Jump to content
CoachWrestling

Rumor: Rob Koll to Stanford

Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, IronChef said:

Those angling for Dake to get the Cornell job have an extreme misunderstanding about why Cornell is good at wrestling.

What's the reason? Do tell.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another aside to this, though it may have nothing to do with wrestling, is Cornell is in a financial crunch. Staff and profs are getting paid on a delayed basis if at all right now.  The Asian, Chinese, are not getting into the USA right now. Chinese make up a substantial percentage of the student body at Cornell ,and bring lots of money to the university.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, southend said:

Another aside to this, though it may have nothing to do with wrestling, is Cornell is in a financial crunch. Staff and profs are getting paid on a delayed basis if at all right now.  The Asian, Chinese, are not getting into the USA right now. Chinese make up a substantial percentage of the student body at Cornell ,and bring lots of money to the university.   

Cornell is hardly in a financial crunch.

Cornell’s endowment generated a 1.9% return, in line with its benchmark for the fiscal year ending June 30, despite the COVID-19 pandemic’s significant effect on the overall market. Cornell’s FY 2020 return brought the three-year annualized return to 5.9%, compared with a three-year annualized benchmark return of 5.4%.

With long-term investments earning 1.9%, assets at the end of the fiscal year stood at $7.2 billion, slightly down from last year’s record total of $7.3 billion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Maximus Meridius said:

Cornell is hardly in a financial crunch.

Cornell’s endowment generated a 1.9% return, in line with its benchmark for the fiscal year ending June 30, despite the COVID-19 pandemic’s significant effect on the overall market. Cornell’s FY 2020 return brought the three-year annualized return to 5.9%, compared with a three-year annualized benchmark return of 5.4%.

With long-term investments earning 1.9%, assets at the end of the fiscal year stood at $7.2 billion, slightly down from last year’s record total of $7.3 billion.

Assets invested is one thing, but lots of colleges have leaned very heavily on piling Chinese students into their masters programs to cover up fiscal irresponsibilities.  travel restrictions have brought a lot of this irresponsibility to light, and completely turned operating budgets and capital plans upside down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, IronChef said:

Anything is possible, but it seems odd that a program about to be cut due to supposed financial issues is going to hand out the richest contract in college wrestling, no matter how much money they’ve raised. Also, why would Mineo have a source with this information? 

I wouldn’t be surprised if his source is Grey honestly.  Although looking at his other tweets has me wondering if he’s going too.

Edited by 1032004

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Cornell’s behavior during the pandemic has apparently been nothing short of treating the students like they are inmates at nearby Five Points Correctional Facility, rather than students at an Ivy League institution, and it’s not like they made much effort to hide it. https://covid.cornell.edu/testing/dashboard/#about-alerts

 

7 hours ago, Lunaticfringe said:

This is bigger than money. This is more about the principle and basically having to deal with another year of post season bans for no reason is pushing them out. At the same time expensive California will demand a lot more money to live the same life as in Ithaca. 
 

When people are pushed around and ready to move on they will. I would guess Grey might be going with. A lot of guys might be leaving Cornell.

Cornell has acted exceptionally well during the pandemic to put their students and faculty first by ensuring the virus didn’t spread on campus. There is zero chance that they won’t participate in the upcoming season/postseason. I think Koll moving is a great thing, but I don’t view it as an indictment of Cornell.
 

Cornell has been incredibly accommodating to Koll over the years, allowing students to transfer in from community college and take gap years. I would be very surprised if this is about some type of ill will. Rather-the opportunity to turn Stanford into a powerhouse may be just too much to pass up. Let’s just be honest...living in Palo Alto is way better than Ithaca. That may be a factor for him as well,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Billyhoyle said:

 

Cornell has acted exceptionally well during the pandemic to put their students and faculty first by ensuring the virus didn’t spread on campus. There is zero chance that they won’t participate in the upcoming season/postseason. I think Koll moving is a great thing, but I don’t view it as an indictment of Cornell.
 

Cornell has been incredibly accommodating to Koll over the years, allowing students to transfer in from community college and take gap years. I would be very surprised if this is about some type of ill will. Rather-the opportunity to turn Stanford into a powerhouse may be just too much to pass up. Let’s just be honest...living in Palo Alto is way better than Ithaca. That may be a factor for him as well,

Mineo seems to be now claiming that Koll got in some kind of trouble for holding off-campus workouts...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SetonHallPirate said:

Cornell’s behavior during the pandemic has apparently been nothing short of treating the students like they are inmates at nearby Five Points Correctional Facility, rather than students at an Ivy League institution, and it’s not like they made much effort to hide it. https://covid.cornell.edu/testing/dashboard/#about-alerts

Compare Cornell's positivity rate to, say Penn State's during the pandemic.  They established protocols to protect the community, to which everyone agreed.  And it worked.  Despite Gabe Dean's complaining.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, klehner said:

Compare Cornell's positivity rate to, say Penn State's during the pandemic.  They established protocols to protect the community, to which everyone agreed.  And it worked.  Despite Gabe Dean's complaining.

How many kids died at Penn State?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to this article, https://playersbio.com/cael-sanderson-bio/#:~:text=Talking about his salary%2C Sanderson,include any performance-based bonuses., Cael makes $200K per year. That's at a program that regularly sells out large arenas Why would Stanford pay Koll more than twice what Cael makes for running a program that attracts small crowds at best?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Drew87 said:

Assets invested is one thing, but lots of colleges have leaned very heavily on piling Chinese students into their masters programs to cover up fiscal irresponsibilities.  travel restrictions have brought a lot of this irresponsibility to light, and completely turned operating budgets and capital plans upside down.

Absolutely, which is the case here.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, sthnj said:

How many kids died at Penn State?

How many people became sick?  How many people will suffer long-term damage?  How many people died through contact with those who got sick?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, NJDan said:

According to this article, https://playersbio.com/cael-sanderson-bio/#:~:text=Talking about his salary%2C Sanderson,include any performance-based bonuses., Cael makes $200K per year. That's at a program that regularly sells out large arenas Why would Stanford pay Koll more than twice what Cael makes for running a program that attracts small crowds at best?

I am not sure how much stock I would put in an article where basic English sentences present such difficulty:

When was Tom Brands and Cael Sanderson have been named as volunteer U.S. Freestyle World Team Coaches?

And they have a slight tendency to under estimate:

Is Cael Sanderson the best collegiate wrestler of all time?

Cael falls on the top 10 range among all other collegiate wrestlers of all time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, southend said:

Looks like to me Cornell is on the ropes, from multiple fronts. We shall see how these things play out. 

Looks to me like they have three or four potential national champs. Not really "on the ropes."

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
According to this article, https://playersbio.com/cael-sanderson-bio/#:~:text=Talking about his salary%2C Sanderson,include any performance-based bonuses., Cael makes $200K per year. That's at a program that regularly sells out large arenas Why would Stanford pay Koll more than twice what Cael makes for running a program that attracts small crowds at best?

Cost of living in California? Same home is probably 3x.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...