah you can't blame him for not winning a tournament that didn't happen lol.

4 minutes ago, uncle bernard said:

Yeah you can't blame him for not winning a tournament that didn't happen lol.

It's amazing the excuses that people come up with.  He could have developed a cure or found a way to blackmail the NCAA and force their hand into allowing competition.  We all have a reason why we didn't succeed.  This is just getting laughable