IronChef

Long title droughts

3 hours ago, Swayz said:

Catamounts would do well.

I'm curious why you think so (I'm a WCU alum). Do you think they might be able to tap into the talent in the Hickory and Winston-Salem/Greensboro region, maybe parts of Georgia and Virginia? I think there would be a major challenge recruiting against App State. 

1 hour ago, 1032004 said:

Ah thanks.  Was he the only one before Mach?    He was really big right?  

I'm pretty sure those are the only two. (Aside yo other NCers -- any outside of D1? I know Daniel Ownbey from Enka was a 2X D2 champ)

Tab Thacker was the last champion in the unlimited era. There are sources from the time that list him as 6'4", 450 lbs. He had a career in film & TV acting after wrestling, and passed away in 2007.

Edited by justanidea
Slight wording

On 6/1/2021 at 1:57 PM, justanidea said:

I'm curious why you think so (I'm a WCU alum). Do you think they might be able to tap into the talent in the Hickory and Winston-Salem/Greensboro region, maybe parts of Georgia and Virginia? I think there would be a major challenge recruiting against App State. 

I honsestly think it has a lot going on for where it is.   Smart coaches don't just stick to their backyard,  you need someone with drive and can realize that the amount of DIs are more than plentiful North Carolina.   While it is important to snag the local kids,  it shouldn't be live and die by them.   You are in very  short drives of many neighboring states and can pluck talent from those.   Add in the success of NAIA division with 8 teams in the top 10,  and I am certain you can lure some guys that could be at a DI,  but were not recruited hard away to WCU.  Need a driven coach though.  Don't just hire a guy that was a multi time NCAA champ,  hire a guy that is willing to be up half the night and has come from a smaller program where you do almost all the work.   If they add,  they have a great catalog of majors  (like if you can't find what you want to major in at that school,  then I'm not sure where to point you).    If I am coaching in Cullowhee, NC  a majority of my recruiting would be from Northern Georgia,  Tenessee,  Southern Ohio,  SE  Indiana.   I would also target Florida pretty hard as well as the juco ranks.    WCU  needs if hiring would be smart to go after individuals that already understand the area and have proven to be energetic on not being complacent.  Names that come to mind are;   OT Johnson,   Omi Acosta,  Javier Maldonado,  Corey Ruff,  and Danny Irwin to name a few.   If the funding is there to support a "BIG NAME Coach"  then maybe find a proven DI guy or top DI assistant,  but day 1 should include expectations such as roster size needs to be 26 at the lowest to start the season and maybe cap it at 34 at the most if room allows for it.   Need facilities dedicated to wanting to win.  Initially take what you can,  but if want to be competitive  and snag recruits,  you best invest $$$   in a room  because kids these days will head over to another division for the facilities if everything is close on comparison.  

With all due respect to App State,   if you hire a person with the goal of out doing App State,   You will be better than App State (hopefully)....I would hope you find someone that would want to be the best in the state or region....so I'd be wanting the guy that says we want to take out Pop's team at NcState.   

Edited by Swayz

On 6/1/2021 at 2:57 PM, justanidea said:

A study recommended WCU add wrestling.  A member of their Board of Governors (or whatever) is a wrestling person.  https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/Features/2020/September/09/Will-Western-Carolina-add-mens-and-womens-wrestling

Then there's the North Carolina Promise program.  $500/semester for in-state tuition goes a lot further than $7500 at App State.    Also App State isn't fully funded for scholarships.  So

On 6/3/2021 at 11:05 AM, Swayz said:

I honsestly think it has a lot going on for where it is.   Smart coaches don't just stick to their backyard,  you need someone with drive and can realize that the amount of DIs are more than plentiful North Carolina.   While it is important to snag the local kids,  it shouldn't be live and die by them.   You are in very  short drives of many neighboring states and can pluck talent from those.   Add in the success of NAIA division with 8 teams in the top 10,  and I am certain you can lure some guys that could be at a DI,  but were not recruited hard away to WCU.  Need a driven coach though.  Don't just hire a guy that was a multi time NCAA champ,  hire a guy that is willing to be up half the night and has come from a smaller program where you do almost all the work.   If they add,  they have a great catalog of majors  (like if you can't find what you want to major in at that school,  then I'm not sure where to point you).    If I am coaching in Cullowhee, NC  a majority of my recruiting would be from Northern Georgia,  Tenessee,  Southern Ohio,  SE  Indiana.   I would also target Florida pretty hard as well as the juco ranks.    WCU  needs if hiring would be smart to go after individuals that already understand the area and have proven to be energetic on not being complacent.  Names that come to mind are;   OT Johnson,   Omi Acosta,  Javier Maldonado,  Corey Ruff,  and Danny Irwin to name a few.   If the funding is there to support a "BIG NAME Coach"  then maybe find a proven DI guy or top DI assistant,  but day 1 should include expectations such as roster size needs to be 26 at the lowest to start the season and maybe cap it at 34 at the most if room allows for it.   Need facilities dedicated to wanting to win.  Initially take what you can,  but if want to be competitive  and snag recruits,  you best invest $$$   in a room  because kids these days will head over to another division for the facilities if everything is close on comparison.  

With all due respect to App State,   if you hire a person with the goal of out doing App State,   You will be better than App State (hopefully)....I would hope you find someone that would want to be the best in the state or region....so I'd be wanting the guy that says we want to take out Pop's team at NcState.   

JMB most definitely has the goal of taking out NCST.. he also has been snagging northern kids along with the local ones. He also always produces a team that scraps hard and over achieves for what talent they have.

Asides from a singular 8th place from the citadel and Campbell.. app state has produced pretty much all of the NCAA points and AA finishes for the socon for The last decade.