IronChef

Long title droughts

2 hours ago, Drew87 said:

This. I don’t know the full deal of whatever happened, but it is a real disservice to the wrestling community that he is not more present and accessible.  He is as relevant and important as John Smith or Dan Gable, but I think a heck of a lot more thoughtful about life as a human being rather than just wrestling. 

He covered up a drug-dealing ring.

1 hour ago, BadgerMon said:

Or....he fell on his sword to give his (idiot) wrestlers a chance at  a good life instead of the felony albatross about their necks.

Especially if one of the people responsible is who I think they are. They got a chance to continue wrestling and have success

On 5/26/2021 at 6:21 PM, Swayz said:

A majority have not had an NCAA DI champ,  but these teams do see some DI success periodically.   UNC, DUKE and NCState from ACC are obviously the cream of the crop from NC,  but Campbell and App State aren't to far behind.   GW and Davidson are lower tier, but academically very stringent like Duke and not the biggest draw, but have had some wonderful individuals come out of the programs.  

Not sure if Duke wrestling and “cream of the crop” belong in the same sentence.   Campbell and App State probably beat them in most recent years.

Unfortunately NC State, UNC, Campbell or Duke don’t tend to have many NC guys on the roster/starting though, although App State does.

Speaking of droughts I believe Mike Mach was the first ever D1 champ that went to HS in NC.  They don’t have a ton of depth but they’re definitely improving.

On 5/26/2021 at 3:22 PM, Chucktown_Luke said:

I think Virginia is the most surprising team to never have a national champion.

They have had 4 runner ups, including 2 in the last 4 seasons and their head coach.

1 hour ago, Lunaticfringe said:

How does Jack Bass not have his name at the front of the line?

He was no longer at UM, he was someone else’s problem at ODU.  He was definitely involved, just no longer a Gopher.

13 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

How does Jack Bass not have his name at the front of the line?

12 hours ago, WresFan89 said:

He was no longer at UM, he was someone else’s problem at ODU.  He was definitely involved, just no longer a Gopher.

Jack Bass AA'd for NAIA Life University this past season.

On 5/26/2021 at 6:15 PM, IronChef said:

Duke, UNC, NC State, Campbell, Gardner Webb, App State, Davidson

I still cannot figure out why NC as a state is not really getting better at wrestling at the younger ages.  I think the state only sent 5 guys to NCAA's this year and is a rapidly growing state in population.

But proof that 7 D1 programs and a growing population proves that has nothing to do with in state talent (old PA vs Iowa argument).

Can you make a list of each team without a Champ showing the highest finish they have achieved?

You can do it just as easily as I can. Go to each team's site and find the history section. I did it to make this list. Why don't you take a turn?

On 5/28/2021 at 9:20 AM, Boompa said:

I still cannot figure out why NC as a state is not really getting better at wrestling at the younger ages.  I think the state only sent 5 guys to NCAA's this year and is a rapidly growing state in population.

But proof that 7 D1 programs and a growing population proves that has nothing to do with in state talent (old PA vs Iowa argument).

Good point, but if the rosters are mostly filled with students from out of state, like another poster stated above, they likely aren't sticking around to coach high school/youth within the state after they graduate. Most of the college programs in PA probably have more instate guys on their rosters and would stick around after college.

I considered population size but it doesn't look much different with 12.8 million for PA vs 10.5 million for NC (also Iowa is 3.1 million for reference).

52 minutes ago, Relentless125 said:

Good point, but if the rosters are mostly filled with students from out of state, like another poster stated above, they likely aren't sticking around to coach high school/youth within the state after they graduate. Most of the college programs in PA probably have more instate guys on their rosters and would stick around after college.

I considered population size but it doesn't look much different with 12.8 million for PA vs 10.5 million for NC (also Iowa is 3.1 million for reference).

I do think NC is improving but they do still have a long way to go.  They also have a lot of transplants from NJ/OH/PA/NY which seems to have helped places like GA although GA may have passed NC at this point in terms of guys making national noise.  NC has had some guys do well nationally in HS but then didn’t pan out in college.   Hopefully Machiavello gave guys some motivation.

But yea, I could be wrong but I don’t believe NC State, UNC or even Campbell recruit too much in NC.  App State does and I hope they are able to jump levels.  It’s in a cool town with a cool campus and even a historically good football team.  Really the complete opposite of Campbell in terms of the overall school IMO (Campbell is in the middle of nowhere and I believe is in a dry town).

On 5/27/2021 at 8:30 PM, 1032004 said:

Speaking of droughts I believe Mike Mach was the first ever D1 champ that went to HS in NC.  

That honor belongs to Tab Thacker. 1984 D1 champ at Heavyweight, went to West Forsyth. 

On 5/26/2021 at 6:15 PM, IronChef said:

Duke, UNC, NC State, Campbell, Gardner Webb, App State, Davidson

There is talk about Western Carolina University adding wrestling. 

On 5/29/2021 at 1:33 PM, TobusRex said:

Pfffft, how many people are that multi-talented? 

1 school did it...Or I should say 1 sports team at a university did until university stepped up to interject.

On 5/31/2021 at 8:23 AM, justanidea said:

That honor belongs to Tab Thacker. 1984 D1 champ at Heavyweight, went to West Forsyth. 

Ah thanks.  Was he the only one before Mach?    He was really big right?