lu1979

Olympic Procedures for Delegations

I heard today that another Sport's USA governing body (Tae Kwon Do) had received info as to how athletes would be managed during the upcoming Olympics.  According to what I was told the athletes and the delegations associated with them would be showing up at the Olympic area 2 days prior to their events and will have to be leaving 1 day after their event is completed.  This makes sense considering the pandemic situation and will minimize the# of people in the Olympic village and around the venues. .  However it will be very different experience for Olympic athletes than it has been in the past when the Olympians had spent the whole two weeks in the village and could go to other events after finishing competition..  I would guess it will also pretty much eliminate having much of a opening or closing ceremonies.   That is not an objection just an observation.  I am for anything that will allow them to run the Games in as safe a manner as possible.  Still it is a shame for the Athletes that they don't get the full Olympic experience.  I had not heard this through USAW yet   Has USAW said anything about this yet?

That's interesting. By Olympic area do you mean they have to arrive in Japan no more than 2 days prior to their event taking place or are you referring to just the Olympic village and they can be else where in the country? I assume you mean the athletes can only enter the country 2 days prior, could cause some problems for acclimatisation. 

On 5/28/2021 at 4:03 PM, Shiraz123 said:

That's interesting. By Olympic area do you mean they have to arrive in Japan no more than 2 days prior to their event taking place or are you referring to just the Olympic village and they can be else where in the country? I assume you mean the athletes can only enter the country 2 days prior, could cause some problems for acclimatization. 

I believe they were talking about staying in the facilities provided to the delegations by the Olympic organizing group.  I am not sure if they could make other arrangements within Japan/Tokyo to allow them to come into the country earlier.  In previous Olympics the Athletes could stay in the Olympic housing from before the Opening ceremonies to after the closing ceremonies.   That was the plan for this Olympics too until Covid changed everything.

10 minutes ago, lu_alum said:

That should significantly reduce the spend against the IOC’s condom budget.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last I heard ‘Murica is about breaking records and we aren’t going to let a lil ol global pandemic or Carl’s moral standards get in our way. 

Winter Olympics: Record number of condoms given to athletes

Olympic organizers say they'll hand out 150,000 free condoms but want athletes to stay 6 feet away from one another — and the internet is having a field day over the contradiction

1 hour ago, NJDan said:

Does this mean athletes will not attend closing or opening ceremonies as a general rule?

Or are they doing away with the ceremonies altogether, perhaps to reduced crowds?

I have heard that they may try to do some type of virtual ceremony.  We will see