IronChef

Long title droughts

I saw this tweet today from Minnesota, and I was struck by the fact that the last Gopher champ was Tony Nelson in 2013. If you had asked me when the last Minnesota champ had been, I probably would have guessed later than 2013, even if I couldn't say who it was. 

Got me thinking about last champs. Here's a list of the last Division I champ for each team. The 2021 champs last wins were Iowa (2019), Penn State (2019), OK St. (2017), Iowa State (2015), Minnesota (2013), Stanford (2004), UNC (1995). Please let me know if there are errors in the table below

Team Last Champ
Air Force 1967
American 2007
Appalachian State none
Arizona State 2019
Army 1963
Bellarmine none
Binghamton none
Bloomsburg 1987
Brown none
Bucknell none
Buffalo none
Cal Poly 1976
Campbell none
Central Michigan 1999
Chattanooga none
Clarion 1996
Cleveland State none
Columbia none
Cornell 2019
CSU Bakersfield 1999
Davidson none
Drexel none
Duke none
Edinboro 2009
Franklin & Marshall none
Gardner-Webb none
George Mason none
Harvard 2010
Hofstra 1977
Illinois 2016
Indiana 2008
Iowa 2021
Iowa State 2021
Kent State 2011
Lehigh 2017
Little Rock none
LIU none
Lock Haven 1997
Maryland 1969
Michigan 2012
Michigan State 2009
Minnesota 2021
Missouri 2017
Navy 1973
Nebraska 2011
North Carolina 2021
North Carolina State 2018
North Dakota State none
Northern Colorado none
Northern Illinois 1960
Northern Iowa 2019
Northwestern 2014
Ohio 1998
Ohio State 2018
Oklahoma 2015
Oklahoma State 2021
Oregon State 1996
Penn State 2021
Pennsylvania 2007
Pittsburgh 2008
Presbyterian none
Princeton 1951
Purdue 1992
Rider none
Rutgers 2019
Sacred Heart none
South Dakota State 2018
Southern Illinois Edwardsville none
Stanford 2021
The Citadel none
Utah Valley none
Virginia none
Virginia Tech 2019
VMI none
West Virginia 2005
Wisconsin 2010
Wyoming 1960

Edited by IronChef

So what team that hasn't had a champion this century is most likely to end the drought? Oregon State? Purdue? Maryland? 

Hard to believe it's been over 20 years for Central Michigan. 

2 hours ago, Henry said:

So what team that hasn't had a champion this century is most likely to end the drought? Oregon State? Purdue? Maryland? 

Princeton hasn't won since 1951?  Patrick Glory has an outside shot of ending that (but just an outside shot).

The west coast drought (outside of this year)  is disheartening,  especially with how populated that area is .   California,  Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nevada,  and Utah combined have less DI opportunities that North Carolina if I am not mistaken. 

Edited by Swayz

5 minutes ago, Swayz said:

The west coast drought (outside of this year)  is disheartening,  especially with how populated that area is .   California,  Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Nevada,  and Utah combined have less DI opportunities that North Carolina if I am not mistaken. 

There are 7 D1 wrestling teams in NC? 

12 minutes ago, Idaho said:

There are 7 D1 wrestling teams in NC? 

Yes.   They have 3 in the ACC 4 in the SoConn

When compared 1 on 1 vs California for 4 year programs per division North Carolina also has  more DII,  more DIII,   and more NAIA options one on one than a state with 1 hs tournament and 27.7 million more people! 

3 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Duke, UNC, NC State, Campbell, Gardner Webb, App State, Davidson

A majority have not had an NCAA DI champ,  but these teams do see some DI success periodically.   UNC, DUKE and NCState from ACC are obviously the cream of the crop from NC,  but Campbell and App State aren't to far behind.   GW and Davidson are lower tier, but academically very stringent like Duke and not the biggest draw, but have had some wonderful individuals come out of the programs.  

4 hours ago, Henry said:

My guess would be Princeton or Navy.  Princeton has been bringing in some high caliber recruits - they need one to break through - and Navy has Kolat coaching and I think he is going to develop some high end talent.  Also Cal Poly still has a few years left with Truax and I thought he was real impressive last year.  174 will be loaded but can he jump levels and overtake the field? 

33 minutes ago, southend said:

This just verifies, the rich get in richer this non revenue sport. Thus perpetuating the decline in D1 school numbers. Not the only factor.

You watch college football recently? Their system also perpetuates itself. Same 3-5 teams every single year

14 hours ago, ugarte said:

Gwiz leaving for NC State kept that "none" at Binghamton.

Not to knock Binghamton or any coaches theyve had since (I think the current staff will get a champ if they keep on what they have going now) - but I dont think Gwiz becomes what he is now/in college without Pat Pop, and Beasley. He certainly could have obviously, but to jump from 8th, to champ 2x + another finals appearance (losing only to Snyder in a TIGHT one) is pretty insane, and I just dont know if it happens without that staff. 

1 hour ago, iGranby said:

Not to knock Binghamton or any coaches theyve had since (I think the current staff will get a champ if they keep on what they have going now) - but I dont think Gwiz becomes what he is now/in college without Pat Pop, and Beasley. He certainly could have obviously, but to jump from 8th, to champ 2x + another finals appearance (losing only to Snyder in a TIGHT one) is pretty insane, and I just dont know if it happens without that staff. 

Gwiz probably would've went 8th, 6th, 5th, 4th at NCAAs if he'd stayed at Binghamton. 

2 hours ago, TobusRex said:

Might as well face it: without JRob the Gophers ain't jack ****. 

This. I don’t know the full deal of whatever happened, but it is a real disservice to the wrestling community that he is not more present and accessible.  He is as relevant and important as John Smith or Dan Gable, but I think a heck of a lot more thoughtful about life as a human being rather than just wrestling.