CoachWrestling

Rumor: Rob Koll to Stanford

This would be great for the sport. I’m sure Cornell would be able to recruit a great coach to take over what Koll has built too, so there should only be a moderate drop off in terms of the long term prospects of the program. It might be tough in the short term though if Yianni/Vito and a couple others transfer. 

7 minutes ago, Billyhoyle said:

This would be great for the sport. I’m sure Cornell would be able to recruit a great coach to take over what Koll has built too, so there should only be a moderate drop off in terms of the long term prospects of the program. It might be tough in the short term though if Yianni/Vito and a couple others transfer. 

From the outside it looks like Yianni's allegiance is more to Grey than Koll. Think he'd be more likely to follow Grey somewhere.

This would be incredible.  As stated above, someone should be able to maintain Cornell and keep them a top tier program.  Koll could continue to build on the foundation that Borelli, Blake, and Tirapelle have laid.  

I think this would be great for NCAA wrestling, and especially west coast/Pac 12 wrestling.

I do feel for Ray Blake though if this happens.  Any chance he would stay and team with Koll?

Edited by OR
misspelling

I think Cornell is in a tough spot in replacing Koll, if it happens. Grey has paid his dues and the guys love him. But I would think that Hahn would be a bigger name and better recruiter. If Dake could take over, that'd be hitting on all cylinders.

2 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

Grey is so due.  

16 minutes ago, NJDan said:

I think Cornell is in a tough spot in replacing Koll, if it happens. Grey has paid his dues and the guys love him. But I would think that Hahn would be a bigger name and better recruiter. If Dake could take over, that'd be hitting on all cylinders.

Dake is not ready to be a head coach. He may go another cycle. I also think it's not crazy to think he may follow Koll. They are pretty close.

Anything is possible, but it seems odd that a program about to be cut due to supposed financial issues is going to hand out the richest contract in college wrestling, no matter how much money they’ve raised. Also, why would Mineo have a source with this information? 

2 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Anything is possible, but it seems odd that a program about to be cut due to supposed financial issues is going to hand out the richest contract in college wrestling, no matter how much money they’ve raised. Also, why would Mineo have a source with this information? 

Seems odd, but also very much depends on where the pending lawsuit stands and how much sh*t the current AD is in/put Stanford in.

Stanford may have some serious backpedaling to do.

Just now, Drew87 said:

Seems odd, but also very much depends on where the pending lawsuit stands and how much sh*t the current AD is in/put Stanford in.

Stanford may have some serious backpedaling to do.

I'm not aware of the lawsuit and I'm no legal expert (I'm more of a financial guy... talk to Edmund Randolph about legal proceedings), but I think backpedaling is one of the last things you want to do when being sued.  I would imagine that it shows some degree of liability.

2 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

I'm not aware of the lawsuit and I'm no legal expert (I'm more of a financial guy... talk to Edmund Randolph about legal proceedings), but I think backpedaling is one of the last things you want to do when being sued.  I would imagine that it shows some degree of liability.

Could be, but schools tend to have things structured very well, where any bad act on the part of any employee can be parked clearly on the shoulders of that individual. If there is any traction to the lawsuit, moves to support the teams could concurrently distance Stanford from that AD.  

Purely hypothetical.

44 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Cornell’s behavior during the pandemic has apparently been nothing short of treating the students like they are inmates at nearby Five Points Correctional Facility, rather than students at an Ivy League institution, and it’s not like they made much effort to hide it. https://covid.cornell.edu/testing/dashboard/#about-alerts

This is bigger than money. This is more about the principle and basically having to deal with another year of post season bans for no reason is pushing them out. At the same time expensive California will demand a lot more money to live the same life as in Ithaca. 

When people are pushed around and ready to move on they will. I would guess Grey might be going with. A lot of guys might be leaving Cornell.

If Koll leaves it sets up like a Cinderella story, Dake wins his Gold or Silver and immediately takes over Cornell like he was always meant to do.  He's too old for another Olympic cycle, this is his once chance 

1 minute ago, Cowboy08 said:

If Koll leaves it sets up like a Cinderella story, Dake wins his Gold or Silver and immediately takes over Cornell like he was always meant to do.  He's too old for another Olympic cycle, this is his once chance 

Duh.  Dake is turning 23 soon.  What AD is putting a 23 year old in charge of a top 10 team? #ReverseAging

Edited by AHamilton

3 minutes ago, AHamilton said:

Duh.  Dake is turning 23 soon.  What AD is putting a 23 year old in charge of a top 10 team? #ReverseAging

Maybe. If you're right, a year from now he can start wrestling again for the team and be the first player coach in NCAA history.

3 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Maybe. If you're right, a year from now he can start wrestling again for the team and be the first player coach in NCAA history.

That would be pretty cool.  But he might be in a situation where he needs to get a drivers license first.

Edited by AHamilton

2 minutes ago, NJDan said:

Wasn't Koll the youngest D1 head wrestling coach in the country when he took the Cornell job?